Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2018, 04:17 AM   #1

2006 Monaco Knight 38PDQ / 2008 Monaco Dynasty Bedford 37

For BETTER or WORSE That is the Question !
Hi You Guys -
it’s some time since I was Last on the Forum but even so You’ve Always been so helpful I thought I’d share My latest dilemma as I’m sure You’ll put Me on the Right track.
I’m based in the UK England, I purchased My 1st “RV” back in 1993 followed by another 4 over the Years. This last 4/5 Years I’ve been the proud owner of My 2006 Monaco-Knight 38PDQ with Cummins 330 it’s been “fantastic” & the Very Few little issues with Your help have always been sorted - just like the Crap Monroe ? Shocks You All advised Me about.
NOW then before You all fall ASLEEP a 2008 Monaco Dynasty Bedford 37ft with similar milage to mine (24,000ml) has come up for Sale with the 425bhp Cummins & Lots of “Bells & Whistles” as You call them, as it happens it Was for Sale at the same time I purchased My Knight but I couldn’t afford it Then even though She was “Beautiful” I was already Pushing Myself to get My Lovely Knight.
Should I / Should I Not ! That is the Question, it appears to have much Less Under-Belly-Storage as it’s Understandably Shorter, but a Lot of the space is taken up with Aqua-Hot, Macerator & other Expensive Dynasty equipment (Goodies) it also has the Collision-Avoidance-System option “Good or Bad”. I’m Not upto date on When these engines became eligible by Law for Emission-Controls which You All seem to imply strangled the Engine & require “Re-Booting” or something like that maybe someone will give Me the info on that.
Over here in the UK RVs especially the Big Heavy Ones like Ours have become Quite Few & Far since Driving Licence Laws some years ago changed - You Could Drive a Very Large RV on a Car-Licence but NOT any more - coupled with the Cost of Fuel & only 7mpg put RVs out of many people’s reach.
Well Guys “Give Me Your GUIDANCE” will the Maintenance of things like Aqua-Hot Etc Etc be Expensive - or Will the Ride / Drive / Power Experience, 2-Engine Brakes, Self Levelling instead of the Ridiculous “3” Leg Power System (Cracked My Windscreen £5200) along with the Quality of the Internal Upgrades make Me a Happy-Camper
I look forward to all Your invaluable Information
GOOD or BAD Excitement is Brewing
So give Me a “LEVEL HEAD”
BRIAN - The Muppet
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0218.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	188494
muppet3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2018, 06:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Our first coach was the same one you are driving, a 2006 Monaco Knight. However slightly different model, 40 foot PDQ.

Our second coach was a 2008 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ. Not the same as the Dynasty you are looking at, but still a serious upgrade from the Knight.

I’m guessing that Dynasty, being a 37 footer, probably does not have the tag, but it should have the side radiator.

The suspension system (RR 10 Chassis?) would be vastly superior to your Knight. Interior trim, materials, fit and finish, no comparison.

We loved our Aquahot, but the macerated was a bit of a pain, so we took it off. Too slow. The new ones they have now are four times faster.

That coach is Pre-def, but it does have the hi-temp emissions control gear that was being used at that time. I can’t recall just what that system was called, but there have been issues with failures of the regen system at 50-70k miles.

I’d suggest you post on the Monaco forum for more feedback to your questions. Although most folks who post there also monitor this forum as well.

Best wishes on you quest.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
One other thought.

I share your apparent dislike for the leveling system on the Knight. On the Camelot, we had air leveling, which was fine, but we didn’t have jacks, which were standard. I would not buy another coach with just the air system because there are plenty of campsites where that system alone will not get the job done. It should have jacks, and if there’s an air system as well, that’s a plus.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
One other thought.

I share your apparent dislike for the leveling system on the Knight. On the Camelot, we had air leveling, which was fine, but we didn’t have jacks, which were standard. I would not buy another coach with just the air system because there are plenty of campsites where that system alone will not get the job done. It should have jacks, and if there’s an air system as well, that’s a plus.

DEATON - Thank You for getting back, I had thought of posting this on the dedicated MONACO section but Don’t know how to do it - Can You guide Me on How or can I ask the mediator to do it for Me ?
However if it does go on that site would it be on Both sections still, by the way the Dynasty does have the Side-Radiator but at just 37ft No Tag - Very Few Tags came to UK as the Max Length allowed here is 40ft - Thanks again for Your Reply - Cheers BRIAN
Old 01-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
I’m not an Admin or Moderator, so I can’t move your post. But just go to main Forum page, select “The Owners Corner Forums”, then scroll down to “Monaco Owners Forum”.
No problem with reposting. Happens all the time

I would not sweat the lack of a tag on a 37 foot Dynasty. It is rare to see a tag on a coach less than 40 feet over here either. They usually show up at 42 and longer.

You would enjoy the side radiator. Let’s you see the engine clearly and you can inspect belts, hoses, change fuel filters easily, etc. Also, if maintenance needs to be done on the engine, you will save a lot of labor since the radiator is not blocking access.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #6
Community Administrator

I’ll move it as it is against our Community Rules to post duplicates. You can use the “ contact us” link at the bottom of every page to request this if the need ever arises again.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #7

Good evening or morning Brian from the Seattle, Wa. area. Just got home and read your post. A 2008 Dynasty Bedford 36', is actually 37' + in length. Here is a little info for you to look up. Go to Monaco's web page. Go down to the bottom of the page and you will see Brochures. Click on Brochures and it will ask for year and model. Enter 2008 for year and Dynasty for model. You can now view the factory Brochure. I toured the Monaco Coburg Oregon plant in 08 and asked about the 36' Dynasty Bedford as I thought for me, except for price, it would make a nice short upscale DP. After all, it's a Dynasty and I wanted a shorter upscale coach. This is what I was told at the factory. I asked do you have one here at the factory. I was told, No, the coach was just here a week ago and went to a dealer. I was told no dealers ordered any of them so only 3, yes 3 of them were made. All 3 were built at the Monaco factory in Coburg. I saw one of them on RVTrader last year and it was in Canada on the east coast. Sooo if everything that I was told at the Monaco Factory in 08 is true, you could have a chance at a very rare Dynasty Coach! The one that had just left the factory in Coberg Oregon went to a dealer in Chandler,Az. I saw it on the web in 08 about 3 weeks after my tour of the Monaco Factory. If you look through the factory Brochures, you will see that the short Dynasty's were last made, I think in 2002. After that they were all 38' or longer until they made the Bedford in 08. After 08, back to the longer coaches. I read your first post and others who have responded. It is a quite a move up the ladder in models from your Knight, in my opinion. I have a 2001 Monaco Windsor with just the 1, kitchen slide built almost on the same chassis, some small differences. The Windsor's were one model below the Dynasty's until Monaco quit building them on 06. It would be a solid coach, again in my opinion. Don't know what they are asking for it, and it's totally up to you, but if it were me I would grab it if it is in good condition. Even if only 3 were made, condition counts. You could easily put thousands into a coach that has not had care. By the way, does the owner have the build sheet? If not you could call Monaco Coach here in the U.S. and give them the VIN. number and they will E-Mail that to you so you can see what was standard equipment and what options were installed on the coach from the factory. Sorry for the long post, but I NEVER thought I would see one of those Dynasty Bedford's for sale ever again. Let us know what you decide to do. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Go look at it and ask for maintenance records. Maybe consider an inspection. If all is well, GO FOR IT! The Dynasty is an incredible coach and you will love it.

Link to the brochure:
https://www.monacocoach.com/luxury-rv-brochures?y=2008
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Go look at it and ask for maintenance records. Maybe consider an inspection. If all is well, GO FOR IT! The Dynasty is an incredible coach and you will love it.

Link to the brochure:
https://www.monacocoach.com/luxury-rv-brochures?y=2008

“THANK YOU”
Everybody for all Your comments & guidance, so Nice to see You all Help Each-other in Ever-way You CAN - BRIAN
Old 01-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #10

Good evening or morning Brian; Hope the responders here have given you some insight on the 08 Dynasty. All I can say is, if you get it, PICTURES PLEASE! Have a great one over there on the other side of the pond.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Good evening or morning Brian; Hope the responders here have given you some insight on the 08 Dynasty. All I can say is, if you get it, PICTURES PLEASE! Have a great one over there on the other side of the pond.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5177.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	189197

Well My Fellow RV’s Sadly I have to report SOMEONE has Jumped in Before Me and Purchased this Beautiful Monaco Dynasty I So Much Wanted to make MINE - Oh well maybe another ONE will come up soon - [emoji24][emoji102][emoji80]
Old 01-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Sorry you missed out on this coach.

Used Monaco Dynasty’s from this period don’t last long over here either. The build level of these coaches exceed most of what is being built today.

Tags
ford, monaco, monaco dynasty