RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #15

If the pedestal has 30 amp and 15 amp outlets and a meter; all the power flows trough the meter ; so if your paying for metered power your paying for all power drawn from all outlets . The issue comes to supply ; circuit breakers and wiring ; will using both outlets trip ( or fry ) park wiring, C/Bs .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #16

I will sometimes buy a 50 amp spot even though my rv is wired for 30 amp. That way I know I wont be tripping the breaker outside. but if i buy a 30 amp spot I have no problem using that 20 amp plug as well. Here is my reason why... There is no 20 amp spot. I don't think I have ever stayed at a campground where they offered me just 20 amps. I think the 20 amp plug is just what you get with your spot and you are just paying if you have a 30 or 50 amp spot. a campground looks at what someone could use at both 30 and 50 amp spots and charges to cover that usage. some may put a meter and charge based on usage so that would be more accurate.

If a campground didn't want you using that 20 amp plug, why would they make it accessible? why even put it in there? who is it there for if they do not have a 20 amp spot?

Old 06-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #17

Hmmm...I've never considered myself to be a thief for using the 30 and 20 amp outlets. Even after reading this thread I still don't. It's nonsense to think that.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:09 AM   #18

On the flip side of this question is, why should I have to pay for a 50 amp site, just because my coach is wired for 50 amp service, particularly when I can live on 30 amps just fine if I choose to run the water heater on propane and not electric (single air conditioner coach). I have ran into a handful of RV parks that require all 50 amp coaches to use 50 amp sites, no 30 amp dog bone reducers allowed.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
On the flip side of this question is, why should I have to pay for a 50 amp site, just because my coach is wired for 50 amp service, particularly when I can live on 30 amps just fine if I choose to run the water heater on propane and not electric (single air conditioner coach). I have ran into a handful of RV parks that require all 50 amp coaches to use 50 amp sites, no 30 amp dog bone reducers allowed.
That's because many 50 amp coaches over tax the 30 amp outlets, sucking what they can from them and burning them up.

I'v seen plenty of overheated 30 amp outlets.

You may be carefull not to over do it, but others, not so much.

That costs the CG money, getting someone in to replace them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:32 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Some places ban the connection of multiple cables to the pedestal some don't. I would assume those that ban the practice are aware of the limitations of the infrastructure used to supply power to the pedestals and are trying to protect it. The others either know it will handle it or don't care. I have done it in the summer when a 30 amp site was all that was available. The only thing I connected was the fridge in the outdoor kitchen. I completely get what twinboat is saying because if I am used to 50 and have to use 30 I will most likely be pulling 28 amps the entire time. I always pay for a 50 amp if available even if I don't think I will need it.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:33 AM   #21
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
That's because many 50 amp coaches over tax the 30 amp outlets, sucking what they can from them and burning them up.

I'v seen plenty of overheated 30 amp outlets.
I'm puzzled by your statement. A 30A outlet is rated at 30A and is protected by a 30A breaker. Nothing you do in your RV can cause it to permit more than 30A of current to flow. Yes, the outlet is likely to be used at its maximum rating but that's what ratings mean. That's what it's designed to do.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I'm puzzled by your statement. A 30A outlet is rated at 30A and is protected by a 30A breaker. Nothing you do in your RV can cause it to permit more than 30A of current to flow. Yes, the outlet is likely to be used at its maximum rating but that's what ratings mean. That's what it's designed to do.

Absolutely ! Those "burned up" outlets are the result of 1) failing to turn off the breaker before removing the cord and 2) the design of a 30a outlet that won't support the weight of a heavy cord. I'll go along with the premise that an adapter + EMS + 50a power cord is too much weight and should be supported (to maintain good electrical contact).
Old 06-12-2019, 06:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
If you are plugged into the 50 amp socket you can consume 100 amps before blowing a breaker.
Yes and no. The 50 amp breaker is actually two separate breakers connected together. If either of the circuits exceeds 50 amps it will trip both breakers.
Woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:10 AM   #24

...don't have the technical expertise to debate root causes here but my "experience" over 16 years and 180k miles of RVing is that 30 amp pedestal plugs tend to show the worst wear and tear. Suspect its related to the amount of amps modern RVs can and do draw, dirty male RV plugs, cord weight, etc. If I owned a campgrounds and had to worry about 50-100 pedestals and the associated infrastructure, I would probably consider having some "rules" to limit use and abuse....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:44 AM   #25

YOU DON'T BUY 30 AMP OR 50 AMP SITES!! You buy a site, and it comes with a power pedestal!! If it is an older park, it is likely that it only has a 30 amp receptacle. When it was built, there weren't many, if any, 50 amp (power hungry) RV's "out there". Back then, thirty amps was the standard for RV's. (Also, simply due to its age, it will suffer from wear and use. The receptacles will become loose and begin to cause arcing and pitting of your power plug, and the breakers will begin to get weaker from the sheer number of over-current operations and will start tripping at or below its rated current. When that happens, the feel of it when you switch it gets less "positive" and a bit flimsy compared to when you switch a good one.)

If it is a newer park, it will likely have both a 30 amp and a 50 amp receptacle. Use whichever one fits the pigtail on your RV. That's why they are both there. They are simply providing you choices, so your rig will be able to plug in, regardless of the power cord and plug you may have.

If you have an RV with a 50 amp cable and use a 30/50 adapter, then you are probably going to overload a 30 amp supply if you don't manage your power use. If you have an RV with a 30 amp cable, then you are probably good to go, as is.

Why is there a 20 amp receptacle on some pedestals? That is there for powering such things as water hose heater strips, power tools, rope lights, battery chargers, Christmas lights, or whatever else you or the park might want to power with 120 volts whether or not an RV is parked in the spot. It's come in handy for me, many times.

Forget about cheating!! NOBODY IS CHEATING ANYBODY!! You CAN'T cheat the park out of electrical power by anything you do at their pedestal. Just plug in whatever you have, and sleep with a clean conscience!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #26

I have to disagree with this last statement, I have stayed at many campgrounds and RV parks that have 50 amps available only at a limited number of sites. Though the majority of the 50 amp sites also have 30 amp and 20 amp outlets. I would go so far as to say that probably half the campgrounds I have been to that have 50 amp sites, don't have 50 amps to all sites.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I have to disagree with this last statement, I have stayed at many campgrounds and RV parks that have 50 amps available only at a limited number of sites. Though the majority of the 50 amp sites also have 30 amp and 20 amp outlets. I would go so far as to say that probably half the campgrounds I have been to that have 50 amp sites, don't have 50 amps to all sites.
yep when i read his post I was was going to post that I have absolutely stayed at 90% of the campgrounds ive stayed at have 50 amp sites and 30 amp sites. most 50 amp sites are wired with a 30 amp plug as well but there are a ton of 30 amp sites that dont have 50 amp plugs. This is usually older campgrounds that have upgraded their service but aren't doing it all at once. They sell a 30 amp spot and a 50 amp spot and are usually a few dollars more for a 50 amp spot. I have stayed at campgrounds that ask if you need 30 or 50 amps and park you accordingly but the cost is the same. none of the campgrounds ask if i need just 20 amps though.