Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2008 Monaco Cayman Questions

I
We recently sold our 2014 Winnebago Vista and purchased a 2008 Monaco Cayman 35SBD. Although some of the manuals were in the RV they were not complete. I have some questions and hope someone on this forum can help me.

1. It has a 4 door stainless refrigerator with an ice maker. The Monaco Manual says there is at least one cut-off for the water to the icemaker. I cannot locate that cutfoff. Where is one located?

2. The manual says there is a winterization bypass valve located on the back of the water heater. My water heater is located close to the bottom of the RV and no cabinets or access is available to the rear of the water heater. Where is the bypass valve located????

3. Slide-out operation. A caution on page 98 under Slide-out operation says, in part, that the motorhome must be supported by the air suspension bags before slide-outs can be extended or retracted. DO NOT operate slide-outs with the air bags deflated or WHEN SUPPORTED BY JACKS.

Another part on page 200, under leveling, says to deflate the air bags before leveling. Now every previous RV I have owned stated to level the vehicle BEFORE extending the slide-out. These instructions seem to conflict.

Do you extend the slide-out, then deflate the air bags, then level it ?? What procedures is used to level the Rv and extend the slide-outs?

I would appreciate any information.
qcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Here is what I do with slides. They are the first thing out, then air dump, then jacks. Reverse when leaving.
Just remember, slides are the first out, then last in.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Re: Item 2

The "Front" of the water heater is outside the coach. Attached image shows the bypass valve.

Dennis
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
DPO1;

Thanks for the reply; however, I can't find a way to get to the back of the water heater. There are no door or compartments that will allow me to access the rear of the heater. That's what has me confused.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
On my 2009 model, there is an access door inside the storage compartment on the right side of the motorhome. It's only about a one foot square, but you can reach in and feel the bypass handle.

I've never used a water turn-off for the ice maker... I just lift the arm inside the freezer.

On the slide outs... always slide out first, dump air, then level... just like the manual says. Then in reverse order when leaving... just like the manual says. Monaco/HR does their's different then others.

If you have any other questions, just let us know.

Ron
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #6

Do you have a Manibloc in your service bay? It would be about 18" high and 12" wide, with red and white ball valves along both sides. It may be behind a door in the service bay. If so, that would probably be the only place where you could turn off the water going to the ice maker. The only other likely spot would be in a kitchen cupboard adjacent to the refrigerator, quite possible below a bottom pull-out drawer or under a floor panel in the cupboard. Good luck! You will likely love your "new" coach!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #7

Shirley
1. Our 38SBD has the cut-off valve underneath the 4 door Norcold, which we replaced with a Samsung 197. You already got answers to the rest of your questions.
Have you ascertained whether your trailing arms have been replaced? It is a serious flaw with the RR4R chassis. If not, call Source Engineering after reviewing their website:
Source Engineering Inc.
In addition to replacing MCC trailing arms, IMHO, it is almost as important to add Source's REK--Ride Enhancement Kit, as the RR4R has a serious and non-safe porpoising problem. These problems can be overcome, but do cost money. Good luck.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks very much for all of your replies. You have certainly been a big help. Thanks again............
Old 06-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
All your questions were answered, but here is the "why" to your last question. Monaco's are built on the level, fully aired-up chassis on the assembly line, so the slides are installed and aligned with the air bags full, hence why Monaco wants them extended and retracted only with full air bags. But once the slides have been extended, when you come to level the coach, it makes it easier to level if you dump the air first (less leveling jack travel required), so that's why the instructions on page 200 of your manual - plus by dumping air first your front step is usually not as high off the ground.

Hope this helps.
Retd_ontheRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hello qcable, congratulations on your new coach. I also just recently purchased a 2008 Monaco Cayman. I appreciate your questions and was also incorrectly performing the slide-out, air dump, level sequence. I will follow the appropriate method. I found the water heater bypass access from the storage compartment. Now I'll look for the water line shut off. Enjoy your MH as I am also doing.
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco