RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
We have 4200 miles on the Cayman (ISB engine) and are trying to decide when to get the 5000 mile trans filter changed (and whatever else is involved). We are at Guaranty RV for a few days and they can do it. We have a pre-scheduled appointment with Monaco next week and could have them do it. Or we could continue on our way for the summer and possibly not be somewhere to get it done until the 6500 mile mark in October.

I had posted a previous question about the ride height inspection & adjustment being covered under warranty (or not). Could the ride height inspection/adjustment be accomplished at the same someone does the 5000 miles service?

Sorry if I seem to be thinking 'out loud', but I am!

GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We have 4200 miles on the Cayman (ISB engine) and are trying to decide when to get the 5000 mile trans filter changed (and whatever else is involved). We are at Guaranty RV for a few days and they can do it. We have a pre-scheduled appointment with Monaco next week and could have them do it. Or we could continue on our way for the summer and possibly not be somewhere to get it done until the 6500 mile mark in October.

I had posted a previous question about the ride height inspection & adjustment being covered under warranty (or not). Could the ride height inspection/adjustment be accomplished at the same someone does the 5000 miles service?

Sorry if I seem to be thinking 'out loud', but I am!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'm almost at the 5K mark as well and I know that you need to get the Chassis lubed or at least the drive shaft. Not sure about anything else right now.

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Up N Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have been doing the 5k service myself, but had Monaco do the transmission service. Last oil change I had Rocky Mountain Cummins do while I was there for a fuel tank repair. Much cheaper than the Monaco oil change.

The 5k chassis lube is not too difficult. If I can do it.... I have some pictures of the lube points here - http://www.chillaxnet.com/gallery2/m...ech/?g2_page=7 I aired up the coach, then extended the jacks a bit more. I saw Monaco do this when they did the service, so I felt pretty confident in doing it. Save me the safety speeches

When I was last at Monaco, I had them check the ride height because the driver side looked a bit lower then the passenger side. They adjusted the height under warranty. It may be a different person that does the height adjustment than the chassis service work. I found out at the Monaco center that they put the "newer" techs on the oil change/lube jobs, and the more experienced techs are used for other things. Should be no reason they can't do the same under the same appointment.

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At the FMCA Convention in Pomona, I spoke with the Allison folks about the 5000 mile filter change. They told me it was better to change it early rather than late. I had mine serviced in El Paso at 4700 miles. FYI it cost me $108.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #6

We had our 5000 mile service done at the Cummings NW across from the factory in Coburg. They did a great job and they also double check stuff with the computer hookup before you leave. We had the wrong Serial number recorded by Monaco for our engine, so they took care of that before we left. We also were able to stay overnight with hook-ups in their lot. We just arranged the visit around the factory service center visit.

Whippetmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We had the '07 La Palma serviced at 5k by Williams Detroit Diesel in Phoenix last year and it cost around $100, give or take. We also had alignment adjustments (and other stuff) so the combined bill was a little over $300 I believe. The paperwork went with the traded in La Palma so not sure.

I'll give Cummins NW a call and see what they charge and if they have availability next week. Monaco offers an Engine Preventative Maintenance which includes oil chg, lube, multi filter replacement, and INSPECITION of air filter, drive belts, engine hoses, air dryer operation, engine compartment fluid levels, tire pressure, horn, universal joints, differential fluid level, windshield wiper operation for $500. Not sure what Guaranty RV wants to charge. Looking first for competence, then price. <span class="ev_code_RED">(Right AKBrick?)</span>
Old 04-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #8

Monaco issued a tech addendum for the 5000 mile filter change. It states this isn't necessary after a certain serial number starting with the 07 tranny's. You can find it by going to the monaco site, click on service then click on technical addendum's and look for Allison Transmission under 2007. I had already changed mine before I came upon this article. Hope this helps.
Montana Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SacsTC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Monaco issued a tech addendum for the 5000 mile filter change. It states this isn't necessary after a certain serial number starting with the 07 tranny's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This does not pertain to the 2500 series transmissions that are in the Caymans. Valid for the 3000 and 4000 series transmissions only. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>...And you still need to lube the U joint.
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Right Mick,
Beaudry drilled me a new one for over $400.00 for the tranny filter change out which I had to come back and have them fill the tranny after some problems caused by them. Read about it in my icemaker hose leak thread. I just couldn't bring myself to write anymore about it in a new thread. Quite frankly, that one flat wore me out.

AKBrick
Old 04-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
...And you still need to lube the U joint.

GOOD point and advise. 2500 miles is an even better interval for the U joints and slip spline.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Beaudry drilled me a new one for over $400.00 for the tranny filter change </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's horrible. It probably took them 30 minutes labor and less than $50 in parts (retail). I'm sure all of us have a similar horry story about service. I know I do.
mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Okayyy....
Here's the breakdown:
Allison Tall Filter Part #29545779........$90.57
Synthetic Transynd Trans Fluid 1gal.......$58.27
Labor @ 115.00 for 2.2hrs................$253.00
Environmental Fees.........................$1.00
Shop Supplies External....................$12.65
Tax.......................................$12.59
For a Grand Total of.....................$428.08

So, there ya go. The "initial transmission filter changeout" by Beaudry RV.........Frustration afterwards....priceless.

Tom
Old 04-22-2008, 03:28 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
No wonder you are P.O., and from what I have read Allison does not require the filter change at 5K on your transmission.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AKBrick:
Okayyy....
Here's the breakdown:
Allison Tall Filter Part #29545779........$90.57
Synthetic Transynd Trans Fluid 1gal.......$58.27
Labor @ 115.00 for 2.2hrs................$253.00
Environmental Fees.........................$1.00
Shop Supplies External....................$12.65
Tax.......................................$12.59
For a Grand Total of.....................$428.08

So, there ya go. The "initial transmission filter changeout" by Beaudry RV.........Frustration afterwards....priceless.

Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nodine is offline   Reply With Quote