Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2015, 07:31 AM   #1

2004 Beaver Monterey "Check Engine" Dash Lights

I'm curious about a couple of the dash lights on my 04 Monterey. I have a waring light that I am getting intermittently. The warning says "Check Engine" I also have a "Stop Engine" light and that one is not coming on. The thing I find odd is that both lights are Red.

If I understand the lights correctly the Check Engine is the warning and probably should be yellow. Does this sound logical?

Chris
atamians is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 06:10 PM   #2

I recently purchased a engine monitor system got it at Camping World because they had it in stock for a good price. I am including a link to one at PPL, but they are available in several places. It allows you to live monitor the RV while you are driving and will find engine codes by number. Look up your engine and see what the number code is related to.

ScanGauge D Diesel Engine Monitor by Linear Logic - PPL Motor Homes
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
To misquote Shakespeare: "An Engine light by any color is still an Engine light". I think your engine may be trying to tell you something. I spent many-an-hour tracing an intermittent ABS/ATC light before I found it (bad connection). Drove me nuts imagining all the bad things it coulda been.

Like Jamie65 suggested, the ScanGaugeD (or similar code-checker or monitor) will snag any trouble/fault codes and display them on the screen. Simple to then look them up online. Some codes are volatile (meaning they clear if the trouble goes away) and some are non-volatile (stay in memory until cleared), so best time to catch one that is intermittent is while it's happening.

They are invaluable, not only for engine monitoring but also to simply see what parameters the engine is doing. I have a ScanGuageII in each car, and a ScanGaugeD and VMSpc in the rv (but not running both at the same time). Heck, you can even see how poor your fuel mileage is instantly .
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #4

The color of the warning light isn't significant, it's that it came on and should be checked out. Our Monaco has a Warning light as well as the Stop Engine light. Ours came on with a noticeable loss of power. I got the scan guage and did retrieve a code which had something to do with a low voltage reading in the injector circuit. It was nothing I could deal with at the time. A mechanic found two broken injector clips under the valve cover. I would suggest you get it checked out. I use the Scan Guage to monitor engine temps, oil pressure and such. You can set it up to monitor a variety of things. It's much easier for me to read quickly than the dash gauges.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:23 AM   #5

Interesting, i"ll have to look into the scan gauge. I had to change the alternator which I finished this past weekend. Now on to the Warning Light.
atamians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #6

One thing everybody should know is a STOP engine light. Only certain thing slight this such as No Oil Pressure, Low Coolant Level, Engine Overheat, and some have Oil Temp. If that light comes on then in most cases if you don't pull over and shut down then you are going to do serious damage and also the engine may shut down in 20 seconds. The CEL is no way as serious but the engine may go into a derated mm or what is called a limp home mode.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver, dash, lights