RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2015, 08:07 PM   #1

94 Executive electrical

Guys Im having an electrical problem with my rig the day before leaving to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. just had new cooling unit installed on refrig.
Now this

I get no power to my interior lights, control panel or outlets it started with the lights flickering then dimming and a door bell type sound coming from the speakers then all dark including control panel while on 120 VAC I verified power to the rig so I Started the generator to see if I got power, the control panel lit up lights came on for about 3 minutes flickering then dark but the control panel stayed lit up with the generator but no lights. Confusing i know. Any Ideas.

Greg

gdjackson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2015, 11:34 PM   #2

First thing I'd be looking into; if the fridge work was done in a shop; would be the battery cables ; are they tight ? could be someone had them off to pull the fridge, and didn't tighten them when they re-installed them.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:12 AM   #3

thanks will do
Old 10-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #4

I got new batteries still no power in house on DC power
Old 10-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #5

If you can find the coach 12v fuse panel and test for power there, if none of the fuses have power , you'll have to follow the power cable and look for a master fuse or 12v circuit breaker in line , between the battery and the fuse center.

In your original post you mentioned outlets. Were those 120v AC. outlets or 12v DC. with no power?

Note if there is a main circuit breaker in the wiring , it may have a manual reset, usually a small black push tab on the side of the housing.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:10 AM   #6

could you already solve the problem?

If no, here're my two cents:

- go, get a multimeter (walmart 10USD)
- open the battery tray, set the multimeter to Vdc mode and measure the battery voltage of each battery (black measurement tip to minus, red tip to plus).
- What is the voltage? Is it below or above 11.5V? (in case you have two 6V batteries in series, you should read something above 5.5V for each battery)

- If the voltage is too low it could be that the power was cut by an undervoltage protection device in order to protect the batteries from damage.
- if the voltage is ok, follow the cables leading away from the plus pole. Not far away there should be a main fuse (maybe black or silver box). Set the multimeter to "Ohm" and measure the two contacts of the fuse. If the reading is something below 10, it's good. If it's above 10, or even displays "OL", then the fuse is gone.

Note: please don't confuse the "fuse" with the isolator relay. The fuse should only have one cable going in, one going out. The isolator relay (responsible for connecting house and engine batteries) has three connectors at least, with one thick cable going towards the engine starting batteries.
Matt_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, 94. you might have a magnetek converter (not good) 12 volt systems are powered not so much by the batteries (Which run down quickly) as by the converter.

120 volt items.. Some have direct power (Test outlets with a lamp) some do not.. But I'd address the 12 volt side of of life first.

Check all circuit breakers,, If that does not work check for loose screws in the power distribution center... Many RVers have a few scres loose in this area.. Since you have a generator do you have an AUTOMATIC or Manual transfer (plug in) system? Check the ATS and the screws inside it as well.. in S.E. Ga? I can come calling if not too far, I bring test gear (Can not work on your electrical system legally, but I sure can test).

Tags
electrical