RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #1

3 leg leveling 2008 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ

We just had our first trip in our new to us coach. My question is when you are leveled on 3 jacks how much movement should you feel in the coach? My coach you can feel when someone moves in the kitchen while you are in the bedroom. Is this normal? It does not rock back and forth but it does have a little movement.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 12:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 07 Diplomat so might be different. But I feel no movement in the rig. Are you dumping the air before leveling? Sometimes if I didn't dump the air, (which is the air bag suspension) my air ride would still be carrying the load and give me the rocky feel. Only other possibility is all the legs are not lowering. Thats what I would check first...Doug

flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:25 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit12 View Post
We just had our first trip in our new to us coach. My question is when you are leveled on 3 jacks how much movement should you feel in the coach? My coach you can feel when someone moves in the kitchen while you are in the bedroom. Is this normal? It does not rock back and forth but it does have a little movement.
===========================================
We feel the same thing as you.
Three jacks is the worst thing they did.
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:57 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
As the others have stated, dump your air first, Then lower the front jack first, as per instructions, when you feel the front raise up, then do your rear jack on the low side, then the other one! Get it level, done!
We have no movement with our three jack system, it is solid as a rock!

Maybe it has something to do with the alum studs in the side walls and roof, as opposed to the steel that we have on our older Monaco? Don't know? Rail!
Old 12-06-2018, 05:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
As others have said you need to dump all the air from the air bags until they are down on the stops. Find a visual point thru the windshield and you can usually tell when the coach has stopped its descent. Dumping the bags all the way down does two things for you. First it gives you maximum travel on the jacks which helps when the campsite has significant slope. Second it puts the bags down on the stops and reduces the jelly effect. You will still sometimes feel movement in the coach but it will be far more stable than with the bags full.

The best way to dump the bags is to hold your foot on the service brake and at the same time hold down the dump switch and slightly press the parking brake knob until you hear the air rush. I do this until the air pressure is about 30 lbs on the air gauge. If the air pressure is above 60 lbs the bags will refill from the air supply. Just holding down the dump switch is a very slow process and takes forever. Another advantage to this method is that you don't have to worry about your grand kids or your dog pressing the parking brake release. The parking brakes will not release if the air pressure is below 60 lbs.

Bob
2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #6

We have both the HWH air leveling and the PowerGear hydraulic leveling. Air is good, Jacks are, too. Jacks are a bit more rigid, as hydraulic fluid is not compressible, and air is. But unless we are on good asphalt or concrete, we often find the jacks extending down into the ground, a bit, eve with the big pads on our jacks, so we've pretty much got the habit of using the air. (Besides, you can't leave the jacks down by accident, that way.)

I think three jacks is the way to go. A tripod is stable on ANY surface. A four legged table rarely is. When you put a lot of weight on all four corners of a table that is on an uneven surface, the table is going to bend until all for legs make good contact. The hydraulic controls are supposed to compensate for that, but with the three legged system, your coach will not get twisted, period.

Stability? On the air bags, it wobbles, a bit. On the jacks, it jiggles a bit. (It's kind of a matter of frequency.) You'll notice it on the three jack system the most when someone hits your exit steps coming or going. (People can't sneak in while you're napping!) On 4 jacks, which we've never had, I would expect the end result to be the best overall performance when it comes to stability.

Now, don't ask about extending your slides before or after you level. That thread will grow like wildfire.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
===========================================
We feel the same thing as you.
Three jacks is the worst thing they did.
Actually it's one of the best things about the Roadmaster chassis that we like. Simple to level, one less jack to worry about. A brilliant design.

Our rig is rock solid when aired down and jacks deployed. No movement whatsoever.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #8

Thanks guys. I will try and dump the bags before leaving on my next trip.

So when you have automatic leveling do you still run the front down and the sides down until they touch before using the auto leveling? Or just push the automatic function?
Old 12-06-2018, 11:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman1 View Post
Actually it's one of the best things about the Roadmaster chassis that we like. Simple to level, one less jack to worry about. A brilliant design.

Our rig is rock solid when aired down and jacks deployed. No movement whatsoever.
When I start my jacks it dumps the air first and it still is not as solid as the moho I have with 4 jacks.
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:41 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks guys. I will try and dump the bags before leaving on my next trip.

So when you have automatic leveling do you still run the front down and the sides down until they touch before using the auto leveling? Or just push the automatic function?
Some don't like the automatic leveling because it can be a bit harsh and has been accused of poping out the front windshield. I doubt that if the windshield opening is properly sized the automatic leveling system could pop it out. That said, we have been using the automatic leveling exclusively for over 11 years on our 2006 Diplomat and have never had a problem. As I stated above, we dump the air bags down to the stops and then press the auto button and let the leveling system do the rest. The only time we use the manual mode is when one of the jacks has settled down into the ground and the coach needs a little adjustment. You will notice that the automatic leveling process will put the front jack down until it slightly raises the front of the coach. The system then uses the rear jacks to level the coach side to side and raises the front to level the coach end to end. That allows the coach to twist on the front jack and keeps the twisting of the chassis to a minimum.

Bob
2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:45 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We don't feel any movement when we're leveled. We have hydraulic jacks in our coach. First I dump the air, then I use the manual level and raise the front at least a couple inches before leveling front to back and side to side.

Tags
leveling, monaco, monaco diplomat