Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #15

I applogize for crafting my question so poorly. I am referring to the physical connection to connect a 15/20 amp outlet to my 220v 50amp shore power cable. I understand about ohms law and drawing excessive current. The problem is I can disable all breakers in the coach, thereby, eliminating any load. However, when I plug the cable into the outlet, the supply breaker trips. The problem is most likely in the adapters I'm using. My question is: What arrangement do I use to connect my 4 prong plug into a 110v 15/20 outlet? I've looked on Camping World's Website and there are several adapters to choose from. It seems what I need is an appropriate adapter, but which one? I really appreciate the help.

Bill
BillFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
You need One of these and one of these. Both are available at most RV Dealers & Walmarts...

You can also purchase a single adapter designed to go from 50 female to a 15/20 amp male, however they are more expensive.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermilye View Post
You need One of these and one of these. Both are available at most RV Dealers & Walmarts...

You can also purchase a single adapter designed to go from 50 female to a 15/20 amp male, however they are more expensive.
I agree.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #18

Ok. Now we're getting somewhere. I have one of these. I have come out of the 110v socket with it and plugged a slanted 3 prong cable (the same as shown) into it with the other end going to my 4 prong shore power cable. Could it be that the adapter I'm using between the part you recommend and the shore cable is incorrect?
BillFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
The combination of the two adapters I described should work. If they don't, a couple of things to check:
1. Are you sure everything in the RV is off? A 15 amp circuit is not capable of supplying more than 1800watts, a 20 amp 2400 watts.

2. Are there any other loads on the garage circuit?

3. Is the breaker that is tripping a GFCI type (it would have a push button to reset it in addition to the typical handle). If so, it is possible there is a fault in the RV. It would not show up in a 30 amp or 50 amp connection because they are generally not GFCI protected. Most modern garage outlets are protected by a GFCI. If the fault is between the neutral & ground, the GFCI will trip even with all the RV's circuit breakers off. You can confirm this as the problem by plugging the RV into a non GFCI outlet (Most garage, outside, bathroom & laundry receptacles are GFCI protected). If it is a GFCI problem, you should find what is causing it & get it fixed. A properly working RV should be able to plug into a GFCI circuit without tripping it.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #20
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Another possibility is that the inverter is trying to charge the batteries at a high rate and drawing too many amps and tripping the breaker.

With most inverters, you cannot turn off the battery charging feature.

You may have to run the generator until the inverter charges the batteries and then try the 15amp service.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #21

Bill
I dont know if the breakers in your panel are shutting down the charger section in your inverter....that was my point
i have actually run my coach on 15 amp plugs many times
50 amp adapter to 30 amp and then to 15 amp adapter.
Your answer then is yes you should be able to do it.if ALL the current draw is shut off and you still blow the 15 amp breaker you have a short
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #22

On my old xantex and with my new Magnum there is a charger on /off switch on the remote panel above the stove.....for what its worth...Plus i change power supply to 15 amp service and set charge rate to 20% and can run an air conditioner on 20 amps fine....on a #12awg cord
Old 01-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #23

one other thing to check is that the hot and neutral are not cross wired in the receptacle
Old 01-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought I answered this.. I see someone else has mentioned the GFCI issue... I will add one thing.. If you have an inverter, many times they bond Neutral to Ground.. Now some (Prosine) only do it when in "inverter" mode and never bond the mains Neutral to ground.. Others (Brands not known) DO it all the time. This will trip a GFCI.

If you are tripping the actual breaker

Big Ticket items (Items that draw more than 10 amps) include the Air Conditioner, Water heater, The converter if batteries are low, Microwave and space heaters.

20 amp: ONE big ticket
30 Two
50 Six to seven
Old 01-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
A double pole 30 amp breaker is actually two single pole 30 ampere breakers tied together at the factory with a "common trip" mechanism. More than thrity amps on either leg will trip both.

But if you should separate them you have two 30 amp circuits.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
The problem is I can disable all breakers in the coach, thereby, eliminating any load. However, when I plug the cable into the outlet, the supply breaker trips.
I assume this supply breaker is in the main breaker panel for the house. Does this breaker have a "push to test" button on it? If so, it's a GFCI breaker, and it could be a ground fault that's tripping the breaker. Since it trips with all the breakers in the coach turned off, it would make sense.

Or is what trips an outlet with "test" and "reset" buttons on it? Some people also call these breakers when they are really GFCIs. If so, then it's definitely a aground fault problem, and unlikely to be an adapter issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Bill, if I understand you correctly you want to split a 220v outlet into two 115v circuits. Yes that is possible but 220 v is usually a 30 amp circuit then you have two 115 volt 15 amp circuits which is the same as plugging into a 15 amp wall socket. If the 220 v is a 50 amp circuit as what goes to a electric stove or a dryer then you can get two 115 v 25 amp circuits.
I'm sorry, but this is just plain wrong. If you were to split a 240 V 30 A circuit into two 120 V circuits, they would be 30 A each. The 240 V 50 A circuit would split into two 120 V 50 A circuits.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #27

ShapeShifter you are correct. I had a senior moment. Thanks.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
ShapeShifter you are correct. I had a senior moment. Thanks.
No problem, it seems to be a common misconception. I don't know how many times I've seen someone try to explain a 50 amp RV circuit as two 25 amp circuits, or even a 30 and a 20 amp circuit. It just ain't so.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote