RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #1

2005 Safari Cheetah shocks

I'm trying to figure out what Bilstein shocks will fit this 2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ. I called Bilstein and they said I have a Monaco A chassis and then sent me to Source Engineering. Their prices for their "tuned" shocks is very high. I asked if I couldn't just order a stock shock of some kind and he said I could, but that put me back to searching for the right shock.

Bilstein lists 2004 shocks for this rig but not 2005. My chassis is a 2004 one, but the rig title shows 2005. It's a Raised Rail RR4R chassis.

Honestly, after a couple of hours trying to understand this I'm more lost than I was at the beginning.

nazpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #2

If your coach is on the RR4R chassis, you will better off with the Source Engineering custom valved shocks. Youd even be better with the Source Engineering REK. It includes shocks with the package as well as new air bags and lines and a ping tank for the front. If I can help further please let me know. I've been through all the mods with my 07 Neptune on the RR4R chassis.

Chad

onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
If your coach is on the RR4R chassis, you will better off with the Source Engineering custom valved shocks. Youd even be better with the Source Engineering REK. It includes shocks with the package as well as new air bags and lines and a ping tank for the front. If I can help further please let me know. I've been through all the mods with my 07 Neptune on the RR4R chassis.

Chad
Thanks - but at $100 more a shock I think I need to keep shopping.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazpaz View Post
I'm trying to figure out what Bilstein shocks will fit this 2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ.
I replaced mine a few years ago.

SDTruckspring.com is where I purchased. You might find them at a lower cost.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:55 PM   #5

Quote:
I changed my original Monroe shocks out to the standard Bilstein shocks. About a year later I changed the Bilstein out to the comfort turned shocks from Source. IMO, if you want the cheap route out, just replace the Monroe with more Monroe. You'll be much happier with them than the regular Bilstein, and also they'll be much cheaper.

Chad
Old 05-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #6

Quote:
I changed my original Monroe shocks out to the standard Bilstein shocks. About a year later I changed the Bilstein out to the comfort turned shocks from Source. IMO, if you want the cheap route out, just replace the Monroe with more Monroe. You'll be much happier with them than the regular Bilstein, and also they'll be much cheaper.

Chad
I'm thinking that wanting to avoid spending $250 for one shock isn't exactly being cheap.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:06 AM   #7

Quote:
I'm thinking that wanting to avoid spending $250 for one shock isn't exactly being cheap.
I wasn't saying that you were being cheap! My point was that the regular Bilsteins will not be a big change for the amount you will spend. I've had both of the Bilstein's and there's absolutely no comparison between the two. Ultimately it's your $$ and your choice, I was just trying to give you my $.02 worth since I've had both.

Chad
Old 05-18-2019, 06:02 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have a different chassis (RR8S) than the OP but I changed out my OEM shocks for the regular Bilsteins (not from Source Engineering) in an attempt to control porpoising but not stiffen the ride and the Bilsteins did exactly that. The ride is exactly what I was hoping for.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:31 AM   #9

Quote:
My point was that the regular Bilsteins will not be a big change for the amount you will spend.
Chad
For me, the Bilsteins were a great improvement to ride quality.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
That coach is on a RR8R chassis, not a RR4R
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark- View Post
For me, the Bilsteins were a great improvement to ride quality.
Mark, your coach is on the rr8r chassis which has a much softer suspension than our rr4r which with the factory airbags is pretty stiff already. The REK from Source Engineering really softens it up. It is a 100%improvement over the factory ride.
I tried the Bilstein regular shocks first trying to help the porpoising that the rr4r has. It did help with the porpoising but boy did it make the ride even harder than the worn out Monroe shocks that were on it.

Chad
Old 05-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Mark, your coach is on the rr8r chassis...
No it is not.

The OP coach and mine are the same year and model.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark- View Post
No it is not.

Not sure why you are saying "our". The OP coach and mine are the same year and model.
My bad, I thought yours was the rr8r chassis, I guess it was another one that posted that had the rr8r. I was simply passing along my experience with the Bilstein regular shocks. Like I said before that's my $.02 worth.

Chad
Old 05-18-2019, 11:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by monacojim View Post
That coach is on a RR8R chassis, not a RR4R
To which coach do your refer?

Tags
shocks