Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #1

2007 Simba

Hello,

My wife and I are very close to purchasing a 2007 Simba PDQ 36. This will be our first RV and I imagine many of you can recall the uncertainty of such a huge step. I read on another site that the '07 Simba allegedly has problems with the rear stabilizer arms that can be catastrophic if the breakage occurs while driving. Does anyone know if this has really been a widespread problem? Any other feelings about the Simba or other Monaco coaches built in this era? It has 15,000 miles. And seems to be in great condition.

Thank you.
Nutnhuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutnhuny View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are very close to purchasing a 2007 Simba PDQ 36. This will be our first RV and I imagine many of you can recall the uncertainty of such a huge step. I read on another site that the '07 Simba allegedly has problems with the rear stabilizer arms that can be catastrophic if the breakage occurs while driving. Does anyone know if this has really been a widespread problem? Any other feelings about the Simba or other Monaco coaches built in this era? It has 15,000 miles. And seems to be in great condition.

Thank you.
I have 07 Neptune which I think is similar to the simba. I had the trailing arms replaced on mine about 3 years ago. I didn't want to risk my families safety for $3000. Hated to spend the cash but not worth our life.

Many say the ride is rough on the 4 bag chassis but I think mine is pretty good. Comparing to gas chassis coaches I've owned it is much better. Some things can be done to make the ride better if one chooses. Good luck with your purchase and hope u have many safe trouble free miles.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask as I am very familiar with mine and would be glad to help. Also, many others on here I am sure much better than I who are willing to help.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #4

Thank you for your advice and offer of future input.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Do a "google search" here on iRV2 for "Monaco trailing arms" then get ready to read for a long time.
It's a SERIOUS problem.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:16 AM   #6

2007 Simba

Thank you. I called Source Engineering in Oregon. He told me he has sent out more than 2000 sets of trailing arms, so it surely is a big problem. He said the original OEM parts weigh 60 lbs., and the replacement parts weigh 160 lbs.

Thanks again
Old 10-22-2013, 04:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you. I called Source Engineering in Oregon. He told me he has sent out more than 2000 sets of trailing arms, so it surely is a big problem. He said the original OEM parts weigh 60 lbs., and the replacement parts weigh 160 lbs.

Thanks again
If the 2007 Simba is being sold by an RV dealer, you might see if they are willing to replace the trailing arms as part of the sell. Otherwise move on.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
If the 2007 Simba is being sold by an RV dealer, you might see if they are willing to replace the trailing arms as part of the sell. Otherwise move on. Bob
In one of those moments that makes you feel better about your fellow man, the current owners are driving the coach to Oregon to have the work done, and they're not going to raise the price. They are a very classy couple.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
In one of those moments that makes you feel better about your fellow man, the current owners are driving the coach to Oregon to have the work done, and they're not going to raise the price. They are a very classy couple.
It's nice to read some upbeat posts once in a while and yours was one of them.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:02 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Wow, they are a class act! Sounds like they were not even aware of the problem.

Bob
Old 10-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #11

2007 Simba

Not only were they unaware of it, Monaco denied the problem when she called the corporate office in Oregon. They said it was a limited problem and there was no recall.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Not only were they unaware of it, Monaco denied the problem when she called the corporate office in Oregon. They said it was a limited problem and there was no recall.
If you are purchasing this coach after the trailing arms are replaced then I suggest you go a step further.

Source Engineering who manufacture the replacement trailing arms also have a "ride enhancement kit". From all reports it is a significant improvement to the OEM ride and handling. Since the coach will be there and they will be into the suspension, now would be the time to add the kit.

Call Source and talk to Scott Zimmer. He is a chassis expert and will give you good information. They might be able to offer you a better installed price for the REK since they will be working on the coach.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
If you are purchasing this coach after the trailing arms are replaced then I suggest you go a step further. Source Engineering who manufacture the replacement trailing arms also have a "ride enhancement kit". From all reports it is a significant improvement to the OEM ride and handling. Since the coach will be there and they will be into the suspension, now would be the time to add the kit. Call Source and talk to Scott Zimmer. He is a chassis expert and will give you good information. They might be able to offer you a better installed price for the REK since they will be working on the coach.
. Thank you for the suggestion. I think I will have to make sure we actually purchase the coach before that work can be done, but I've already decided I will probably do it next year if all works out. Thanks again to all of you for your input.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:20 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
. Thank you for the suggestion. I think I will have to make sure we actually purchase the coach before that work can be done, but I've already decided I will probably do it next year if all works out. Thanks again to all of you for your input.
Actually, driving the coach for a year before you make the upgrade is a good plan. If you have the upgrade installed before you know the coach you will have nothing to compare to. If you drive it for a year and then get the upgrade, you will be glad you spent the money. If you do it now you will always wonder if it was worth it.

Bob