Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2010, 07:37 AM   #1

2008 Monaco Knight with Cummins 330

I have the rear radiator in my Knight. Looks like 2 radiators, one on top of the other. I am wondering how the fan works? It seems to turn all the time. When the engine is stopped I try to move the fan and it won't move. I am guessing this radiator does NOT have a clutch. Does it run continuously?

How does it work whern the engine gets warm?

Steve__
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your setup sounds like my '04 Diplomat (Cummins 330). Indeed, the engine cooling fan turns all the time. It does not have a fan clutch similar to how cars were (before cars went to electric-driven fans). When first starting the Cummins, walk past the rear of the coach and note the volume of cool (relatively speaking) blown-air on your body. A same walk when the Cummins is at road temperature...and you'll note the same amount of blown air, but obviously quite warm/hot.

The top radiator is the "charge-air cooler" (air is being cooled within). The bottom radiator is where the engine coolant is being cooled.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced the fan on my 2007 Knight with the new Horton’s VMaster fan which is controlled by a variable speed fan drive managed by the engine’s electronic control module, delivering engine cooling only when needed. It cost me about $800 with installation. You definitely notice a huge difference in engine noise as it only runs when needed. I have experienced about .8-mpg increase. I believe it was a very good deal for the money with the price of fuel going up and up. Here’s a link to the data sheet.

http://fulfill.pgicompanies.com/sqli.../pdf/22888.pdf

chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
gnm

Monaco Owners Club
I put the same V-Master clutch fan on my 2006 HR Ambassador. That's one way Monaco cut corners on their read radiator RV's.
The charge air cooler is mounted above the radiator and helps cool the air from the turbo-charger before it enters the engine for burning with the fuel, this make for more power, engines like cool air.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You know what I'd like to see?.....

After a day's drive, you stop and use the rear AC or open windows (if cool enough outside) because the bedroom continues to "cook" as the engine cools beneath. If we had electric radiator fans, we could run them for 15 or 20 minutes after engine shutdown and really cut down on this radiant heat problem.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi.1014 View Post
You know what I'd like to see?.....

After a day's drive, you stop and use the rear AC or open windows (if cool enough outside) because the bedroom continues to "cook" as the engine cools beneath. If we had electric radiator fans, we could run them for 15 or 20 minutes after engine shutdown and really cut down on this radiant heat problem.
Why not mount a 12 volt or a 110 v fan in the engine bay to help cool it down you could use the engine heater 110 V plug in for the fan and the switch on the dash to cut it on.

Walt
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, this fan would need to move some significant volume. So Walt: is there a business opportunity here ???????