RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2019, 03:46 AM   #1

2007 Monaco Camelot, Shocks

I have a new to me 2007 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ with a little over 40,000 miles. I have not driven that many coaches but to my mind this Monaco actually rides rather smoothly but it does 'wander' a bit. I am having a full assessment done on the coach and I am told I need new shocks. I was told there are 10 shocks and quoted $180 per shock for Bilstiens (I don't know the part number) and 5 hours labor to install.

I called Monaco and they quoted:Front Pt# 10122212 $138.82 ea. and Rear Pt# 10111740 $166.38 ea. Plus Tax, Shipping (She did not know the brand and is calling back tomorrow with that info)

I then called Shox.com and talked with someone that seemed to know what he is talking about. He quoted a Bilstien Pt# 187305 at $85 each (inc freight), said front and rear were the same and said it was a heavy duty shock. He also quoted $170 each for Knoi.

The question is, have any of you used that part number 187305 Bilstien and do you think I am good with it. I love the price. Amazon shows it at $ 108 each.

I'll appreciated any input from you Vetrens!
Thanks, Clint

Hclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2019, 09:13 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would suggest you go with the Koni, they're simply the best and it will be the last shock you'll put on the MH.
The regular are probably Sachs and are more of a single action shock.
As for the wandering, get a good alignment and adjust tire pressure and go from there.
Good luck...

Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A few years back when I changed mine out, most on this board were installing Bilstien part numbers 24-186605 on the front, and 24-186612 on the rear, which is what I installed.
More recently, I've read of owners using the same shocks front and rear.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #4

Pretty easy to spend someone else's money......lol
Old 03-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hclint -- Bilstein part #`s is 24-186605 for the front & 24-186612 for rear -- I`ve owned a 07, 42ft Camelot since new & that`s what I used --Your coach now has Monroe shocks & they are shot at about 15000 miles -- So yes, you do need to change shocks -- A fair price for install would be $25.00 per shock -- You can use any shock, get alignment & you will still have the steering problem -- There`s a recent thread here on iRV2 about your problem -- If you contact me, I`ll try to answer any question you may have about your Camelot -- We tow a Chevrolet Equinox, but there are several good choices -- Be sure the owners manual states that it`s towabe -- williampwillard@gmail.com -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Our 2004 Signature on a RR10S Roadmaster chassis uses Bilstein part number 24-187312, 10 each, (4 on front axle, 4 on drive axle, and 2 on tag axle). (Bilstein uses the same shock front and rear.)
These are the new Comfort Valve versions with some design changes from the original.
I found them on Amazon for $83.99 each.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Most of the heavy road hits you feel are from the front. I've already installed new Bilstein's on the rear, but my plan is to use Koni's on the front. Koni's are twice the price. Koni uses different shocks front and rear. 8805 1004 for front, and 8805 1005 for the rear. This is the FSD Gold Koni motorhome shock.

New shocks will not change the wander issue. They will only change the bounce and hit you feel when you drive over a bump or pothole. First check your steering box to see if it is the TRW adjustable box. If it is, then adjust the play out of it and check for any loose suspension components.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
These are the new Comfort Valve versions with some design changes from the original.
From the 'original' Comfort series?

When I ordered mine ( part numbers listed above), I was told these 'were' the Comfort Series!
Old 03-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vito -- Camelots do not use the same shock as your Sig -- They use different shocks front & rear -- His coach does have the TRW steering box, but I left that info out on purpose -- Did not want him adjusting that box -- That needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing -- Bill Willard
Old 03-27-2019, 04:19 AM   #9

Verifying shock type

Thank to All for your replies.

My coach is an hour away so I can't personally look under at this time. I have been quoted on Bilstien 24-187305 for all 10 shocks by both the person who is working on the coach and also by Shox.com after they looked up the shock using the Vin#. This shock is a 'eye hole' each end shock, see photo.

Bill W, the shock you said fit the 2007 Monaco Camelot you have uses Bilstien 24-186605 front, 24-186612 rear. Those seem to be 'eye hole' one end and shaft other end. see photo.

Can you please confirm that my RR10s would have the 'eye hole one end and shaft the other end.

Thx, Clint
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24-187305 Bilstien Shock.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	239601   Click image for larger version

Name:	24-186605 Bilstien.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	239602  

Old 03-27-2019, 07:44 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You need the one that has a shaft on top & eye on bottom -- Get the ones I recommended for both front & rear - Two different numbers but both have the stud/eye ends -- -- Bill Willard
Old 03-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Clint, you have the same chassis as I do (at least the front part) and Bill is correct. You need the shocks with the shaft. I have physically verified this my coach in the front ( I am only changing the front shocks) I bought the 24-186605 shocks.

BTW you can check this yourself by grabbing the shock and following it up to the top mount and you will feel the shaft.
tankcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Clint -- I live in Gilbert,AZ -- 20 miles east of Phoenix -- I have a big, paved back yard with a shop -- If you drive over here, I`ll install your shocks -- No charge -- I`ve done 4/5 shock replacement on Monaco`s -- Maybe persuade happycarz (Harry Martin) to come over & adjust your steering -- He did mine, & it made a hugh difference in steering -- It`s a simple process, just gotta know what you`re doing -- I`ve had many coaches drop by for different repairs -- We usually have a good time learning from each other -- Bill Willard williampwillard@gmail.com
Old 03-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #13

You Guys are the best. Thanks Tankj and I can't believe what a generous offer you have made to me Bill. I will write you a personal email on the subject.

If I order the shocks how many front and how many rear will I need. I'm 4 front and 6 rear but that is a novice guess since I can't see my coach right now.

Clint
Old 03-27-2019, 04:01 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Clint -- You`re correct on the amount of shocks -- 4 front (24-186605) & 6 rear (24-186612) --

Since I have the same coach as your`s , I thought maybe you could learn more about your coach if you could see first hand the operation & construction of that coach -- I`ve owned our`s since new & have almost 100,000 miles on it -- I have 50 amp hookup & plenty of space -- We could have a mini seminar -- I`ve had as many as 4 Monaco`s here at one time -- It`s a hobby, not a business -- Quite a few on this forum has been here -- Bill Willard

Tags
monaco, shocks