Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Red face 2008 Beaver Contessa improvements....

So the list of improvements and repairs is never ending..

Just got it back form a shop where I had it totally stripped and resealed (roof, body side panels, windows, everything). It cost a bit but man is it a top notch job!

Had a new Dometic 320 toilet installed

Just installed 3 Fantastic vent covers.

In the process of re-installing the repaired slide out toppers.

New 3rd brake light (from Monaco $80!)

Readjust a few rollers. Reattach one that was loose.

Pulled all of the drawers from the kitchen to apply lacquer to the boxes. I can't believe that in this year Beaver didn't coat the boxes!! I will pull all of the re of the drawers in the next couple of weeks to lacquer them as well. While they are out I am upgrading to soft close drawer guides (direct replacement available at Home Depot). Hoping that will keep them closed better than the latches.

Just received my Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C surge protector that will go in very soon.

Tomorrow set out to fabricate a new auxiliary battery tray in the engine bay (courtesy of Kketterling). I will be able to move my chassis batteries to this tray and free up room for 4 additional 6v coach batteries. Re-weld a few door hinges that the welds have broken on.

And this is all in the past 3-4 days! Not counting what I have done prior!

Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2015, 08:03 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the world of owning a coach and having your own tools.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:19 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
After dumping the tanks yesterday with my stinky slinky (had too because I think the kids put wet ones in the tank), I realized that I have to re-work the wet bay floor to get the access port to actually line up properly..... Normally use the Sanicon, but it would be nice to have things line up properly when I need the dump hose. It was so far off I had to direct the hose straight out of the compartment.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
After dumping the tanks yesterday with my stinky slinky (had too because I think the kids put wet ones in the tank), I realized that I have to re-work the wet bay floor to get the access port to actually line up properly..... Normally use the Sanicon, but it would be nice to have things line up properly when I need the dump hose. It was so far off I had to direct the hose straight out of the compartment.
Captjake1 Are you aware that the discharge port swivels up and down? it may be enough for you.
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:07 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomckeon View Post
Captjake1 Are you aware that the discharge port swivels up and down? it may be enough for you.
WHAT????....

I have the same problem so I bought one of the Rhino 45 deg clear fittings that pretty much centers the sewer hose in the hole in the wet bay floor but I didn't know it swivels....

I like it except for the leaking...
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
WHAT????....

I have the same problem so I bought one of the Rhino 45 deg clear fittings that pretty much centers the sewer hose in the hole in the wet bay floor but I didn't know it swivels....

I like it except for the leaking...
I didn't realize that either until la few months ago. Still; swiveling it doesn't get it lined up enough to get a hose on it. I think I will just cut a larger hole and insert a larger deck plate...too bad I already liquidated by boat shop parts.....

Got the battery tray fabricated today. Also found many body panels in between the basement doors that weren't welded! This caused a few doors to feel loose at the hinge side. All of that is welled up now also.

Pictures later...been a long day and work tomorrow...
Old 09-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem and cut in a new larger deck plate that was better aligned. Also got one of the Rhino 45's. It sits perfectly in the opening making connection of the 3" slinky a snap.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:29 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Capt Jake 1

Could you give me more details about the sealing you had done. What exactly did you have done and if you don't mind where did you have it done and about how much did it cost?

Thanks

Stuart
Old 09-04-2015, 09:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
Capt Jake 1

Could you give me more details about the sealing you had done. What exactly did you have done and if you don't mind where did you have it done and about how much did it cost?

Thanks

Stuart
To start, I paid almost $800 for a terribly messy ineffective roof sealing job in Texas when I bought the coach.
I had still been chasing the leak when I went to Infinity Coach in Sumner, WA (word or mouth referral). Jim Lewis is the owner. After talking with the owner (really knowledgeable) about the dilemma, he said a complete strip of the old sealer and making off and re-sealing the roof was $800. Bargain in my mind.

He then pointed out my failing sealer at all of the body seams, windows, missing sealer around the door. $600 more plus materials to do that. Total was $1400 plus materials which came to about $2000. Sounds like a lot bu the attention to detail at every corner was amazing. They mask off each calk line (in order to leave a blunt edge). It looks amazing. Black sealer on the body side, which at first I thought was a mistake, but it really makes things pop.

I am pretty picky about how certain things look, but I could never have made this job look this nice.

I will be taking it back to them this winter for some major cosmetic surgery (delamination repair).
Old 09-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Red face

Captjake1: Once you relocate the chassis batteries you'll like having the additional house batteries. Between the battery bank and the solar panels I have no problem powering our Samsung fridge. Fridge was one of the best upgrades I made to the coach.

Will be interested in seeing pics of your battery box once its done.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
Captjake1: Once you relocate the chassis batteries you'll like having the additional house batteries. Between the battery bank and the solar panels I have no problem powering our Samsung fridge. Fridge was one of the best upgrades I made to the coach.

Will be interested in seeing pics of your battery box once its done.
I have to trim my " must do " list. my fridge is working fine for the moment. My wife would like a more dose efficient design but we will have to wait a bit.

I hope to have it painted and installed later in the week. Probably won't mess with batteries til next year
Old 09-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Captjake1,

Thanks for the info. I think you did well and got what you paid for. Preventative maintenance certainly pays in the long run. I am doing the same however in small increments and it is costing me as much or more.

Stuart
Old 09-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Stuart; I feel better about the investment.

I know I said I need to trim my list...but...
Sitting here at work and I think, "It sure would be nice to have that notch in the lower rail of the wet bay to allow the fresh water hose to just lay down there, rather than feeding it through the hole in the floor."

....must investigate further.....
Old 09-06-2015, 11:14 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Labor day weekend is right! Removed 21 drawers, sanded, and applied 2 coats of lacquer. Sanded and tack ragged 1 more time.

Installed electrical surge protector. Didn't work. Tracked down to bad contact in the electric cord reel...1 leg of the 50amp service is bad, unrepairable....Now I need a new $500 reel....

Found a new leak I didn't have before inside. No..make that 2.

Tomorrow remove the reel to verify, 2 more lacquer coats and attempt a welding modification to the wet bay..

Made repair to engine surge tank. Results uncertain. If not. ..another bundle o honey

I love a challenge. ...sometimes

Tags
beaver