Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
50 amp but only 30 amp

I have a problem with my Monico Windsor that maybe I can get some help with. When plugged into 50 Amp service I only have 30 amps in my coach. On the trace auto start it shows only 30 Amps available and also on the auto switch for power. Where it use to show 50 Amps when plugged into the proper power source it now only switches as high as 30 Amps while plugged into a 50 Amp plug in. When the generator is running the auto switch goes to Generator and is operating properly. Has anyone else had this problem any help I would appreciate.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would inspect your power cord carefully to see if you might have a burned or loose connection on one of your power legs. Sounds like your coach is only seeing one of the two legs it should have available on 50 amps.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Community Administrator

When I removed the W/D from my MH I turned off that breaker. I had the same symptoms as you until I turned that breaker back on. So, are all your breakers on ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers

Reading the power controller manual in my previous motor home, it stated it would indicate 30 amp service if the outlet was wired to only 120v. Same phase both to sides of the outlet.

You might want to check your poser controller manual.

Also, if you have a multi-meter, and you’re comfortable doing so, it’s easy enough to check

Let us know what you find..
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Thanks I will check all suggestions. Clifftall my W/D breaker is in the off position I will check that also Thanks.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
A person who owns an RV should have a $10 multi meter and have someone demonstrate how to use it. Then we would not get as many of these types of posts which occur lots of times.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Actually I do have a very good meter and I do know how to use it !! I have checked everything that can be checked and have came up empty handed. I'm afraid that it has something to do with the energy management system and is not detecting the fact that I'm hooked up to a 50 AMP power supply. I posted this because I have checked everything else and was looking to someone that may have had the same problem. Being critical is not helping at all. I find that most on this site wants to help and all are good folks that have had similar problems and do help each other. If you think my problem is a waste of your time Tugboat then just pass it over and hopefully I will get the answer that I need. Thanks to others for you help and suggestions. Maybe just turning on the W/D breaker will solve my problem I hope so.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hope it's not a silly question, but, have you experienced this in more than one 50A location? Campground power can be questionable.
Kiwipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwipop
Hope it's not a silly question, but, have you experienced this in more than one 50A location? Campground power can be questionable.
This is a good question. If only one shore power location, have you put your meter on the L1& L2 legs at the pedestal & confirmed 240vac. If yes, then pull the cover off your transfer switch & check for 240vac on the coach input side of the main contactors. If good there then check at the input side of the Intellitec EMS. If also ok then you know the problem is in the EMS itself. My understanding is the EMS looks for 240 between L1 & L2 and if not present then assumes 30 amp power.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Are you camping in a new place? Have you checked to make sure that you really do have power on both hot legs of your 50AMP power plug? You should read approx. 115VAC to neutral and ground and approx. 220VAC between the phases.
JTBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to bridluz
thx for your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkng88 View Post
Actually I do have a very good meter and I do know how to use it !! I have checked everything that can be checked and have came up empty handed. I'm afraid that it has something to do with the energy management system and is not detecting the fact that I'm hooked up to a 50 AMP power supply. I posted this because I have checked everything else and was looking to someone that may have had the same problem. Being critical is not helping at all. I find that most on this site wants to help and all are good folks that have had similar problems and do help each other. If you think my problem is a waste of your time Tugboat then just pass it over and hopefully I will get the answer that I need. Thanks to others for you help and suggestions. Maybe just turning on the W/D breaker will solve my problem I hope so.
I do thank you for your post as I just returned from a trip and plugged the unit it and now I'm only showing 30 amps as well. So I'm not sure if it is the source or if my next trip will also display 30amps. I am tempted to just wait until my trip next month to confirm but then again at 30amps what might I not be able to use electronically while on that trip if I am stuck with 30 amps.
bridluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #12

I had a similar problem with my 2011 Knight. It would only show 30 amps. As it turned out, the PCS display needed to be re-booted. Removed the screws from the front of the display, unplugged the "telephone like" plug in the back, left if out for about 1 minute, plugged it back in and all worked.

This has happened twice, and above proceedure solved the problem. Kind of like having to reboot your computer. Hope this helpsl.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Update

Clifftall you win the prize !! I want to thank each of you for all your help and answers this is a great forum. We bought our Monico last year in January and have managed to travel about 10000 miles this year. I built a pole barn for my present motor home because the Georgia heat and sun destroyed the outside of my Journey that I bought new in 2000. About a month ago I wired my barn installed lights plug inns and put in 30 AMPS for the motor home for the needs here at home so it makes it a little tough to check the system without 50 AMPS to the motor home. In Florida this last week I noticed two things plugged into a 50 AMP service the EMS would not supply 50 AMPS only 30 AMPS . I checked the power at the meter and it was wire right and checked out I own my lot in Florida and when I had the power turned on the electric co supplied a surge protector and made sure power was correct so I was pretty confident that it was correct. The other problem the Hot Water heater was not working when switched to electric never knew that because we always used propane. I also found a package of parts that go along with the EMS that came with the motor home which tells me the previous owner was putting parts on trying to solve the same problem. Ok I'll get to the end soon ! I went out tonight to check with my Fluke Meter yes I have one and there is no power to the hot water element I was getting ready to pull the element and replace but it checked good. Clifftall said he had the same problem and it was when he removed his W/D and turned off the breaker. My Motor home never had a W/D but it did have a breaker for one if installed. I knew this breaker was always off so I went in a turned to the on position and guess what power to the side that operates the hot water element. The poor guy that had this motor home before me probably had the same problems due to the parts that were replaced. I did not know until today what the parts were for I just knew they were in the motor home when I bought it. I do think my problem is now fixed but will not be 100 % sure until I find a 50 AMP hookup. Thanks to all and thanks to Clifftall this has been a interesting event and I'm very happy with the results. Sorry this was so long.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Thanks for the uuuuuuupdate .

Glad it's working as designed.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote