Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2004 diplomat 36PST low volume alarm

I have a unusal low volume alarm when there is dampness and have cleaned and siliconed the sensors on the air tank's.This usually only happens when I have been driving in the rain but today our humidity is high and when I started up the unit it was there,audible but very low and after it ran for a while it went away which makes me think it is near the motor and dried out from the heat.When we have been on the road and it has happened it does go away if you sit on the side of the road for a while with the engine running but comes back once you start driving in the rain again.
People have also talked about a oil sensor that you should clean and silicon.
Does anyone have idea's or know where that sensor is.
Thanks,this thing is driving me crazy and will be heading south in the rain in dec and would like to try and resolve it before hand
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #2

If it's engine related, I'm surprised that you don't also have a light of some kind coming on.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #3

Keep us posted on this. I'm very interested to learn the outcome. As an RV technician, I see new things almost every day and the more I learn, the better I can serve the customer.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
HatzicGuy......Is it an alarm that doesn't operate when you first fire up the coach, like a low air alarm? Is this an alarm that you've never heard before, except when it goes off. Most of the alarms in coach come on during startup. If it's related to the air tanks, it should sound like the low air alarm. Need more info.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RE:Low volume Alarm
The other day when I started the rig up is the first time I heard the alarm after the normal alarms without driving in the rain but our humidity is 90% right now.I can say that this noise comes on every time we drive in the rain and some times it's so low you have to really listen for it but the more we drive in crappy weather the louder it becomes but is still at maybe 1/8 to 1/4 the volume of the normal alarms.It is also not like a normal alarm sound it even changes pitch slightly and there are no visual indicaters of anything wrong.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Does it by chance start out as a quiet chirp and then turn into an alarm as it gets louder?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #7

KZ RV Club
I have a 04 Diplomat and we always have a very quiet alarm when it is wet. I have never seen any other symptom of problems so have began to just ignore the sound. We live in Denver and travel mostly in the southwest so moisture is seldom an issue.
Have had the alarm for about 4 years.

Jerry
JerrySat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #8

This is why we have these forums, to help each other.

Been there, done it, had the same problem and is an easy fix but takes some time.
This low alarm only comes on in wet conditions. If you drive in a heavy rain the alarm will get real louder.

The repair is just a matter of cleaning up dirty connections on the following items. All must be done!!!! Also coat all connectors with electrolytic grease.

1) Alternator
2) Fuel sending unit
3) Leveling jack sensor on pump
4) Air tank front and rear tanks sensors. If the sensors are really rusty replace them.
5) Low coolant senor on the over flow tank.
6) May have to replace the over flow sensor if there is a build up on the part of the sensor that goes into the over flow tank. Mine had to be replaced. There are two types of sensors, one I do not know who makes it but the one I needed was off a Ford F250 Super Duty.The senor just srews in from the side of the tank.
7) I also had to clean up the sensor on the bottom of the park brake switch.

About a month later I would get a very loud alarm go off for a few seconds for unknown reason while driving or going from reverse to drive. The sensor under the parking brake switch was the cause and had to replace it.
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RE:Low volume alarm

Yep,the alarm does chirp low and get louder in more rain but never to the level of real alarm.
Thanks for the info on all the sensor units I have already done the air tanks and still have the problem so will move on to the other suggestion.
I will let people know the final results.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #10

Let me know if you still have a problem. I knew others with the same problem and they did what I advised except they only cleaned up the connections on the air tank sensors that were rusty. Even after a proper cleaning the sensor still required replacement. The sensor has an external cover that is crimped on the edges. As these edges rust they have pin holes that allow moisture to enter and will set off the alarm.

When new sensors were installed a good quality silicone sealant was used around the crimped cover.

Also here is the info on the sensor under the parking brake switch.
park brake switch
Nason Company
P/N: SM-1C-66R/WP28
1307 S. Highway 11
Order from one of the following Nason Distributors
Walhalla, SC 29691
Cross Company 866-219-8217
800-229-4955
Sunsource 800-228-5800
http://www.nasonptc.com/
Flow Dynamics 205-581-1200
Hydraulic Energy Products 800-800-3471