Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2010, 03:46 AM   #1

2009 Monaco Diplomat Purchase - NEED ADVISE

We are a day away from making a decision to buy a 2009 Monaco Diplomat ban new left-over with aN MSRP of $275,000. We believe we can purchase it with all warrantees for $175,000.

Would you consider this to be a good price or should we keep looking and pass on this deal?

PLEASE HELP US OUT WITH YOUR ADVISE.
KenD245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2010, 05:45 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenD245 View Post
We are a day away from making a decision to buy a 2009 Monaco Diplomat ban new left-over with aN MSRP of $275,000. We believe we can purchase it with all warrantees for $175,000.

Would you consider this to be a good price or should we keep looking and pass on this deal?

PLEASE HELP US OUT WITH YOUR ADVISE.
Sounds like a heckuva deal to me. Wish I had a dealer around here discounting like that.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Drifter

Thanks for responding but you did not leave a comment
Old 08-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #5

I understaqnd that the Endeavor is the identical unit but in the Holiday Rambler product line. Are you satisfied with yours?
Old 08-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The first year of ownership is a time of adjusting and minor repairs. Thats a burden for some, but the people you meet and the places you see are by far worth it. Your a little nervous now and we have all been there, so enjoy and don't rush the process. It sounds like you have a very fare deal. Your fellow owners are here for you if needed.

PS: The Icon's say it all.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
i purchased a new hr in 2009 .love it however be sure of your warranty as i dont believe it will be covered by by the manufactuer as in 09 monaco filed bankruptcy and the assets not liabilities were purchased by navistar. my dealer (boatnrv) gave me an after market warranty not sure as how good it was because after 15 months of ownership all is well
good luck ,enjoy and travel often
brianj
Old 08-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #8

You Holiday if it is the ndeavor is the same as the Monoco Diplomat. Do y ou think the price of $175,000 which I believe I can buy it for is a good price.

Do you see the Holiday or the Monoco depreciating significanly?

thanks
Old 08-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ken

I bought a 2008 Endeavor last August, the sticker was $268K, and I got it for $159.5K with a couple of extras thrown in. The 2009's were going for about $35K to $40k more at that time. I think that $175 is a fair price, you might want to have them include an extended warranty since the coach won't be covered by Monaco.

I don't think the value will drop badly, I just looked at the NADA guide for mine, and the low book is $167, the high is $201.

I've only had a couple of minor things go with mine, and was able to take care of them myself.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #10

Sounds like you got a good deal.

Thanks for the input you gave me. I am viewing the $175,000 as a fair price but it looks like it is no bargain.

I hope to get some more input.

Thanks all.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #11

Sounds like a good deal, get it! We bought our 08 Safari Damara in 2010 for $39k. It was new, never owned but we did not get the factory warranties. Sticker was $76k, to good to pass up!
safari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #12

You see my coach in the signature..Love the coach but hate the politics involved because you will only get an outside warranty company. Monaco themselves will disavow any warranty since the bankruptcy of Monaco Coach. There are a few known issues with the coach (the LCI hydraulic system) do a search on that one---...and whatever warranty the dealer gives you will not cover a house defective issue.

Please PM me as to where this is and I might be able to guide you more..I do know of one new Monaco dealer who has a few old units that IS taking care of warranty issues.

Note that this unit could be two years old too...batteries and loss of two years of tire use comes to mind. Also the get up on the roof and look at tape over cap and shower skylight. They used crap tape and it all comes up. I took it off and put on Eternabond...to prevent a leak from starting...
What floor plan are you looking at? There might be a possible CCC issue and you should have dealer weigh coach.

I did have issues and the component manufacturer did step up to the plate..(LCI and Carrier)...so if you can handle new coach bugs and a few jumping through hoops to get to component manufacturers.....it's a good deal..but I would hold out for even more off..If it has a sticker of 275K...I'd try to get it down even more depending on the area of the country you are at...I can tell you that there are plenty of these around whether HR or Monaco..same coach...different color schemes...
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #13

Stuart and Stella

Thank you so much for your input. This is the kind of imput that has great value and I appreciate you giving it to me.

The dealer I am looking to buy the unit from is in the Philadelphia area. As you indicate perhaps I did not negotiate hard enough and I should contact someone else. I would apprediate any input on other dealers you can provide.

Another thought I have is to perhaps buy a 2011 and get all the warrantees (potential resale may be greater as well). I realize that the biggest expense in owning a motor home is the depreciation and buying a 2011 would put me ahead by 2 full years over buying the prebankrupsy 2009 leftover.

In reviewing the brochure of the 2011 Monaco I see that the Diplomat is now a tag axle and they have improved the specs on the Cayman. The Cayman 40PBQ looks good for our needs with the 360 Cummings diesel engine. What are your thoughts of buying the 2011 Cayman over the 2009 Diplomat 41 PDQ? Naturally I would have to negotiate hard to get a good discount from list.

Again I appreciate your input. If you would you can email me direct at KenD245@aol.com

Thanks again

Ken Schlenker
Old 08-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up

Ken,
I just bought a 20011 Diplomat 43DFT. I had previously owned a 2005 HR Endeavor PDQ. My Endeavor was totalled after a refrig fire so my number 1 requirement for the new coach was no gas refrig. I could not find any used coaches in my price range which met the no gas frig requirement. After looking at new coaches I found most manufactures now were offering residential refrig in their lower end coaches. I looked at several brands but chose Monaco as my Endeavor was pretty trouble free. The new Cayman appears to be about equal to the old Endeavor in most areas except the engine (ISC vs ISL) and priced in the same price range as the 2009 Diplomat you are looking at. The new Diplomats are many levels above my old Endeavor. Your deal on the 2009 looks decent. I found some new 2008's for around $150,000 less warrnty. My rule on these orphan coaches is 60% of sticker is a fair deal. Check out the 2011 Monacos. I got a good deal at Lazydays and I am very happy with the new coach.

Ed Robbins
League City,Tx
I-LOVE-RAMBLIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diplomat, monaco diplomat, purchase