Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,

I was able to get under the coach today and follow around your instructions. My first problem was that there weren't any wires coming from my Radiator Fluid tank. I got in with a zoom camera and high intensity light and took pictures of all 6 sides of the tank. No wires. There is the 2 inch hose at the bottom and two 1/2 inch hoses in the back at the very top. With the ECU, I was able to take a clean white cloth and wipe around each of the wire bundles connecting and didn't come away with any wet residue. However, the coach hasn't been ran much in the last two weeks. I'd expect that radiator fluid following any wires would most likely do so once the fluid was heated.

I'll be taking the coach out next week. When I do, I'll run through the variable operations with the Jake and Cruise. I would like a copy of the ECU programming data you mentioned. That may be my other option and I know my shop doesn't have a the data for the Detroit.
OldeDoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #30

OldeDoggie, I am talking about on the radiator header tank that is above the motor on the drivers side. Look at the picture below. Right in the middle of the picture just above the air intake tube just to the right of the coolant sight gauge you can see the coolant level sensor on the side of the tank. Also, the coolant does not run down the outside of the wiring harness to the ECU it actually wicks down the inside of the wire and cannot be seen. If you have the black plastic sensor you can pull the plug off of it and stick the tip of your little finger into the sensor and see if it comes back out wet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coolant Level Sensor.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	55311  
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I have an 04 SIG with the Detroit. This thread is both interesting and informative. It made me go out and check my coolant level sensor and I found it to be brass. My jake operates exactly the way Mike describes. On our old Beaver Marquis, I had a Jake that only had the automatic mode with no foot switch. I really liked that set up--after all I had driven it about 150000+ miles. I'm still trying to get used to the foot switch and am considering having the reprograming done to have the automatic Jake function.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #32

Chet, how much delay do you have from hitting the footswitch until you feel the Jake engage? I have about a two second delay when I hit my footswitch which can feel like two minutes when you need it. The racecar trailer tow vehicle I drive is a Mack truck and it is automatic when I let up that it comes on. Can't make up my mind which is better. The only problem is with the automatic function is forgetting to turn it off if the roads are slick. On the Sig I have felt the backend move on a slick wet road when I have the Jake in high mode and hit the footswitch.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:43 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Chet, how much delay do you have from hitting the footswitch until you feel the Jake engage? I have about a two second delay when I hit my footswitch which can feel like two minutes when you need it.
Hi Mike,

I have the same delay and it is very distracting. Half the time I wonder if the Jake is malfunctioning before it finally comes on. Whereas on the Beaver in came on instantly, which I liked. I'd sure like to find a Allison shop that knows what they are doing and get it reprogramed.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
Hi Mike,

I have the same delay and it is very distracting. Half the time I wonder if the Jake is malfunctioning before it finally comes on. Whereas on the Beaver in came on instantly, which I liked. I'd sure like to find a Allison shop that knows what they are doing and get it reprogramed.
Wondering if the delay is in the foot switch some how. With the Beaver which doesn't have a foot switch as soon as your foot backs off the go pedal the Jake engages. Also when the Jake switch is on it displays "Engine Brake Engaged" or something like that in the dash, when you back off the pedal another display lights up stating the brake is on.
Every truck that I've driven over the years that had a Jake brake, it was always engaged with the throttle pedal, can't say about the new models but I would guess they are still the same, tooo many pedals confuse truck drivers.
Lee0920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #35

I use W W Williams. Look them up on the web and see if one is close to you. They are the guys that rebuild most Allidon transmissions for most of the USA and are a Detroit authorized repair facility. I do know the guy that installed the motor and transmission for Monaco. I will see if he knows anything about that delay on activation. As soon as it stops snowing I will venture out to my Sig and get the my ECU setup printout and scan it and put it on the web. When my ECU failed because of the coolant sensor leak I had a big problem getting it programmed correctly for the VORAD to cruise control interface. I believe if you program it to work off of releasing the throttle then it will not be applied by the VORAD. I would be happy just to get rid of that delay.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, did you find out anything about that delay? I have the same irritating delay in my coach. Hope there is something that can be done.

Thanks
Dave
Old 02-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #37

Steve Skinner are you there? Since your Jake comes on when you let up on the Accelarator is there any delay?
Old 02-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #38

pedals

Mike, on my 05 Exec with Detroit I don't have any extra pedal only brake and gas. But on my left arm rest i do have the rocker of hi off lo and when using hi or low the cruise want come on when hitting resume till you turn the rocker off then you can hit resume. As you remember mine too had the plastic sensor that I changed. Oh and change that avatar to the new carz. LOL
boaterok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:06 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Steve Skinner are you there? Since your Jake comes on when you let up on the Accelarator is there any delay?
Sorry Mike
My daughter Rachel and Cam who you met in Freeport just had their engagement party over the weekend. So lots of organizing, drinking and eating then cleaning up.
No delay on my Jake either on the foot pedal or throttle.
I understand from reading on I think the Jacobs site that often the delay is hard to analyze and fix.
So good luck worth that.
So you don't gave an automatic mode? Not that it matters. It's only handy whilst descending big hills. Jake stays on and just toggle between 3 and 6 cylinders or touch service brakes as required.
Just watched your Slopeside girl win gold.
Beat Our Torah Bright amongst others. - guess you are sick of looking at the white stuff.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:32 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone heading to any of the FMCA or Monaco Rally's in the coming months? Thinking about the August Oregon events and would like to meet of few signature owners to review and discuss choices in beverages, brakes, and other features of our coaches.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:51 AM   #41

OldeDoggie. Did you find your low coolant sensor as in the picture I posted?
Old 02-11-2014, 12:38 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
With respect to the Jake and Cruise issue. I found this Addendum to the Monaco Signature Manual for models 2000 which follows through to at least the 2004 model.

JAKE BRAKE (ENGINE BRAKING SYSTEM)
Engine brakes are devices that use the energy of engine compression to provide vehicle retardation.
Engine brakes provide the maximum retarding power at rated speed; therefore, gear selection is important. The “World” Allison transmission will automatically select the best down shift gear upon actuation of the foot switch for the Jake Brake.
The engine brakes convert the engine to an energy absorbing device to reduce the motor home speed. This is accomplished by a hydraulic circuit that opens the exhaust valves near the end of the compression stroke.
The amount of braking power available in a given engine series varies. Braking power depends on turbocharger boost pressure, engine speed, compression ratio, injector timing, and when the brakes open the exhaust valves.

Engine brake controls, with the fuel system, consist of the following:
1. A two-position selector switch.
2. An ON/OFF switch, which is the foot switch.
3. A throttle sensor.
Other switches for cruise control which affect engine brake operations are:
1. Cruise control ON/OFF and SET/RESUME switches (if the Engine Brakes in Cruise Control feature is turned “OFF”).
2. Service brake air pressure switch (If pedal activated engine braking is enabled).
The two-position selector switch is located next to the ON/OFF switch in the cab, and allows you to select the retarding power of one or two brakes. “LOW” activates the engine brake on three cylinders, and “HI” activates the engine brake on six cylinders. The Electronic Control Module then electronically enables or disables the engine brakes.
NOTE: Engine brakes can NOT be enabled when:
1. Cruise control is active and if the engine brakes in cruise control feature is turned OFF;
2. Engine speed goes below 850 RPM; or,
3. Electronic fault code is active.
The throttle sensor is part of the accelerator pedal assembly located in the cab, and will deactivate the engine brakes when depressed. The service brake pressure switch is attached to the service brake air supply line. Applying the service brakes while in cruise control will disengage the cruise and disengage the engine brakes. The Jake Brake can be used continuously down a hill, or a long freeway off ramp. The engine braking system will allow the engine temperature to drop while going downhill.

NOTE: Idle the engine 3 to 5 minutes at approximately 1000 RPM to warm the engine
before activating the engine brakes. Do not operate the engine brakes until the engine
oil temperature is above 30° C (86° F).

WARNING: The engine brakes (Jake Brake) are designed to assist the Motor home service brakes when slowing the motor home to a stop. Remember, service brakes will be required to bring the motor home to a stop.

Tags
brake, cruise control, monaco