RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2016, 04:22 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2007 Dynasty Windshield Seal

I'm a newb 1-month owner of a 2007 Dynasty Platinum IV with 20K miles. Wife and I just started full-timing in the wet NW. 2 weeks now and so far so good ...until I found this, this morning. https://goo.gl/photos/rHcVnBXhPcrJDjSbA

I think this happened since we parked/leveled over the past 2 weeks. Wasn't like this when I purchased and drove home.

Have read several threads on mid-year Monaco's and windshield problems, getting them installed correctly, lack of support resulting in some "Halo" fix, etc.

Ironically there was a small bb-gun like crack in center of windshield when I purchased and owner agreed to have replaced however due to timing, etc. it wasn't replaced and instead a new windshield was shipped to a local Speedy Glass (coordinated by Duncan Systems) waiting to be installed. I postponed the install since we didn't want to up/move the coach immediately after getting setup for winter living. Agreed with glass shop we would make contact in a month or 2 and setup a time/date to have it replaced.

Now I'm wondering if I should have it replaced sooner than later ...and if the shop that is supposed to install the new windshield is experienced enough to install the new one correctly. I assumed if Duncan Systems arranged the install they should have a list of known qualified installers?

Wondering what I should do since I've come to know RV Glass solutions in Eugene, OR is/has been the goto place to have windshields installed correctly and they are about 1.5 hours away from us compared to Speedy Glass that is 30 minutes away.

Then again the seller paid for everything up front so doubt we could get glass sent to RV Glass Solutions and them paid to install.

Is this going to leak inside or otherwise cause damage if I let it go for another month or 3?

tophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2016, 04:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophog View Post
I'm a newb 1-month owner of a 2007 Dynasty Platinum IV with 20K miles. Wife and I just started full-timing in the wet NW. 2 weeks now and so far so good ...until I found this, this morning. https://goo.gl/photos/rHcVnBXhPcrJDjSbA

I think this happened since we parked/leveled over the past 2 weeks. Wasn't like this when I purchased and drove home.

Have read several threads on mid-year Monaco's and windshield problems, getting them installed correctly, lack of support resulting in some "Halo" fix, etc.

Ironically there was a small bb-gun like crack in center of windshield when I purchased and owner agreed to have replaced however due to timing, etc. it wasn't replaced and instead a new windshield was shipped to a local Speedy Glass (coordinated by Duncan Systems) waiting to be installed. I postponed the install since we didn't want to up/move the coach immediately after getting setup for winter living. Agreed with glass shop we would make contact in a month or 2 and setup a time/date to have it replaced.

Now I'm wondering if I should have it replaced sooner than later ...and if the shop that is supposed to install the new windshield is experienced enough to install the new one correctly. I assumed if Duncan Systems arranged the install they should have a list of known qualified installers?

Wondering what I should do since I've come to know RV Glass solutions in Eugene, OR is/has been the goto place to have windshields installed correctly and they are about 1.5 hours away from us compared to Speedy Glass that is 30 minutes away.

Then again the seller paid for everything up front so doubt we could get glass sent to RV Glass Solutions and them paid to install.

Is this going to leak inside or otherwise cause damage if I let it go for another month or 3?
looks pretty simple to me;; just fill the gap with clear silicon till u get the glass replaced
MAKE SURE they use a whole new rubber gasket when replacing glass
DO NOT re-use the one in the picture
Have them measure the opening when the glass is removed and make sure they center glass as required ;;yours looks like the cap is not a perfect fit as in not concentric on all 4 corners
measure opening carefully when glass is out and that will tell the tale

select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would go ahead and have it fixed to see if it stops your problem.

In 2009 we drove to Alaska and suffered the infamous chip/cracked windshield. Got home in late Sept and had the windshield fixed in ~Nov. My insurance company used Duncan Systems for the repair and in turn they contracted with a local company. Well the next year ~11 months later we were on a trip and while parked I noticed that the windshield had shifted to a point there was a 1/4" gap in the lower passenger side corner. It looked something like what you are experiencing.

I contacted Duncan and they had me come to there large warehouse/shop near Tampa. They pulled the windshield and reset it. I asked the workers why this happen and they said that when the windshield was first installed they did not use enough of the caulk. I had also noticed that when it rained there would sometime be water come up in the bottom of the windshield between the gasket.

Been ~6 years the the windshield is good.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #4

Having had a windshield installed through Duncan Systems last year I found that RV Glass Solutions is a competitor with Duncan Systems for windshield sales and installation. They do have a list of installers but the contracted installer was less than satisfactory on our job. I would highly suggest you check out Speedy Glass if there are any concerns. If you want RV Glass to install it you will probably foot the bill for shipping from Speedy Glass. I would suggest a call to RV Glass Solutions prior to doing this. A new gasket is about $400!
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. I've sent in inquiry to RV Glass Solutions in Eugene to get their input and see if there might be a way to get them to install the new windshield.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I had almost the exact same defect on my 07 Diplomat when we bought it about 3 years ago. I pointed it out to the dealer and they had it fixed when we picked the coach up. When I asked what they did, I was told they shot some adhesive between the seal and the cap, pulled the seal into place and taped it until the adhesive dried. It has been fine for over 25K miles.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Whatever you do don't put silicone anywhere near your seal....ever. Only use urathane adhesive. The silicone is VERY difficult to remove and nothing will stick to it. I had the same issue and repaired mine short term until I had the windshield replaced. My short term repair was the same as mentioned above by using urathane and pulling the seal back to the body while curing. When replacing my windshield I replaced the seal also because I was concerned that the original had shrunk and didn't want to have an issue again
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Mine looked just like yours, it had also popped out on the diagonal opposite corner. Alliance Coach reset mine. They should dry fit it first to make sure the hole is correctly sized. Alliance used 6 tubes of adhesive urethane on a new gasket. Best money I've spent in a long time. The down side of these one piece windshields is that they can pop out even if correctly sealed on sharp jolt or a road transition that twists the coach. I really like the ringside view they give.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I spoke to RV Glass Solutions today after sending them pictures of the windshield/gasket and questions regarding the shop that was referred to do the install by Duncan Systems.

They actually recommended not getting a new gasket and having the new windshield installed using the existing gasket. They indicated often more problems can be induced by installing a new gasket and unless there was anything significantly wrong with the existing gasket, on my year Monaco they would do everything to re-use the existing gasket.

They said the shop that has the windshield and slated to do the job is actually very reputable and is on their own referral list and has a history of doing a lot of Class A windshields so I shouldn't be concerned with the shop in terms of not being capable of installing the windshield.

I asked about wait time after install before driving, etc. They said typically most shops these days use a urethane with 4 hour "sit-time" and typically if the job is started first thing in the morning the coach is ready to drive by the end of the day.

Lastly they said I would have seen leaks already if it was going to leak and they weren't that concerned about it causing problems however they did point out that a lot of shops don't have adequate storage space to store large windshields and if it's damaged while sitting at the shop the shop isn't responsible for it! They said it's something to do with the liability agreement between install shops and insurance companies. So in the end they said they would go ahead and have it done as soon as possible just to get it done and the windshield out of the shop.

They were very helpful and said if I had any problems, questions or concerns to definitely reach out to them.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
Whatever you do don't put silicone anywhere near your seal....ever. Only use urathane adhesive. The silicone is VERY difficult to remove and nothing will stick to it. I had the same issue and repaired mine short term until I had the windshield replaced. My short term repair was the same as mentioned above by using urathane and pulling the seal back to the body while curing. When replacing my windshield I replaced the seal also because I was concerned that the original had shrunk and didn't want to have an issue again

the silicon suggestion in this case for such a small hole will in fact work very well;; been there and done that silicon is not difficult to remove at all
based on the amount of urethane sealer already in use here obviously there was problems before this owner;; the rubber will need replacing
any way you look at it. The owner was looking for a simple water fix it till he gets in for new windshield
what I have suggested is a tried and proved remedy that works extremely well in cases like this
however seeing as this glass shop looks like they want to clean and reuse the old gasket its there call ;; when I had mine replaced the glass shop said trying to clean and reuse a old gasket was a waste and insisted on a new gasket.

select55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal