Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #1

Question 2004 Endeavor 40 PST ISC Radiator Hoses

All my hoses on the engine and heater hoses are original hoses, thus are 10 years old. The coach has 20,000 miles and is stored in a garage. These hoses appear ok but I have concerns if I should be proactive and replace these hoses.
Does anyone have the dimensions, manufacture, and part numbers for these hoses? There appears to be two large elbow type hoses from the engine to the transmission cooler and some other smaller hoses.
Any suggestions on how best to replace these hoses?
Heater hose size and number of feet requires?
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Since no one has responded to your question I'll give my take. For the most part the hoses on our motor home engines are straight sections of multi-ply industrial or marine quality made to last many years unless subjected to excess heat of sun. Carefully inspect and if there are no visible signs of deterioration don't fix whats not broken.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:40 AM   #3

I haven't responded because I don't have my coach here to look at, so I would have a better idea of what your describing. The thing that confuses me is that you say they go to the transmission cooler. If yours is the same as my 02, I think you are talking about the 90% elbows that go from the engine inlet & outlet connecting to the metal tubes that go to the radiator. As I recall one was on the top of the engine and one on the bottom. I replaced the top one when I replaced the thermostat while replacing the water pump. It did appear that the hose was starting to age a little, although mine had a 100k miles on it at the time. I did struggle trying to find one locally, it was a 2.25" x2.25" 90 degree elbow. I ended up buying a silicone one on ebay for $15. including shipping. Since I wasn't finding one locally I went ahead and ordered a second one for the bottom. I haven't replaced that one yet but have it with me if the original fails. That was 2 years ago so DtBt is right that they will last many years. If it were me I might be tempted to order a spare and as long as I had it with me I wouldn't worry. I haven't done anything with heater hoses. Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #4

Thanks for your responses. Yes I am referring to the 90% elbows that go from the engine inlet & outlet connecting to the metal tubes that go to the radiator. Thank you for the dimensions.
In review I gather that these hose do last a long time.
I now wonder; what has been the average life expectancy for these hoses? How many people carry spares?
Does anyone have part number and manufactures?
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
just call the chassis manufacturer with the vin
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:15 PM   #6

You don't need no stinkin part#. Seriously any 90 degree 2.25" x 2.25" would work. Worst case scenario you might have to trim a little off the ends but they all seem to be pretty uniform in length. My understanding is that is why there is the combination of the rubber elbows along with the metal tubes, that way you don't have to wait for some special hose and can get back on the road quickly, if you did have a hose failure. The only problem is that the 2.25" does not seem to be that easy to find locally. It is to big for most autos and to small for most truck parts stores. I went to 3 auto parts, 1 rv, and 2 truck parts stores before giving up and ordering one on ebay. There you can buy a silicone one that should outlast the rubber one and you can even pick your color. If you do go with silicone just make sure to get the smooth clamps that are intended to use with it. Some sellers will sell as a package, as an example 2 25" 3 Ply 90° Elbow Turbo Piping High Temp Coupler Silicone Hose Blue T Clamp | eBay
As I shared earlier I replaced the top one at approx. 10yrs & 100k miles. It probably would have made a least a couple of more years but since I had it off I went ahead and replaced it. I would just guess that avg.life might be 15yrs. As far as carrying a spare I have no idea how many do, but if I had a rig that was 10+yrs old I would certainly consider it. I couldn't find one in my home town, I can just imagine how much fun it would be hunting one in a strange town. For <$15. and a few ounces to me it is a no brainer. I tend to store things like this in what I consider wasted storage space. In my case the cabinet to the right of the closet doors, you take out the bottom drawer and below it is a 18" wasted space. Perfect for something like this, hopefully I'll never need it but I know right where it is if I do. Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:10 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When should the coolant hoses be replaced? Good question.

The CAC failed last winter, so I had to get it rebuilt. That meant removing the radiator and CAC from the coach. All the coolant hoses were original, so I decided to replace every hose at that time.

I was pleasantly surprised to note that every hose I removed was in excellent condition, and appeared to be good to use for many more years. Of course, it only takes one hose failure to ruin an engine.

I didn't replace heater hoses. I did splice a new 3' section of heater hose at the engine because the hose had been laying against a sharp frame member, and was almost worn through.

As part of my self-maintenance work, I spend considerable time tracing all hoses, looking for places where a hose is rubbing against something sharp. I have found several hydraulic hoses that were being damaged this way. I haven't replaced any of them. I caught them before they were cut too badly, and repositioned them to eliminate the problem.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator