Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
92-93 Executive?

I have been looking at various Monaco models and would appreciate guidance on the merits of buying a Monaco Executive of 92-93 vintage.

Paul

pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That is right at the time that Allison was switching from a 4 speed to a 6 speed transmission. YOU DO NOT WANT A 4 SPEED TRANSMISSION.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
What is the issue with the 4-speed?

Drivability, economy, reliability, or something else?

Paul
Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, to all. The MH will have a problem climbing steep grades. The engine will be too high of an rpm at cruise. They had a problem with the lockup converters failing. The jump to the six speed was a major change and upgrade for Allison. That 4 speed was a model MT643 and the 6 speed is a model 3000 or a 4000 depending on which engine.

The early Cummins motors where a 12 valve B5.9 liter with no computer which is not a bad thing. They came in a 230 hp and 250 hp. Not the most powerful motor but the MHs were lighter back then. My previous MH which was 36' with a 6 speed Allison and a B5.9 motor weighing in at 22,000 lbs would get 10.6 mpg when towing the Jeep. Without the Jeep I could get just over 11 mpg. I wish my new MH got that type of mileage. The B5.9 Cummins motor had problems with the exhaust valve seats cracking at high mileage also which is fixable. It occured on mine at 124,000 miles. They also had a problem with leaking head gaskets that allowed anti-freeze to drip down the outside of the motor from between the head and the block right behind the alternator. This is also fixable and Cummins improved the head gasket and changed the head bolt torque procedure.

The other thing is slideouts. You really need them because they make a lot of difference to the interior size. A MH without slideouts is hard to sell if you want to move up.

It is a great time to buy a MH because they are selling below wholesale. A lot of great buys are out there.

The Executive back in the 90's was a great MH but if it was me I would find one a little later in years. The owner of the RV dealership here, John Bleakley, told me not to go cheap on the first MH because you will decide right away that you want a bigger and better one. It is cheaper to buy the bigger and better one to start with and he was correct.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you are in Georgia too!

Thanks for the info.

Paul
Old 05-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I live in Marietta, GA. I see that you are in Alpharetta.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
This will be my 3rd MH.

An ex girlfriend bought an old Pace Arrow that I worked on. Couldn't get that one sold fast enough, but broke even.

I currently own an 82 Airstream 31' MH. We have enjoyed using it for the last 3 years and my current girlfriend and I are ready to move up.

Paul
Old 05-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
To be clear, the move up is on the MH. The current girlfriend is already a great upgrade over previous models and I expect a very long service life from her.

Of course even a 92-93 Executive is a big step up for us, but I will heed your advice on the Allison 4-speed.

Paul
Old 05-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #9

I got a good deal (I think) ($20,000) for a 40' Monaco Executive (80,000 mi) about 18 months ago. Cummins 8.3C 300 with allison 6 speed. My wife and I intentionally opted for no slide. It has a wide body, we travel a lot a didn't care for the seemly boxed in feeling when slides are retracted. Have been getting any where from 8 to 10 mpg (some time tow 7X18 trailer with 2 full dressed Harley's and Golf car) Pro"s:holds 200 gallons of fuel and 100 gallons of water, we can dry dock for a week with no problem at all. Cons: Kubota/Kohler generator does a good job, but is too loud for me. My last trip back home (50 mi out, but limped it home) from bike week was a bit costly ($6.500). Transmission cooler blew out allowing tranny fluid to go in the radiator which in turn allowed coolant to flow back in to the tranny, (looked like strawberry milkshake when tranny was drained 2 weeks later. Wasn't worth the chance of trying to get by with just a flush at that point. Found a company in Arlington TX (ATS) They rebuilt one of their cores to my spects, shipped it to my repair shop and arranged for my core to be sent back to them for $3,500. With freshly cleaned radiator, new cooler and rebuilt transmission going to head to Las Vegas. PS not to gamble.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Are there any early warning signs or preventative maintenance that would one avoid or shut down jn time to avoid such costly repairs?

Paul
Old 05-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #11

None that I am aware of or have been told about. My wife was driving at the time and 1st warning she got was tranny downed shifted to 5th gear and a "don't shift" caution light. We stopped, (it was 2am) I checked back of coach there was oil all over the back, checked tranny dip stick, no reading, thought I has a leaking or busted tranny line, drove to Walmart (next exit) put in about 3 gal fluid and continued on at about 35 to 45 mph (still wouldn't shift), had to add more fluid, but made it to repair shop near my home. Wasn't pressed for the coach so it sat for a while before they got to it. Tranny damage was caused by chemical in the coolant that eats at clutches or the glue that is used on them. Oil on the back was a result of tranny fluid being forced in the coolant system and out the over flow tank drain hose. There's the possibility tranny could have been saved if it had been drained and flushed right away.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #12

Owning any older MH is not for everyone. If you are not mechanical it can be an expensive learning experience/ MH owners tend to ignore maintenance ( but of course not we Monaco owners). It is not unusual to spend $10,000 immediately after buying an older unit. If the maintenace is not up to date the following may be required( new batteries, tires,belts,hoses,coolant, change all filters and fluids, shocks, alignment) That is just the chassis! These units cannot be serviced at your nearest Wal Mart or Pep Boys. Sometimes one can get lucky and buy one that has all the service records and these items have been maintained. You did not state the price or what price range would work. Is length important? I happen to know of a nice Foretravel that is for sale. I have not actually seen this unit nor do I even know the owner but these are fine units. I would not be surprised if it could be had for closer to $55,000. 450 HP Cummins and a 6 speed Allison

Price Reduced! Foretravel 1997 36' U320 450hp Cummins - $69,900 (Paradise)

Condition: Excellent
Located in Paradise, CA
Call: 530-877-6931

This coach is in excellent condition. Non-smoking and no pets. See the spec sheet and floor plan at:
http://beamalarm.com...and-manuals.htm

1997 new price was over $360,000

Features:
1997 Foretravel U320, 36 feet, 90,255 miles,
The U320 was the top of the line for Foretravel for many years and includes the Cummins M11 engine 450 hp
Allison 6 speed transmission with joy stick retarder,

Bose Home Theater surround sound system
Air ride (8 air bags) and automatic air leveling
Automatic HD Dishnetwork dish with auto lock-on
4-wheel disk brakes with ABS
Huge pull out tray (Joey Bed) in the main storage bay, full pass through with lots of storage space.
AquaHot Hydronic heating system (diesel) used for ducted heat and hot water (no hot water tank to mess with).
10,000 watt Isuzu diesel generator with an Auto-start and stop for when the batteries need charging.
The house batteries are 3 8D AGM and 3 Interstate starting batteries with Ultra TRIK-L-START 5 Amp Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer.
3 - Kyrocera 130 watt solar panels with smart controller which produces over 20 amps easily, installed January 2010. Excellent for boon-docking.
Blue Sky Solar Boost Controller and it is able to handle two more solar panels if so desired.
Freedom 25 Heart Interface 2500 watt inverter/charger.

Built-in Safe.

In the summer of 2009 we spent over $20,000 on remodeling, custom paint, and maintenance at the factory in Texas.
Also had a DishNetwork HD Dish installed on the roof. It has a very fast automatic lock-on.
New Sony dash stereo radio and a new 10 CD Changer with 2-10 CD cartridges.
Custom rock guard application painted on the front (done just after the paint job).
Also 2009 while at the factory we had everything serviced and repaired that needed to be.
Cabinet remodeling done to install center front 32" LCD TV and rear 19" LCD TV with extra compartment behind it (hidden).

194 gal. diesel tank
102 gal fresh water tank
110 gal grey water tank
54 gal black water tank
17.6 gal. propane.

Ducted cooling and heat strips from 2 roof AC's.
In the custom remodel we had the ductwork extended forward closer to the driver and passenger seats.
Electric remote Door and Bay locks with key fobs.
Central Vacuum.
Electric 50 amp Shore Power Cord Reel
Spring return reel for water hose.
Alcoa Aluminum RV rims
Automatic Air Leveling System.
( Mexico Unit)
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I am good with my own maintenance and doing it now on an '82 Airstream 30' MH.

The Foretravel looks like a great coach. Nice amount of recent work on it. Thanks for the info.

That would be a little outside our price range and I am trying to limit my search area to 1000 miles from Atlanta.

Step 1 is to sell the Airstream, but it is now ready to go! We'll be listing it shortly.

Paul
Old 08-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,

What about the Allison 647 with an Eaton 2 speed rear differential?

It is in a 1990 Signature which is in my price range (<$30K)

Run away, or entertain the idea?

Paul