Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #1

'94 30' Monaco Dynasty Purchase Help

We're getting ready to make an 1100 mile, 17 hour trip to look at/purchase a '94 30' Monaco Dynasty. Is there anything specific I should look for in evaluating the MH, or that I should be aware of?

The MH appears to have everything we have been looking for, except the air over hydraulic brakes which I would rather not have.

Thanks for your help.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2018, 08:15 AM   #2

Steve,
I am no expert on my own coach let alone this one but since no one is chiming in here you go.

Full inspection and demonstration of EVERY system, tires, batteries, AC, Generator Oil samples. Check for soft walls inside and loose skin on the outside.
Some early 90s monaco's had soft chassis bushings causing poor handling. This is a big job to correct from what I have read on IRV2.
Spend MANY hrs inspecting and driving. Get under it. Get on top of it.
Drive it for 100 miles at least! That is a SHORT WB coach if 30' is correct.
Also at that age I would think it is time for all new hoses/rubber lines if this has not been done.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #3

Dix39, could you give us a little more info?

Engine?
Miles?
Hours on generator?
Transmission?

I've never heard of a 30 ft. Dynasty but I certainly can be wrong.
We owned a 42ft. '08 Dynasty and I know that is quite a bit different in age but in '08, 39 ft. was the shortest (had a tag axle).

Date codes on tires would be paramount.

Good luck and chime back with your results.

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you for your input.

Engine is 5.9 Cummins, I believe 230 HP, MD3060 trans, 35,000 miles, propane 5k gen, but don't know hours. It is 30 feet long. I've been looking for one of these for years.

Steve
Old 08-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
'94 30' Monaco Dynasty Purc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
Thanks to both of you for your input.

Engine is 5.9 Cummins, I believe 230 HP, MD3060 trans, 35,000 miles, propane 5k gen, but don't know hours. It is 30 feet long. I've been looking for one of these for years.

Steve

Steve,

I hope that this gets to you before you make a commitment on that rig.

Cummins makes some geat machinery, but the 5.9 in that vintage has some REALLY MAJOR defects.

The most serious is the "53" block. Most of these fail, and can not be repaired. There is information here:
Cummins' Fatal Flaws - Diesel Power Magazine
"Cummins' Fatal Flaws 1988 to 1998
It's known as the 53 block problem, because these engine blocks have the number 53 cast into the side of the crankcase.
After years of use, the 53 blocks tend to crack until coolant starts to pour out the side of the block. the 53 on the front driver side of the block. If you see this number while you're inspecting a '99 to '02 model Dodge, think long and hard before you buy it."

I have much more information if you need it.

Charles.
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #6

The MH is '94, but the original engine was replaced with a reman in 2000 because a previous owner accidentally knocked a hole in the oil pan. Because of that there is the possibility of it being a 53 engine. I will look for that. Thank you very much.

We had a 5.9 Cummins in our our previous '89 Dodge W250 camper hauler. That thing racked up 286k miles during the 23 years we had it and was still going strong. That is part of the reason I wanted a '94-'98 5.9. It also got very good fuel mileage.

We will be going to look at the MH Sunday (5th).

Thanks again.

Steve
Old 08-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #7

The MH did not have a "53" lock. I'll have to explore the "killer dowel" possibility in the near future. Thanks for the heads up about those potential problems.

We left OR the 5th and got back with our "prize" just about dark on the 11th. We had planned on 2-3 days. Most of this time was spent in the very "warm" and dehydrating Beatty, NV climate trying to figure out how to get power to the transmission to make it work after the alternator failed.

That was after the fuel filter fell off just after refueling somewhere between Phoenix and Flagstaff which left a puddle at the station and took some coaxing to bring the Cummins back to life again.

The filter was in a difficult place to install/tighten. The PO had found it leaking after a service and tightened it. I put it back on at the station and checked later to find it was coming loose again. Finally, I found a young man with a filter wrench who solved the problem.

I replaced the Alternator, but the only replacement I could find had an internal regulator while the one on the MH was external. The one with the internal regulator is on the MH now, but produces nothing. Anyone know how to do that conversion?

The final solution, a masterpiece of "jury rigging", was to run wires from the coach batteries to the chassis batteries and run the generator to provide power for the transmission, lights and whatever else was needed. The generator ran continually , except for fuel stops, for about 12-13 hours and about 800 miles, most of which was in the blistering NV heat. Thank you Onan!!

Amazing that the alternator failed after being rebuilt only a year ago.

And now I need to find more information about the MH, chassis, etc. in order to fix what is broken now and in the future.

Thanks to all for your help.

Steve
Old 08-13-2018, 05:20 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Killer Dowell Pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
The MH did not have a "53" lock. I'll have to explore the "killer dowel" possibility in the near future.
Steve
Congratulations on your new ride

I hope you can get the bugs worked out reasonably easily. I wanted a much smaller rig than I have, but bought it because of the 5.9/3060 combo. It is a hard combo to beat.

I have the kdp, but don't worry about it much.
I found this early in my research -
"KILLER DOWEL PIN / KDP
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/new-...ml#post2742534
In 14 years of dealing with Dodge Cummins, at a Chrysler dealership, (1993-2007) I only saw one engine fail due to the dowel pin ; working out into the timing gears; and two block failures. I'd say the odds are in your favor of the pin not being an issue. BUT there are ways of dealing with the issue as a preventive measure, but in a coach they would be very time consuming. "

Also, there is this -
11 Reasons Why the 12-Valve Cummins (12v) Is the Ultimate Diesel Engine
http://www.drivingline.com/articles/...diesel-engine/

Good Luck!!

Charles (RVM174).
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #9

Many thanks for all the info Charles. I couldn't read all of it this morning as I'm heading out to see my alt/starter gurus for help in resolving the alternator problem. Lovin' the side rad. which makes it much easier to work on the alt.

I wholeheartedly agree that the 5.9 is a great engine. The one we had in our '89 Dodge W250 couldn't have been better. Early on at a little better than 100k miles I asked the Cummins folks about the rotary pumps normal life span. They said around 100k miles, which is about what I got out of the CAV rotory pumps on the 6-354 Perkins transplant in our previous camper hauler. I asked if I should carry a spare with me as we traveled coast to coast and other long distances hauling a camper. Their response was that it would let me know when it was starting to fail and I would have time to replace it. The original pump was still on the engine when we sold the truck at 286k. From what I've read, and observing my son's '96 Dodge Cummins, the P pump is even better.

I rebuilt the Getrag trans, transfer case, rear diff, and a lot of other things on the truck, but the engine was happy with new Delo 15-40 and a filter every year between 5 and 10k miles, fuel filters every couple of years, and a valve adjustment about every 60k miles. That's why I wanted another one.

The 3060 is a stranger to me as far as maint. is concerned, but I did some research earlier on and this trip has taught me a lot about how it behaves without a good source of voltage.

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve

Tags
monaco, monaco dynasty, purchase