Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2018 Monaco Marquis - no more Diplomat?

Well it looks like the Diplomat is potentially gone for 2018. Monaco Coach – Class A Motorhomes – Monaco Luxury Motor Coach

Owning a 2000 Dynasty, we're certainly in the market for a new motorhome in the near future.

Talking with the REV VP of sales at the FMCA Indy show last year, we indicated our dismay at a lack of family oriented Class A diesel pushers. We REALLY wanted to see the Diplomat 43Q Bunk model, but it was not at the show (and no dealers close to us in KY had it). We indicated that the Entegra Aspire 44R was the closest thing we've wanted and that we were disappointed with some of the build quality of it (The wall between the bedroom and bathroom was very flimsy, they used vinyl wood veneer on walls and areas where we'd want either real wood or wood veneer or just straight up wallpaper or paint since the vinyl veneers never age like the surrounding wood.

He pushed us towards the (terribly laid out for us) Fleetwood Discovery 40G Bunk where you either have to squeeze into the Master bedroom from the bunk area door next to the master bed, or go through the bathroom. He also mentioned the American Coach line has had bunks in them but they are more one-off customs and that the bunk bed itself was narrower than the Diplomat. Again, none on hand to see.

My ideal coach would have been a 2016 level Dynasty with the Diplomat 43Q layout but no dice on that.

In the end he said they were re-vamping the Monaco line and that there would be some exciting new things coming, hence this post.

To me, it looks like they took the Fleetwood Discovery and re-badged it Monaco Marquis. 380HP, rear radiator, same floorplans. That's fine, the Monaco line was certainly missing its more popular entry level coaches at REV, but it feels like they are pulling some GM Badge Engineering tricks with different front and rear clips and some paint and trim changes and calling it a Monaco. No real heritage or bloodlines of coaches of the past. Not even a nod to some "B Series Roadmaster Chassis" which of course was smoke and mirrors anyhow.

Not to mention the dilution of the Marquis name which was Beaver's top end coach!

I wonder why REV even bought Monaco at this point, to me it seems they wanted to get rid of the Roadmaster chassis as a point of competition and ride out the good will on the brand names while they could.

Anyhow, just venting frustration at the Class A market as it stands right now. We're going to have to buy used again and modify to make it fit our needs. Nothing wrong with that, but we can't be the only people in the US looking for a upper-mid level DP coach that has family features!

450 HP, side radiator, tag, 43-44ft, bunk house or rear-bunk, with well built interior. Too much to ask for I guess. I mean a little innovation with wall beds and wall bunks could really open this market up!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2018, 12:51 AM   #2

Steiner, thanks for this post! It is exactly the information Ive been looking for. I have been looking at the Monaco 42Q at MHSRV in Alvarado, Tx. The floor plan is what we are looking for but for a coach of this price point, we couldnt get over how dated a brand new coach looked (Especially if it is parked next to an Entegra).

I asked the salesman about 2019 Monaco orders and they said they had no information about whether Monaco was going to continue make any facelifts for 2019. I suppose they forgot they told me that and then later informed me that some new changes were coming, including the integrated awning I was asking about. I felt like they were not being overly forthcoming about new model information in hopes that I would be happy with the one sitting on the lot. I may be reading in to things but it didnt give me the warm and fuzzies.

I completely agree with you on the lack of Mid-to-upper range DPs that are family oriented. There are some, such as the mid range Discovery 40G, that provide an acceptable mid bunk room but the walls seem so flimsy that the doors may as well just be a curtain. We want to be able to use the kitchen and living areas after the kids go to bed so the poor acoustic separation makes us less enthusiastic about mid bunk models.

That really brings us back to the rear bunk room options. The factory built rear bunk floor plans seem to include:
- 2011-2012 Discovery 42A
- 2016+ Monaco 43Q
- 2017+ American Revolution 42Q (Sometimes listed as the 42QB for the bunk model).
Then there are some folks that modify rear closets (which isnt really a true bunk room because of the smaller space, lack of exterior windows, and lack of dedicated HVAC). There is a irv2 member that had Lazy Days modify her Entregra Cornerstone 45A rear closet with bunks. It came out ok, but still appears to have the limitation listed above.

I realize there is a demand problem with not as many family buyers in this price point but hopefully we see some innovation in this regard with 2019s (we can hope right?).

Ill try to remember to post any of my new findings in this thread. Your insight on new Monaco changes was most helpful!

Old 01-02-2018, 01:26 AM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Just did see this coach with bunks,, but may be a bit out of your financial range.. Wonder if there are any that are used available?
Quite a large discount off MSRV.
Unsold 2016 model I think.

New 2016 Foretravel Realm

I don't know if this one is still available, but the price is better.

http://www.bus-stuff.com/2005Newell_Newell752.html

Surely there's other brands that can make a quality bunk bed model.. not just the thrown together "after thoughts"..that you've seen so far.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #4

Phew, now those are some coaches Saddlesore! But yes... well outside my budget.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Mammalian04 - I noticed Monaco did post the floorplans to the new "Executive" the other day, but they are missing again.

I didn't get a chance to really look at the specs to see if it was just a replacement for the Diplomat or not. It looks sharp from the homepage photo though.

The Foretravel and Newell's are amazing, but out of my price range. At least in what I've been able to find.

The most interesting coaches to me were the Mid Engined Diesel Newmar Allstars which could have been a neat fit for us. They were not up to the finish level of our 2000 Dynasty however (no Aqua Hot, doesn't appear to be hardwood cabinets, and I think only 2 AC units) Alas they never took off and Spartan quit making that chassis.

I would love to see someone take the Thor/Damon Outlaw type floorplan and apply it to a DP somehow. A loft with a QUALITY rear Bed/Office room with Murphy/Desk combo would be amazing. I think the main issue is the height of the Cummins I6 which results in a raised floor in the rear. I don't need a converted Toy Hauler Class A DP, but a QUALITY multi-purpose rear bedroom seems like an absolute no-brainer to me. An additional loft bed (or storage for others) would make it AMAZING for us.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #6

Your desired coach and mine may as well be identical!

I liked the mid engine all star. I almost bought one a couple years ago but when I flew out to pick up the unit, the local Chassis shop found that the owner was covering up major engine work. The funny thing is that we later found out the work he was hiding was covered by a Cummins warranty. If he had just been honest, I probably wouldn’t have cared. There are shady people out there in this world....

Anyway, the all star had some interesting plans with the split level rear loft/master. Another interesting one plan that they only built one of (AFAIK) was a rear bonus room that had double slides. It would have made a great bunk room / offfice combo. Too bad Spartan moves on...
Old 01-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steined View Post
Mammalian04 -
The most interesting coaches to me were the Mid Engined Diesel Newmar Allstars which could have been a neat fit for us. They were not up to the finish level of our 2000 Dynasty however (no Aqua Hot, doesn't appear to be hardwood cabinets, and I think only 2 AC units) Alas they never took off and Spartan quit making that chassis.
One of my fishing buddy neighbors was really serious about the mid engine coach... until we put a tape measure from the oil pan to the ground at travel height...Nowhere near enough ground clearance if you got off the pavement.. and speed bumps would be a real concern....
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #8

Good to know. I am no longer considering the All Stars but I still fancied the Travel Supreme on the same mid-engine Spartan Chassis with the rear garage under the Master bedroom (until kids came along that is)...

Tags
monaco