RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #1

50 amp service hassels.

We took our..... new to us.... coach out this long week-end for it's shake down run..We went to a provincial park that has only 30 amp service. My problems were..

1. We have a DUO-THERM thermostat with the 2 zone settings. Zone 1 is the front of the coach, zone 2 the bedroom. When I put the ac on in zone 1 everything worked fine..but when I switched to zone 2, I blew the 15 amp fuses. So I threw the 20 amp breaker in my breaker panel and the ac worked fine in that zone. If I wanted the zone 2, I would have to throw the breaker to the one I was not using. Should I not be able to change ac zones without throwing one of the breakers or is this because of the 30 amp service. My theromstat will allow to switch but it didn't work..

2. When I put our hot water heater on 120 volt service. it blew the fuses as well. We had to run it on propane.

Is this normal for 30 amp service and if it is I just don't get the reasoning of the above. If I used... as an example .. ( 60 amp service instead of a 50 amp service) and blew fuses I would expect that because of more power than my coach could handle.

I DON'T GET IT.. can someone please set me straight on this?? Otherwise our trip was very good and we are very happy with our coach except for the above..

Thx

Frustrated.. Ted

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #2

You can't run two Duo's on 30 amps.

Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It's easy to use more than 30 amps; AC, fridge, water heater, appliances, battery charger, etc.

Remember that 50 amp service is 50 amps on each leg for a total of 100 amps. It's almost impossible to use 100 amps in a RV.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #4

I am not familiar with your unit but it should have some sort of energy management system that will "shed" when using 2 AC's. But there is no way you can run a whole bunch of 110 items on 30 amps. Remember 30 amps is enough to run 2 circuits. Switch your water heater back to propane. When you say 15 amp fuses I assume you mean circuit breakers. There are no fuses in the AC circuit of a MH nor in the service post in the CG. As an aside units that were built for Canada often have 15 amp circuits where as the American units use 20 amp circuits, Different codes. But I think that an AC can have 20 amp circuit breakers as it is direct wired. Outlets in Canada are not rated for more than 15 amps. The battery charger alone can use almost 15 amps. That only leaves 15 for the rest of the coach. There are cheater cords available but their usage is limited. You must have 2 different circuits on the pedestal and no GFCI's .
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
50 amp is two circuits of 50 amps, or 100 mps. 30 amps is just that, 30. So, there is more than three times the power with a 50 amp circuit. You cannot run much when limited to 30 amps.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want to look into one of these if you are going to be staying in campgrounds with only 30 AMP hookups.

Worldwide Merchandise Company - 50-Amp RV Box Adapter - Electrical Adapters - Camping World

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tedde.....Your management system should have shut down some items and limited you. Just for your own knowledge, take a look at your hallway control panel and turn on an AC unit. Watch how many amps it shows when it starts up (should be about 15-17). Turn it off and then switch on the electric water heater, it should add about 9 amps. Your refer adds about 4, your battery charger can add another 6 or more. Once you realize what everything uses, you can better manage your own power when on 30 amp.

When its cold, we run an electric heater and I leave the electric water heater on in the morning. When we're on 30 amp, my wife knows to ask if she can use her hair dryer before she turns it on. I'll usually shut down the water heater or electric heater while she does her hair.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #8

Thanks for the info, but I was NOT trying to run 2 ac's at once. I would switch zones on my thermostat and the back one would not cut in. I believe the front one would be shuitting down and the rear one starts. Just be selecting the zone on the thermostat. Now that I think of it possibly the front one was not finished cycling yet and the rear one would not start because of the lack of power.
I do have some auto style fuses as well as circuit breakers.I have a complete panel with auto style fuses that are labeled for different items. This fuse number 13 said for front and back air conditioners. .. My breaker did not trip but the fuse that says air conditioner sure burnt out. Is it possible that with the lack of 50 amp service it would not switch on its own? But throwing the breaker of the ac I don't want to use then the other one would start no problem. It would not switch through the thermostat. I was drawing 27 amps with the ac running and a few otherlights as well. But it would not switch.

I am baffled by this. I don't have a 50 amp service to try it again. We are coming to California this summer and I would like to get it fixed..I don't want to keep turning off breakers so the other ac will work..It should switch through the thermostat..shouldn't it??
Old 05-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #9

Just more info on my ac problem..I had the same problem with changing zones on my furnace as well. I could get it to run on the front zone 1.. but the back zone 2.. never did switch or start.

Can I possibly have a faulty thermostat controler. I did not try to run both at the same time. I also have a 15 amp (blue) auto style that says furnace. It did not blow. I never did get heat to the rear and bathroom of our coach. My DW complained about a cold toilet seat so I have to find a solution..remember...HAPPY WIFE..HAPPY LIFE..

Hope this extra info helps.. I was runnimng my fridge and a few lights that is al. My water heater was on propane.I run 12 amps with out adding anything besides the lights/tv. I try and add furnaces as well as ac's and my problem starts. One at a time no problem it just won't switch zones..

Ted
Old 05-24-2011, 05:53 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When you say you were "switching between zones", were you using the Mode button to put one zone in "Off", not using the Zone button to go to the other zone?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Since your furnaces have nothing to do with 110VAC then I'd suspect the Duo-Therm Thermostat or the EMS that is controlled by the thermostat.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #12

When I go into the MODE button the 2 zones appear at the bottom of the thermostat. . By pushing the zone button it is supposes to go to that zone. When zone 1 flashes it goes to zone 1 when zone 2 flashes it goes to zone 2...But nothing happens except a blowen fuse..
Old 05-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDE View Post
I do have some auto style fuses as well as circuit breakers.I have a complete panel with auto style fuses that are labeled for different items. This fuse number 13 said for front and back air conditioners. .. My breaker did not trip but the fuse that says air conditioner sure burnt out.
The automotive-style fuses are for the 12 volt DC power distribution system - primarily lights, furnace, refrigerator controls, water pump, thermostat power (for furnace operation). The breakers in your power distribution panel (breaker box) are for the 120 volt AC power distribution system - water heater element, fridge AC heating element power, AC compressor/fan motors, 120VAC/12VDC power converter, outlets, TVs, etc.

If you're blowing a fuse on the 12 VDC side when you flip to AC on Zone 2, I suspect a problem in the thermostat, wiring or control board of the Zone 2 AC.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
for display purposes only

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDE View Post
When I go into the MODE button the 2 zones appear at the bottom of the thermostat. . By pushing the zone button it is supposes to go to that zone. When zone 1 flashes it goes to zone 1 when zone 2 flashes it goes to zone 2...But nothing happens except a blowen fuse..
"it goes to zone ..." only means that the display is showing you what the zone is set for.

When you switch zones on the display, and if you have both zone1 AC and zone2 AC set to some temperature, BOTH AC units will try to run and cool to the temp that you have set for that zone. On 30 amp that's not going to work.

You need to either set zone1 AC or zone2 AC to OFF.

KSDP_PA is offline   Reply With Quote