Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #1

2006 HR Ambassador 40DFD

I recently purchased a 2006 Ambassador 40DFD, and would be interested in connecting with anybody experienced with this model. It's our first MH, and will be primarily used in the Southeast. Well-maintained and in excellent overall condition. Just looking for thoughts, ideas, warnings, etc.!

Thanks!

Tommy
TommyHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 07 Monaco Knight 40 PDQ which is a sister to your HR . Different floor plan but everything else the same. We haven't had a whole lot of problems with ours and pretty much fixed and did all maint. my self.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHarris View Post
I recently purchased a 2006 Ambassador 40DFD, and would be interested in connecting with anybody experienced with this model. It's our first MH, and will be primarily used in the Southeast. Well-maintained and in excellent overall condition. Just looking for thoughts, ideas, warnings, etc.!

Thanks!

Tommy
I have an 07 HR neptune. It's is one model below your ambassador. Mine is on a rr4r chassis which is different from your 8 air bag chassis. I'm like bborc and do my own maintenance and have been very fortunate with my coach. Biggest thing with mine were the trailing arms that were a weak design and we're cracking. Fortunately I learned of problem and changed them before they broke. Lucky for you your chassis doesn't have that problem.

If your coach has any handling issues a few wonderful guys have come up with some amazing fixes to help the issues. If you're interested there's a stickie near the top of the Monaco forum that includes the steering thread and a wandering thread. There's a day or more reading that's very interesting. Many folks have praised the differences in handling of their coaches.

Good luck and safe travels. By the way I'm only about 4 hrs from you in NC.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:56 PM   #4

I don't have a full wall slide or dual bathrooms but have a sister unit (Knight).

The first item to check are the shocks. If you have the original shocks (Monroe all yellow) they are shot. Replace them with Bilstien or Koni shocks. Helps the ride and driving immensely.

Second item that gives problems is the "saleman switch" solenoid in the front fuse bay. It will go out at the worst time. Bypass it and save yourself a lot of grief.

The Trombretta solenoid in the battery bay is a common problem. The contacts go bad regularly and stop the house batteries from charging from the engine altenator.

And my favorite. Have lost the front step motor twice in four years. Motor has plastic gears with the strength of a good egg. The motor is a window motor out of a Ford Tarus. I now carry a spare when I travel.

All common problems with the Ambassador/Knights of this vintage.

Lastly, 2006 was the first year the Ambassador/Knight was equipped with one piece windshields. There has been a lot of discussion regarding the windshield cracking or popping out when using the self leveling feature. I understand the recommendation is to not use this feature but to use the Monaco standard manual leveling procedure (front jack down first, then level rear jacks).

Minor problems but otherwise a solid coach. Congratulations and good luck.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:28 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think our Endeavor is similar to your Ambassador. I suggest you explore the Holiday Rambler web site (holidayrambler.com). They have brochures and owners manuals for the older models. There is also the Holiday Rambler Recreational Vehicle Club (HRRVC), if you're into owners groups. The Allied Recreation Group has taken over parts for the older Monaco brands. The parts line is 800-509-3417. You can also get the build sheet for your coach if you give the vin# to the people at 800-648-6582. Actually, I can't remember which of those 800 numbers I used for the build sheet, but I know one of them worked.
mike2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:15 PM   #6

If you haven't already done so, if you have OEM Monroe shocks on the coach, you might want to consider replacing them. Did so on mine with 37k on them, with Bilsteins and what an incredible positive difference it made. Worth the $$ Was told the Monroes last about 12k. Mine were shot.

2008 Holiday Rambler PDQ Ambassador 360 ISC
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Blue Ox tow Patriot brake
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote