Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2007 Monaco Nav system location?

This is a 2007 Monaco Executive with the factory Kenwood Navigation system. I would like to update the Nav system and need to know where to find it?

It uses a Kenwood LZ-702W monitor in the dash and a separate Kenwood (Garmin) KNA-G510 Nav system that I have not found.

According to the manual, I install updates by inserting an SD memory card with the updated software into the KNA-G510.

So the question is, do any of you Monaco owners know where Monaco hides the Nav system and how to access it?

Thanks

Picture of the Kenwood KNA-G510
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
IMHO, it is a waste of time and money to update that old a system - I tried it for my brother in law's 2009 and after updating it was still pitiful... Nav has come a VERY long way in the last 9 or 10 years

Spend the update money on a nice Garmin 760RV that can be updated for free and has traffic and rv settings.

but if you trace back the cables, it should lead to the base unit either behind the dash or in an upper cabinet.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #3

When I updated my electronics I found many of the NAV componets behind the dash. I had to remove the center panel to access them.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
IMHO, it is a waste of time and money to update that old a system - I tried it for my brother in law's 2009 and after updating it was still pitiful... Nav has come a VERY long way in the last 9 or 10 years

Spend the update money on a nice Garmin 760RV that can be updated for free and has traffic and rv settings.

but if you trace back the cables, it should lead to the base unit either behind the dash or in an upper cabinet.
I know you're right, but the updates are free for this so I thought it was worth a try.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a similar Garmin/Kenwood combination in my RV until I traded it in for my Allegro last summer. It was anything but useless, contrary to the earlier post. Try to trace the wiring off the back of your display unit to the GPS unit. It's probably in the dash area somewhere, or maybe in or behind an overhead cabinet if your GPS receiver is on the roof. Once you find it, permanently move it to an area where you have better access to it and can install the updates you want to.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mine is on the floor directly underneath the Nav display. I remove a small louvered cover & it's right there.

The unit software update is easily done but the mapping software is no longer available. They abandoned that unit several years ago.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Mine is on the floor directly underneath the Nav display. I remove a small louvered cover & it's right there.

The unit software update is easily done but the mapping software is no longer available. They abandoned that unit several years ago.
I found the map update online. I don't remember the version number, but it was several versions newer than what was currently in mine.
It's on my computer in the motorhome, so I won't have access to it until after Jan 7.

I'll trade you the map software for a picture of the louvered cover?
Thanks
Old 12-20-2016, 02:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Garmin: Kenwood KNA G510 Software Update Collection

The latest system update (4.20) is 2012.

You are right about the maps for the G510. I did find US, Canada, Mexico, and Alaska map updates for the G610. A bit pricey, $95.

https://kenwood.garmin.com/kenwood/site/latestMap
Old 12-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The louvered cover is the black thing on the bottom.

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 12-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You have a beautiful coach. Thanks for the picture.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I thought I should update this thread. My Executive came with the factory installed Kenwood/Garmin GPS and display. The challenge to updating it was to find the hidden KNA-G510 GPS black box.

I finally found the KNA-G510 GPS box behind the center dash panel. I removed 6 screws from the simulated wood panel and the entire panel with the Kenwood display and 2 AC ducts pulls out. Behind it were the Aladdin control box, a Kenwood amp, an XM receiver, the KNA-G510, and several other black boxes. They are held in with industrial Velcro, so the GPS box lifted out after two wire connectors were removed.

I was able to download the free Garmin 4.2 Firmware upgrade and install it in the 510. I made a GARMIN folder (with the update inside) on a 2gb SD card and inserted it into the 510 (make sure power is off before inserting). Then when you turn power on, it asks if you want to install the new software. Mine took an additional power cycle to recognize the SD card, but then it pops up and asks if you wan to update and I selected yes.

I was finally able to update the maps to 2017! Make sure you update the firmware to 4.2 first.

I found a guy in FL that has the Garmin 2017 map update for older Garmin systems (and his price is under $20). It's installed on a 2gb SD card that installs into the KNA-G510 (similar to the firmware update). However, when you turn the GPS power on, it still goes to the old map file.

Here's the trick. Connect a mini USB cable to the KNA-G510 (there's a mini USB slot right next to the SD card slot) and a tablet or laptop. When you turn the 510 power on with a USB cable connected, it will ask if you want to choose Garmin, or Memory. Choose the right option, Memory. Then open My Computer on the laptop and you will see the GPS internal memory as well as the SD card. Using the laptop I removed the old map file from internal memory. I just right clicked and selected Cut, then pasted it into a Garmin folder on the laptop (this will take about 15 min). I probably could have right clicked and changed the name on the old file and left it, but now I have memory space for other things like different voices and symbols. Now when I turn the power on, it pulls the new 2017 map file from the SD card (the SD card must stay in the unit).

If you spend some time learning the KNA-G510 menus you will see it has some very nice RV features. For the vehicle size, I selected “Bus” and also “No U-turns”.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Old 01-21-2017, 05:39 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vito.a, will you PM the source for the update?

Does your touch screen work with the GPS? Mine doesn't; the touch screen works until I select GPS, then I have to use the remote control.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Good deal if you found the map updates, then it might be worth updating! and a fun little project to spend a little 'me' time with the rv

Here's the G510 firmware 4.20 update from 2012

It looks exactly like the Garmin remote box for the GVN-53 we have.

ours is just the Garmin GVN-53 here and here, so the 2011 software update is over 6 years old and the unit hardware is at least a year older, so I may still update the firmware, but given that the RV760 is so much faster with new maps and in a better location to see and responds to voice commands , I'll probably stay with it...

good luck on yours

Tags
cat, monaco