Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Use an extension cord with 12 AWG or 10 AWG. Most extension cords for the yard are 14 AWG and are not really suitable for this type operation. The higher the number the smaller the overall wire diameter.
I would say most are actually 16 gauge..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2011, 01:04 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
50 amp to 50 amp adapter

50 amp to 50 amp pigtail. Sounds like I'm crazy doesn't it????? Here's the problem I've run into more than once. Some rv parks place the shore power boxes too close to the ground and I cannot hook up while using my surge protector; the box must be high enough off of the ground for the portable surge protector to clear the ground. I've asked as several rv stores and they all tell me they have 30 to 50 or 30 to 15 adapters but noone has a 50 to 50!! I can make my own but that is expensive since I have to buy the male and female plugs plus a couple feet of cord and that can reach $100 real easy. Does anyone know where I can find one?? Do I still sound like I am crazy???
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
HOWEVER, do be aware that by code, any outdoor outlet has to be GFCI protected (Unless grandfathered that is) and many RV's do not get along well with GFCI's due to the presence of both 12 and 120 volt systems.
That may be true, but if the RV doesn't play well when plugged into a GFCI outlet, then the odds are that there really is a problem somewhere in the RV wiring. My rig is routinely plugged into a GFCI outlet (using a 50/30 amp adapter and a 30/20 amp adapter) and I have no issues. It doesn't like it when I start or stop the generator while plugged in (the auto transfer switch must cause some sort of temporary imbalance while it flips) but other than that the GFCI that I plug into has only tripped twice: once when I plugged a GFCI tester into the fridge outlet to see if it was protected (it wasn't, the tester tripped the GFCI in the garage) and the other time was when it was raining (which was probably a valid fault condition because something got wet.)

If you plug an RV into a GFCI and it trips, investigate why, don't just dismiss it as a routine occurrence. Routine nuisance tripping is not normal. The GFCI is there to protect you and if it trips it's trying to tell you something -- listen to it and find the problem.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #18

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Along with all that has been said here you need to consider the year your home was built almost all new homes are being built under new electrical standards and have ARC Flash breakers as well as GFCI breakers. These Arc flash tend to trip faster and at lower voltage.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroadaway View Post
50 amp to 50 amp pigtail. Sounds like I'm crazy doesn't it????? Here's the problem I've run into more than once. Some rv parks place the shore power boxes too close to the ground and I cannot hook up while using my surge protector; the box must be high enough off of the ground for the portable surge protector to clear the ground. I've asked as several rv stores and they all tell me they have 30 to 50 or 30 to 15 adapters but noone has a 50 to 50!! I can make my own but that is expensive since I have to buy the male and female plugs plus a couple feet of cord and that can reach $100 real easy. Does anyone know where I can find one?? Do I still sound like I am crazy???
I just purchased a 50 AMP extension cord for situations like you are talking about. I've had to use it a few times when the camp plug was too far from the coach (had to find a level spot) or when I parked with the camp pedestal on the other side of the RV to socialize with friends in their RV.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
I just purchased a 50 AMP extension cord for situations like you are talking about. I've had to use it a few times when the camp plug was too far from the coach (had to find a level spot) or when I parked with the camp pedestal on the other side of the RV to socialize with friends in their RV.

Jon
Where did you get it and about how much did it cost? Thanks
97windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #21

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
If you plug an RV into a GFCI and it trips, investigate why, don't just dismiss it as a routine occurrence. Routine nuisance tripping is not normal. The GFCI is there to protect you and if it trips it's trying to tell you something -- listen to it and find the problem.
This is very important. My last unit did this and the dealer dismissed it as a normal "imbalance" caused by necking the power down to 15 amps. I felt at the time that they had no idea what they were talking about or that they couldn't be bothered to fully check out the electrical system. After going through 3 transfer switches, burning a 50 amp pedestal and lots of worries, I found out that the Magnum inverter/charger was shorted out from the factory and was actually feeding 117 volts to the neutral circuit. Magnum stepped up quickly and replaced the inverter but do not ignore a GFCI warning. Good advice from ShapeShifter.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On my electric panel display, I can adjust it to tell the converter what the incoming amps are. I can go 50- 30 20 15. The book says it will adjust how much goes into battery charging so as to not overload the system.
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #23

It really doesn't cost much to have a 30 or 50 amp circuit added then you can run what you want when you need to. I tried running my mh on a 15 amp circuit (several different ones) and like others said depends on what else is on the same circuit. I also ran into a situation where the previous homeowner did some of his own wiring (not to code) and ended up melting wires, outlet box, etc. I would think adding a line would be a easy call.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #24

I have a 2004 Cayman (new trailing arms fitted etc.) In the UK the generally you will get is a 16 amp hook up sometimes and sometimes you will only get 5 amps.
This will of course be at 240v but even with 5 amps @ 240 v we can use the microwave the fridge lighting & the furnace, we are alos able to use a low amperage kettle too.
Air con will trip the breaker and even at 16amp one has to tread a little carefully with power consumption if you want to run the air con.

There may be electrical differences with using an RV in the UK but running a 240v system with converters to 120v and 12v for certain appliances is still ok even at the lower 5amp supply.

Hope that is of interest

Kind regards

Arthur UK
Arthur UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #25

iRV2 No Limits Club
Why not install a 50A circuit breaker and plug? If you do not have room in your current panel a separate panel running from your mains should be possible.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97windsor View Post
Where did you get it and about how much did it cost? Thanks
I purchased it from Camping World back in 06 so I'm sure the price is more now. You can probably shop around and find them cheaper.

Extra-Heavy Duty 50-Amp 6/3 + 8/1 STW Cord with Handle - Product - Camping World

Just did a quick search on Google and found this: Amazon.com: 50 amp rv extension cord

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
Why not install a 50A circuit breaker and plug? If you do not have room in your current panel a separate panel running from your mains should be possible.
Just not possible or practical sometimes...
When we built our house 10 years ago, we put in a 200 amp service, a 40 breaker main panel and a 20 breaker 100 amp subpanel.
And then it started filling up... Electric double oven. Electric dryer. lots and lots of breakers and circuits. Whirlpool tubs. separate breakers for every bedroom. 3 or is it 4 small appliance required by law in the kitchen. Etc.
And then the straw that broke the camels back... inground pool and hot tub, each with it's own 50 amp 240 volt gfi protected circuit
At the time, I thought a pair of 20 amp lines to my garage would be sufficient. That was before I bought a mig welder, and before I decided I really wanted a bigger air compressor. So I'm stuck with 2 20 amp 115v circuits
Niether RV has ever complained though. I haven't tried running both A/C's in the monaco, the EMS in the ole pace arrow handled that fine on 20 amps so we'll see.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #28

Hey Jim..Sounds alot like my place ..except the pool..up here we have backyard skating rinks..LOL Beginning to like winters less and less