Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #1

Has anyone had a problem with the Centroid fuel sensor and dash fuel gauge? I've replaced two sensors and still can't get an accurate calibration that is repeatable.
joelsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #2

Has anyone had a problem with the Centroid fuel sensor and dash fuel gauge? I've replaced two sensors and still can't get an accurate calibration that is repeatable.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Our friends have an 07 Cayman and have the same issue. I'm starting to wonder if this is an issue with all Caymans. I adjusted my own and finally got it to where it was acceptable.

It's very difficult for a dealer to do an adjustment. You need to know where the needle reads at half full and full. The dealer is just guessing when they do it. It's not difficult to adjust, just may take a few tries.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have the same problem and our reading is not even close to being accurate.

Example: Fuel light warning goes on and indicator is showing close to empty. We drive another 60 miles and when fuelling we put in about 70 gallon in our 100 gallon tank.

When in Elkart the service tech had all our fuel in and out of our full tank (into a separate reservoir on wheel) in an attempt to adjust this, but when leaving it was just as inaccurate as when we came.

The same situation applies to both our gray and black water tank, and it was like this right from day one, i.e. before any potential debris could start messing with any of the sensors.

We are going to Harrisburg in a little less that 2 months and here Monaco can have a second attempt to rectify the problem.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
When we bought our MH, our gauge never read full, even when we knew we'd filled it up. Guaranty RV Service Center in Junction City determined that we needed a new sensor and recalibrated it. We think it is reading perfectly now. We know when we got down to half a tank on the gauge it was accurate because it took about 37 gallons to fill our 75 gallon tank. We feel it is accurate. I think it can be corrected or recalibrated. I also remember the tech said it was difficult to reach all the places he needed to reach to get the job done.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #6

I've found that the fuel sensor and gauge are both damped. Therefore it is impossible to calibrate within the 30 second time frame required by Monaco and Centroid. I put 4 22 ohm resistors (daisy chained) across the disconnected send and negative wires and the gauge read full. However when you start the rig it goes above full. Maybe a ground problem, voltage sensitivity or heaven knows what. I will keep the foram posted on the results.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
joelsr.....It took a few trips to correct, but I noted where the needle was at when I took 45 gallons of fuel (half of my useable capacity). I then filled the coach and parked it on level ground and noted the needle postion. For mine, the needle was off by an 1/8" to the left of the 1/2 full mark. I moved the needle an 1/8" to the right and then ended up being fairly accurate. I was more interested in knowing when I was at a 1/2 tank.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Dip Don is right, it takes a few trips to finally get it close. Close being a relative term but still more accurate than before.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:40 AM   #9

Mine got me yesterday. I was coming up a steep hill with a little over a quarter tank showing. It died on me and the fuel filter was empty. Luckily my wife was behind me about 20 minutes and stopped and got me 5 gallons of diesel. I had to open the top of the fuel filter blled screw to get it to pick up fuel again then off we went. I'll have to watch the gage below 1/2 tank. Hmmpf... I haven't had to do the "Red CAN Boogie" in quite a while.
One good note, Exactly where I broke down, In Vermont, I looked out and in a small swamp next to me was a big bull moose! First one I've got to see. He stood there forever about 20 ft away, letting me get my pictures to my heart's content.

2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG TT 2011 F150 puller
Lennyzx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:59 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I moved the needle an 1/8" to the right and then ended up being fairly accurate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don,

How does one actually adjust the needle? Where is the adjustment made?
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Robin, it's a screw adjustment on the Centroid sending unit on top of the tank (driver's side)....Here is a LINK to their adjustment procedure. They discuss how their system has a damped sender, but you have 30 seconds to make the adjustment. Basically, turn the key on and make the adjustment with someone watching the needle within 30 seconds. If you need to make another adjustment, turn the key off and then on again and re-adjust.

You'll probably have to use some cleaner to get any undercoating off of the adjustment screws. If I recall, Centroid also puts a drop of resin over the screw to keep it set in place. You have to use something pointed to pick/pry the resin drop out.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:38 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks, Don. That's good information to have. Would I be correct to assume that the sensor unit is accessable by opening the driver's side exterior coach side panel at the filler location?
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #13

I finally talked Monaco into9 sending me a new gage. Also they suggested connecting the fuel sensor neg. to chassis ground. If you measure the voltage on the send to neg. terminal and itd different than the gage to ground, then you have a problem with the coach wiring. I haven't done either one yet, but when I do connect to chassis ground and make the voltage measurements I will update on this issue.
Ciao