Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #1

2004 Monaco Knight Trailer Brakes

Hello Forum, new member here looking for a solid answer. I just bought a 2004 Monaco Knight 38PDD and I need to install a trailer brake controller. Im really struggling with this RV not being prewired but all my online research says its not.

Has anyone on the forum done this already? Can you shed some help?

there is a 7pin and 4 pin connector on the 10k hitch. and the prior owner pulled a car dolly so im going to assume that all the lights are wired.

Do i have to just run the single blue wire for the brakes to the connector, which i hope has a pigtail on it so I can just tap into it?

I am an electrical engineer and I had to so something similar on my Class C Fleetwood. (prewired ford, but the blue wire didnt go all the way to the trailer plug. I just had to extend it)

Thanks for all your help

Jeff
Smaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Not prewired but there are 4 spare wires but good luck finding them. I spent hours and did find them up front (in the dash) but not in the back...OK, a year later I found them behind the rear run box. Getting the air brake signal up from the front run box was an issue too. Finally decided to mount the brake controller in the engine compartment where everything is easy to find. Once the gain is set, do you really need to change it? Maybe put a switch on the blue wire so you can turn the brakes off when nothing on the trailer, assuming a car trailer.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jeff! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry that I can't offer help on that.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:39 PM   #4

Jeff-

1) By the owner's manual (link here, page 2-55), your coach did not come with a 7-pin or 4-pin connector from the factory. If that is the case, someone added them later. If so, then perhaps the 7-pin connector has the necessary wires.

2) If the prior owner towed a dolly, then perhaps it had electric brakes. If so, then perhaps the 7-pin connector has the necessary wires.

3) If the 7-pin connector has the necessary wires, then you can use a signal tracer to find the other ends of the wires under the dash.

4) By the connector diagram in your owner's manual, it is likely that you coach has a 3-to-2 converter (such as the one at this link) within four feet of the 7-pin hitch connector.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #5

Yes youll need to connect the blue wire to the proper connector on the 7 pin round socket. Youll also need to connect the black wire to +12v, its best to use a 20 amp circuit breaker for this. As the electric brake coils on the trailer wheels wear eventually they could start to short against the drum if not maintained and the breaker will at least reset and give you some brakes as opposed to just blowing a fuse then none. Lastly you'll need to connect the red wire to the COLD side of your stoplight switch. This allows the controller to turn on the brake lights when u manually apply the trailer brakes via the slider on the controller.

If u dont already have a controller the T3 Tekonsha is the best ive ever used. It allows you to disable the power to the trailer brakes if your going downhill on long grades with exhaust or engine brake so you dont burn them up.

Best of luck if u need anything else let us know.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:47 AM   #6

Thanks for all the quick replies, A little more info for you. I already have a Prodigy P2 from my Class C.

I crawled under the coach last night and the 7 pin connector is fully populated and I could see a blue wire going into it. I didnt have enough time to start tracing it forward to see how far it goes.

The prior owner used to pull a car and he said he used an inertia brake system that sensed when he was on the coach brakes it applied the car brakes? never heard of this but thats what he said.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
Lastly you'll need to connect the red wire to the COLD side of your stoplight switch. This allows the controller to turn on the brake lights when u manually apply the trailer brakes via the slider on the controller.
can this be explained a little more please. which red wire?
Old 03-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #8

Heres a pic of my controller, it has a plug on back with 4 wires. The red one is the one to connect to the cold side of the stoplight switch. And I forgot the white wire goes to chassis ground.

On mine with air brakes, the cold side of the switch is located on bottom of Treadle valve, it is an air pressure switch when the pedal is depressed it closes and sends 12v to the brake lights. Use a meter and one side of the switch has 12v and the other 0v, connect the red wire to the side with 0v. But get someone to press brakes and make sure its the correct one first. Now the controller can activate the brake lights when you apply them manually.

If u need further help let me know. Best of luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C215C182-A7BE-4F9E-8C53-6DC944C1D058.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	236893  
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaay View Post
Thanks for all the quick replies, A little more info for you. I already have a Prodigy P2 from my Class C.

I crawled under the coach last night and the 7 pin connector is fully populated and I could see a blue wire going into it. I didnt have enough time to start tracing it forward to see how far it goes.

The prior owner used to pull a car and he said he used an inertia brake system that sensed when he was on the coach brakes it applied the car brakes? never heard of this but thats what he said.
Yes my tekonsha has the inertia braking also. It senses the coach slowing as im braking and applies the trailer brakes proportionally. I Wouldn’t have one without it.

Theres also a setting for the trailer size to set the starting braking current if u have a large and heavy trailer youd want to set this higher to have trailer brakes apply faster.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:29 AM   #10

Id also have to assume the prior owner had his car on a trailer with electric brakes. I dont know of any product to apply a cars hydraulic brakes via electric. When i flat tow my jeep it has an air to hydraulic cylinder i got from M&G in Athens TX that is fantastic.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #11

On my 2005 Diplomat with a PacBrake, when the PacBrake is engaged the brake lights are on (even with foot off of brake pedal). Question: are your brake lights activated with the PacBrake? If they are you risk burning up your trailer brakes. If needed I can explain how I solved this problem. Installed 2012, trailers towed: tow dolly, 7,000# duel axle flat bed and a 10,000# inclosed Hallmark Race trailer duel axle. With thousands of miles, all with electric brakes using a Prodigy 2.
RVH.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVH.O.G. View Post
On my 2005 Diplomat with a PacBrake, when the PacBrake is engaged the brake lights are on (even with foot off of brake pedal). Question: are your brake lights activated with the PacBrake? If they are you risk burning up your trailer brakes. If needed I can explain how I solved this problem. Installed 2012, trailers towed: tow dolly, 7,000# duel axle flat bed and a 10,000# inclosed Hallmark Race trailer duel axle. With thousands of miles, all with electric brakes using a Prodigy 2.
PacBrake the same thing as an exhaust brake?
Old 03-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, a Pacbrake is also an exhaust brake.

Several trailers and dollies come with mechanical surge brakes. When the tow vehicle slows down it compresses a small master cylinder in the trailer or dolly tongue which then applies the brakes.

A 2004 Monaco will not come from the factory with a trailer brake pre-wire. Hopefully your previous owner installed the trailer brake wire from the drivers seat to the rear trailer connector.
I've installed trailer brake controllers and wiring on three of our coaches. Two of them did not have a prewire and one did. Actually, I spent more time trying to locate the trailer brake prewire on the coach that came with it than I did just installing the wiring myself.
It is not hard, but time consuming. I also used a Tekonsha Prodigy. Great controller.
Link to thread, post 19. (There are some other helpful posts on the previous page.)
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/trai...-366077-2.html
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #14

thanks for all the replies, like i mentioned, the connector is there and it is populated. Once it stops raining ill trace it forward to see how far it goes. I also already have the P2 controller from my Class C.

ill add more when i find out more info.

Tags
brake, brakes, monaco, trailer