Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #1

2008 Monaco Diplomat generator

I live in Lake Havasu AZ and in the summer it gets 115 plus degrees and 2 AC’s will not keep up. I am limited to 2 AC unite because of the 7500KW generator. What is the largest generator that will fit in this Motorhome?
Mit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 10:49 PM   #2

3 acs is 4500 watts running, how much do they pull on start up. The new inverters will suppliment your gen. on startup
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:33 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit12 View Post
I live in Lake Havasu AZ and in the summer it gets 115 plus degrees and 2 AC’s will not keep up. I am limited to 2 AC unite because of the 7500KW generator. What is the largest generator that will fit in this Motorhome?
One would assume and hope that you are usually parked in a campground and have a 50 amp connection. When connected to shore power the size of your generator is irrelevant. If it were me I would install a third air conditioner where you presently have a Fantastic fan and route a wire to a 20 Amp socket in one of the bays. Fabricate an extension cord using 12-2 or 12-3 SOW wire that matches the 20 amp socket with a standard 120VAC male plug on the other end. Plug that into the 20 amp socket at the pedestal or use an adapter and plug it into the 30 amp socket at the pedestal. It is nice to have both methods because the 20 amp socket is not always available at the pedestal. Use that source of power to operate the third unit while you are camped in a fixed position. The third air conditioner should be the type that is normally used as a stand alone unit and has controls at the unit.

If you desire to operate this third air conditioner while traveling then it would be better to make a cable that plugs into the block heater outlet near the radiator. You will have to route the cable carefully under the coach so that it is not damaged by moving suspension parts or rotating wheels. It would be best to encase it in split loom.

By the way, a 2008 Diplomat should have an 8000 watt generator, our 2006 Diplomat has the 8K Quite Diesel Onan.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Not that it makes but a small difference, but your coach should have a 8K generator, my 2008 Endeavor which is the same unit has a 8K.
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
A quick fix might be to buy a small stand alone AC unit that you could set up to assist the other 2 AC units
https://www.amazon.com/Shinco-Portab...SIN=B07D8TWJ2T
You would have to have a duct exhausting to the outside. This unit only pulls about 800 watt, there are larger ones.

At full load you generator should be able to handle ~60 amps, the trick will be to balance the load so not to overload one leg. If you have a progressive surge protector with display you can figure out what you are pulling per leg.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #6

You are correct it is a 8k. Driving in 115 degree plus weather the coach is 85 to 87 degrees. When I pull the generator out with the slide it appears to have some room to spare. This why I asked if anyone knows what is the max size generator that will fit.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:14 PM   #7
YC1

I think you may need to service those that you have. 115 is near impossible to keep things much cooler unless you have some serious shade.

Our 2008 Endeavor has two AC's and they run all day and almost all night in central Florida. I keep the coils clean and have done some work on the duct work.

For example, the round output registers used to reach a couple of inches into the ac ductwork. Instead of being flush the air has to go up and over the round excess plastic.

It was easy to cut them down and make them flush. The air flow is much better now.

I have also closed out the part of the intake/output grill that used to have a mechanism to allow air to flow directly out of the AC. That was just way too noisy.

Inside the air intake I have added material to make the air flow much smoother instead of having to bounce around against corners and angles inside.

Our generator is 8KW.

If you are parked it is imperative to get some outside cover over that front windshield. I can feel the temp drop instantly once mine is installed. Mine allows visibility out and little inward except at night.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #8

I get what you are saying and I have done so if the same things you have done. My point is some of the real high end Motorhomes have 4 ac’s On the roof and I am pretty sure they do not suffer from this. With an 8k generator I am limited to 2 ac units.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Myron
What type of cover are you using on your windshield, I need to do something, just don’t want to waste $$ on something that doesn’t work.

Thanks
Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:50 PM   #10

I had an idea a few years ago on how to help with cooling when it's extremely hot out. I set a small but powerful squirrel cage fan in the bedroom on the floor blowing forward. The bedroom stays much cooler due to the smaller area it's cooling plus keeping the shades closed avoids the sun heating things up. Sitting in the front seats, I can feel the cool air coming forward versus not having the fan on. With this fan running we rarely have to use the dash AC to supplement with cooling. Another fan could be ran closer to the front to supplement the back fan if needed to move more air forward. The fan adds very little electrical draw to the Genny to, unlike another AC unit would. HTH

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You aren't really limited to just 2 AC units. I, and several others on here, have added a 3rd unit exactly the way Bob 'Nodine' referenced. Like he sez, you can run it off a 50A pedestal with a little work, and run off the 8KW genset as-is. I stagger the temp set-points so as to try to minimize all 3 compressors kicking in at once.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:06 PM   #12

Measure a 10k Onan Quiet and see if it'll fit. I'll bet that your frame rails are no closer together than mine are and I have a 10k which runs all 3 of my heat pumps with power to spare.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #13
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisZ View Post
Myron
What type of cover are you using on your windshield, I need to do something, just don’t want to waste $$ on something that doesn’t work.

Thanks
Dennis
Unfortunately the company owners retired. It was made by Prompt Rv in Winter Haven Florida. Strange coincidence, we moved here 6 years ago and visited them.

The shade is made from heavy material with small holes in it. To install I hook it on the passenger side of the rv with just one hook. There is a bar of metal that is a bit flexible that holds the material vertical from top to bottom.

I then unroll it while walking to the drivers side. The wife opens the window and I hand her the heavy bungie cord attached to the metal. She hooks it to the window frame.

No snaps needed anywhere. I can install it by myself or remove it. It rolls up nicely for storage. Install time is about 1.5 minutes.

Blocking the sun from the outside is paramount versus a shade inside.

Ditto on placing a fan in the bedroom to push cold air forward.

But do take some time to inspect the duct outlets to see if they just stuffed them in with the excess material blocking the smooth flow of air. I could barely feel my vents blowing. It is a huge difference now.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit12 View Post
Private property? Build a shade cover over it Less $$ than swapping generators and you'll be much more comfortable. I can cool mine for about $5/day at those temperatures under cover.

Tags
generator, monaco, monaco diplomat