RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 10:20 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2005 Monaco Cayman 36PDQ (Neptune) tank vent schematic

We’ve had our 2005 Monaco Cayman 36PDQ for about a year. We just returned from a trip (in the heat of Utah) and had a strong holding tank smell when we drove home. We boondocked for the long weekend and did not drain the holding tanks before returning home.

I have only found one roof tank vent (black tank I assume) but none for the gray water. I know there are two auto vents (one under the kitchen sink, the second under the bathroom sink), but I don’t think they can keep up with the vacuum from the tank draining when I drain the gray tank. It also burbs as I drain the gray tank. Also, as the gray tank fills, how would it vent the internal pressure from the water being added to it? Could this cause smells inside the coach.

I need to look in to this more, but I think I want to add a roof vent for the gray tank. Our RV is plumbed for a washer/dryer and this may be a good place to add a vent (at the rear of the coach).

Does anybody have a 2005 Monaco Cayman 36PDQ (Neptune) tank vent schematic so I can verify/discredit my theory of not having a gray tank roof vent? Or any other advice or recommendations?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2019, 10:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
After several days, no replies

So today I looked behind the wash machine panel and found a third autovent. I drilled a set of holes inline with the autovent through one shelf and out the roof (in the fiberglass end cap). Replaced the autovent with a 1-1/2" threaded coupler and a ~4' 1-1/2" ABS pipe out the roof. Installed a RV roof vent cover and done! Hopefully it will fix my problem

Old 07-20-2019, 04:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschreifels View Post
After several days, no replies

So today I looked behind the wash machine panel and found a third autovent. I drilled a set of holes inline with the autovent through one shelf and out the roof (in the fiberglass end cap). Replaced the autovent with a 1-1/2" threaded coupler and a ~4' 1-1/2" ABS pipe out the roof. Installed a RV roof vent cover and done! Hopefully it will fix my problem
Hopefully that'll solve your problem. We haven't had the issue on our 07. Thanks for following up, if we ever have an issue your remedy would help us.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:52 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Well I was experiencing a similar tank smell after a couple days of rv use. I traced it to the drain for a washing machine (don't have washer). Found the "J" trap was dry so poured some rv antifreeze in and taped the top shut. No more trouble with foul smells.

Safe travels and enjoy!
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That is exactly the way that our 01 Ambassador was plumbed. They ran it up from the washer drain, and it worked well on that rig. Hope yours yours out also. Happy Trails Bert

Tags
monaco, tank, vent