Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2013 HR Vacationer Battery disconnect switch function/purpose

I thought the Battery Disconnect switch when in the off position would turn off anything connected to my house batteries, apparently not. I have the unit in storage and when I left it there, made sure the switch was off using the radio as my 'confirmation'. After about a month both batteries were so low, the generator would not crank, the boost did not do anything either.

How do I find out what is connected to them?
denk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 03:27 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
On my 2015 I have a manual battery switch in the basement electrical compartment that is for the inverter circuits only, I also have two switches by the door that services the house and chassis batteries. The two near the door are the ones that kill everything. If those are working correctly and the relays are good you should be ok. I was told by a tech at the factory that the co detector and gas detector are energized all the time no matter what.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:33 AM   #3

Designs don't just change from year to year, but even from individual coach to individual coach. So I don't expect a huge similarity between your '11 Holiday and our '06 Dynasty. But I will share the list of things that are "always hot" on our coach.

They include the AquaHot, the refrigerator, the CO detector, the LP gas detector, the CB radio, the security system and the electric door and bay door locking system.

We have a couple more, but they are systems that have likely been replaced by newer technology or are no longer used. They include our GPS CD unit, our air leveling system (not sure what part is kept live), and our Aladdin (coach monitoring unit).

This may not be very valuable information, but it might give you some ideas of what to check out.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:42 AM   #4

I guess my question now is; what's the purpose does the 'disconnect' switch?
Old 05-31-2016, 06:54 AM   #5

Before I installed a "hard" disconnect switch I used the Magnum disconnect. I noted that with this switch "off" and the inverter switch "on" the battery would last a few days. If I turned the disconnect and inverter switch "off" about 3 weeks.

With the "hard" disconnect off about 5 weeks in Winter.

So for storage longer than 2 weeks I turn the hard disconnect off. For shorter periods I turn the Magnum switch and inverter off. In my view it takes less effort to get things going during the active travel season.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:10 AM   #6

Thanks, on my last coach, I used to disconnect the house batteries by taking the cables off the negative terminals but that's a bit harder on this coach.

What type of 'hard disconnect' did you use and where did you install it?
Old 06-01-2016, 06:17 AM   #7

I used this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed on a bulkhead in the battery compartment. It is connected to the house batteries before the shunt. It does require another battery cable that I got from General RV. Some rigs have two, one for engine and one for House.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, cat, switch