Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2012 Monaco step

Hi All,
My steps don't retract all of the time when they are supposed to.....no rhyme or reason to it....sometimes when the door shuts...some times a minute or two after the door shuts....can't figure it out...any advice...thanks!
printernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The only way the steps know the door is closed is a magnetic switch on the door frame. It sounds line it's getting stuck or not aligned up properly.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
No I believe it is the module on the step assembly....JC
Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My 2012 does the same thing.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Check the magnetic sensors under the step. Also be very careful while under it in case the step suddenly closes.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
HI: GUYS
KNIGHT12 here and yes we have the same problem .So we took it back to the dealer they put a new module control as advised by the maker of the step and were told to hope it works. will it didn't so back to the manufacture a phone call went we were told they know they have a problem and we need to watch to make sure the steps are out or in and until they find a fix to live with IT !!!
KNIGHT12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Well, that's just swell! It's a good thing future buyers of Monaco's products don't read this forum!
printernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Knight12,

Did you talk personally with the manufacturer or is this "hearsay" from your dealer. If you we're told personally by the manufacturer to "live with it until we find a solution", I would follow this conversation up with an email to the manufacturer describing the exact wording in the phone conversation and ask for a written response. Too much manufacturer (or dealer) liability for someone stepping out of a door with no step that reportedly can't be fixed. I doubt that you will get the same answer in writing.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ok maybe we didn't make it very clear ? The step always goes out it just does not go back IN when it should , some times it will take 1min or more other times it will retract and work perfectly . Sometimes when you start the engine and close the door we wait for the step to retract (1or2 min.)before we can pull out. And yes did talk to tech. at manufacture and they are working to correct the problem and hope to have the fix by middle of this year ?
KNIGHT12
Old 04-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Knight12 to PRINTERNOT
This post is not to say NAVISTAR makes a bad MH .They just used a bad step manufacture ? as far as It seems to me both NAVISTAR & the step maker are trying to fix the problem ,Do I think this should have takened so long NO!! But as I said the step always goes out just not back in like it should . Do I ThINK THE DEALER IS TELLING THE TRUTH COMPLETELY ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!! Had to many issues with this dealer to ever buy from them again ! Iwill say that NAVISTAR and there reps from the factory where just great with all the problems & issues we had ,if the dealer would have done there part we might not be having this post. NAVISTAR makes a beautiful MOTOR HOME just a poor choice in dealers but I can't say the sales part was bad just the SERVICE & repair was SO BAD That after almost 1year of trying to get things right ,well lets just say my wife I think knows as much as the dealers repair techs. hey sorry for being so long ! But it felt good !!!!
KNGHT12
Old 04-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIGHT12 View Post
Ok maybe we didn't make it very clear ? The step always goes out it just does not go back IN when it should , some times it will take 1min or more other times it will retract and work perfectly . Sometimes when you start the engine and close the door we wait for the step to retract (1or2 min.)before we can pull out. And yes did talk to tech. at manufacture and they are working to correct the problem and hope to have the fix by middle of this year ?
KNIGHT12
Let us know if you ever hear back on this as I will want to get mine replaced too.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Our 2011 step quit had a service guy out and it was just a corroded butt connector. Apparently there are 2 or 3 to control the step and the front wheel throws water on these connections all the time. Monaco did not use water proof connectors. The service guy says it is great for him he makes a killing charging for a service call plus a half hour labour for poor wiring.
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Dennis k will keep you in the loop if we hear any more on this . wish our step did stop working ,at least we could have gotten a new step that might have worked better. Matchayan we tried spaying a sealer on the connectors to no effect . KNIGHT12
Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Knight12 the connecters were corroded inside the but connectors and the connectors had to be replaced could not visually see a problem and we heat shrank them as well.
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco