RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #1

2008 Diplomat Battery Charging

While in storage and plugged to shore power the coach batteries charged but my chassis batteries were dead. So my question is, does the shore power charging system charge only the coach batteries?

Mit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #2

Most inverter chargers only charge coach/house battery's, I have a Echo charger that allows chassis battery to be charged, connects to house batteries and shares charging.

Outbound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The chassis batts are not charged with the shore power as wired from the factory,we added the Echo charger to keep them up.
taz4028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I can always count on you guys to come through.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:07 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mit12-

As a counterpoint to the previous responses, it would be unusual for a coach like yours not to charge the chassis batteries from the house charging system. Our low-end Monaco of the same model year has such a system.

I suspect you have the components, and one of them has failed. The most-common component to fail is the solenoid that connects the two battery banks. The second-most-common item to fail is the controller that determines when that solenoid closes to allow cross-charging. Both of those components should be able to be found, tested and replaced as needed.

This recent thread should bring you up the curve some:

Correct "Big Boy" operation
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:33 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit12 View Post
While in storage and plugged to shore power the coach batteries charged but my chassis batteries were dead. So my question is, does the shore power charging system charge only the coach batteries?
Install the Trik-L-Start and that will keep your chassis batteries charged while the coach is parked.

https://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Mit12-

As a counterpoint to the previous responses, it would be unusual for a coach like yours not to charge the chassis batteries from the house charging system. Our low-end Monaco of the same model year has such a system.

I suspect you have the components, and one of them has failed. The most-common component to fail is the solenoid that connects the two battery banks. The second-most-common item to fail is the controller that determines when that solenoid closes to allow cross-charging. Both of those components should be able to be found, tested and replaced as needed.

This recent thread should bring you up the curve some:

Correct "Big Boy" operation
I agree with this post.

A simple test will be to start your engine, let it run 10 minutes, and see if the alternator charges the house batteries.

If not, that means the isolation system is not working.

The Trik l Start thing fixes the chassis battery issue but leave the house batteries not being charged, while on the road.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #8

I tried to use the battery boost to start the engine and it did nothing. Would this be a solenoid problem?
Old 06-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit12 View Post
I tried to use the battery boost to start the engine and it did nothing. Would this be a solenoid problem?
There is more than one cause for the BATT BOOST not working. But, a failed solenoid is the most common cause.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:18 PM   #10

How do I know which solenoid activates the booster?
Old 06-13-2019, 09:23 PM   #11

Try having someone push the switch on and off. Listen for it clunking on and off.
Many times they clunk but don't connect internally.

It will also be the one with heavy, battery cable size, wires on both sides.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:48 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Try having someone push the switch on and off. Listen for it clunking on and off.
Many times they clunk but don't connect internally.

It will also be the one with heavy, battery cable size, wires on both sides.
The 2006 Diplomat and below coaches do not have the BIRD but have the IRD (Isolator Relay Delay) Module. I may be wrong but think the 2008 Diplomat also has the IRD. The IRD will close the contactor to connect the house and chassis battery banks to allow the alternator to charge the house batteries once the chassis batteries are charged but does not close that contactor to allow shore power to charge the chassis batteries. The Trik-L-Start has been popular for years on these lower end coaches to keep the chassis battery charged up while the coach is parked. We installed the Trik-L-Start about 11 years ago. The Trik-L-Start is not a battery charger but more of a battery maintainer. Your chassis battery should be fully charged from the alternator when you park the coach. The Trik-L-Start keeps the parasitic loads that are always present on your chassis battery system from draining them down to a point where the coach will not start. If the batteries are already down then use the boost switch to start the engine or attach a stand alone battery charger to bring the chassis batteries back up.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trik-L-Start next to contactor.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	249818  
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #13
YC1

Look at your front run panel. If it looks like this one and probably does because the Diplomat should be the clone of the HR that year then it should charge the engine batteries.

Two things that fail. The large solenoid is a huge culprit and can can be troubleshot easily. It should have 13.5 volts approx on the purple wire when when plugged into shoreline after a couple of minutes. The purple wire on the solenoid is the control line.

If the solenoid is warm or hot to the touch then it is being energized. IF it is energized the large posts should have the exact same voltage on them.

I won't go into details right now because this issue has been covered hundreds of times and will provide links as you progress through the problem. Or others will jump on and help of course.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Distribution Panel Late model.pdf (350.0 KB, 3 views)

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging