Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #1

93-96 H.R. Navigator HID headlight upgrade

Hey Navigstor owners, Every since I purchased my 93 navigator I have been bothered by the 3 huge rectangle lights in front, just looks bad to me, always has and I have finally decided to do something about it.

Inspired by another member who put newer style light in his rig, I have decided it was now time to tackle my issues with the front lights. This will be done on a very tight budget as well. I will be documenting my use of 90mm xenon HID projectors, bought from an aquaintance, 90 mm halogen high beams, new turn signals and finally relocated 90mm or possibly 120mm fog lights.

My plan is to do as little as possible to cut any existing body panels to make this a DIY project that others can do. I "plan" on testing the waters to see if any one with the 93-96 navi's is interested in a kit form to be offered later. I will start posting pics in the next few days of the progress, thus far I have only disassembled the front end and will start the new layout tomorrow.
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #2

Hey does anyone have a wiring diagram of the headlights for a navigator?

I was testing the wires yesterday and figured it would be an easy thing to wire up. There are 3 wires one green, red & black. You would think black is ground. With lights on low beam the green wire has power when grounded to the black wire, with high beams on neither wire red or green shows power when tested with the black wire, however if you test both red and green together you get power??? What the heck? Does this sound right??

Also should have the mould made for the headlight bezels this week at least the first part.

need lights in elk grove

RUNDLC
Old 10-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #3

OK!! From the wiring side of things I have learned you just can't replace a halogen headlight and use the stock wiring for the xenons, there needs to be some kind of harness made (store bought or you make) I have located a source for the harness and hope to have them shipped out to me by next week.

Here is a pic of the oem xenon headlight and ballast. I probably could have saved myself $75.00-85.00 by using halogen projectors and high beams, then I could have used (pretty sure) the stock wiring, BUT NOOOOOO, I want xenon headlights cause they looked so nice on that $800,000 prevost I saw!!

Next time if there is a next time think I'll stick with the halogen, on the bright side I only spent 100.00 for the xenon.....

Old 10-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #4

Ok guys with the Nav's

Need some advice on fog light placement, size & shape. Let's see what ideas are out there. My plan was to use the 90MM round so that the shapes would be consistent. I was thinking of putting these in the bumper where the rectangle turn signals used to be, but don't want to do body work there. My choice as I see it is sand the old turn signals and paint them to match or install some mesh screen vent and use kinda like a brake duct vent. Options???

Here is my very crude "paint" of what the xenon/high beams and turn sigs will look like, I used the idea from the prevost and 2006 navigator.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #5

None of my business but AFAIK only OEM HIDs are legal. Perhaps a LEO will post to confirm as fact or prove this to be incorrect.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #6

Thanks

Don, I believe these HID's were pulled from a factory oem. During my research did run across quite a few sites stating not to use after market hids.
I did contact Monaco and Provost to see which lights they used.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #7

Update:

I received the wiring harness yesterday, got it wired up and she works!! I wanted the HID's & low beams to be on at the same time, but I guess maybe they are supposed to go off when you turn the high beams on. I will want the fogs on when either the HID's or high beams are on.

I also got the first part of the two piece headlight bezel back and am not real happy with it. I am going to have to redo it, maybe I will try and carve it out of foam and then glass it. These bezels are gonna be a little more difficult than I wanted them to be but I suppose doing these kinds of upgrades don't always go as planned.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:56 AM   #8

That is stellar! Added on the list of things to do.
jaytho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #9

Well here's a little update to this project. As I said before they never go as planned, I wasn't happy with the first attempt at the openings for the lights. I had a buddy make some fiberglass bowls to replace what was going to be cut out. That went pretty well, I finished setting them up so that the offest or direction if you will would match the old rectangle lights. They still need to be sanded smooth but will require a little more prep first.

I also fabbed up some mounting brackets to secure the headlight too, it took about 1.5 hours per side, I then cleaned and painted them with some paint left over from our last motorhome remodel.

We still need to apply the pop-out portion to finish these off then I can get down to actually mounting the lights and finish this darn project!

Old 11-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #10

Ok the light openings are now cut out, I also started mocking up the arched part of bezel. I hope to have the drivers side mocked up on Saturday, if all goes well we will do the final glassing and then on to setting up the lighting. Once that is complete we will finish the body work on the bezels and hopefully get them in primer.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #11

Update:

Both sides mocked up now. Initially my idea was to mount both high beams & low beams to the mounting plates but ended up attaching the high beams to the actual bezel. The HID's are too heavy and bulky.

I "thought" just use epoxy to attach some all thread to hold the hella's but it would not hold so I ended up having to fiberglass over the epoxy they should hold now for sure.

I mounted the turn signals and today we will finish the popped out part today.

Ok don't make fun of my glassing skills I am pretty new to it!

The "old" turn signal bugs me! Do I do fogs, DRL or Screen vent??
Need some ideas form you Navi owners.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:29 AM   #12

Both of these are now ready for final sanding it took about two full days to get the basic body work stuff done. I am not a body work guy so I am going to do as much as I can and then give them to a professional body shop to get them ready to paint.

I must say I am leery about letting them out of my sight! Boy if something happened to them I would be sunk!

Anyway we are almost there.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #13

I find this thread really interesting.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #14

Thanks Topdown, Well I guess that is meant as a compliment. I am always doing stuff like this or at least thinking about it.