Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
96 Dynasty - WHERE is the Automatic Transfer Switch located??

Hi all,
I am having some electrical gremlins in our coach and I am trying to locate all of the parts and pieces to inspect them.

I am looking for the Automatic Transfer Switch (also known as an ATS) in my coach.

Ours is a 1996 Dynasty 36-footer, Count floorplan. I have a Heart Interface Freedom 20 Inverter/charger that is giving me some headaches too. Does the Freedom 20 also contain the ATS? The manual for the inverter / charger doesn't refer to that function so I presume the ATS is separate.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Can't wait to get on the road again. Spring has sprung

Jay and Valerie - 1996 Monaco Dynasty, Count 36FD. Coach #66387 C 8.3-300 hp; Allison 3060, 6.5 LP generator, no slides. New to us (3-30-2015)
BigPapaYams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 03:02 PM   #2

ATS...........
Located where Coach AC Power cord and Generator power cord converge ......then main power goes to AC Power Panel

ATS is a square electrical box roughly 3" high------2 power cords coming in and 1 power cord going out

Unless gen power goes to an outlet that shore power cord has to be plugged into for gen to power up RV
In that case ATS will only have 1 power cord going in and 1 power cord going out
Cord going out goes to MAIN AC Panel

Specific location ?????

SO scavenger hunt...............open electrical bay and follow power cord

Good luck.

Mine in 5th wheel was hidden behind a false wall. Took me days to ID location and then had to spend 1 day inside compartment up to my knees
All that neighbors could see was feet sticking out for hours.

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Jay on the 2000 Dyn it is located in the storage compartment in front of the rear wheels , on our coach it has two sliding panels and it is located behind them.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
ATS...........

Specific location ?????

Scavenger hunt...............open electrical bay and follow power cord

Good luck.
I have no "electrical bay". In the side wall left rear near the corner is a 50-amp receptacle that my cord plugs into. Above that in the bedroom is the main breaker panel for 120Volts.

My charger / inverter is in the center belly of the coach and as of yet, I have NO IDEA what lies in between.
Jay and Valerie - 1996 Monaco Dynasty, Count 36FD. Coach #66387 C 8.3-300 hp; Allison 3060, 6.5 LP generator, no slides. New to us (3-30-2015)
Old 03-29-2017, 06:09 PM   #5

Hi BigPapaYams; Usually, not always, Monaco locates the transfer switch close to the inverter. Depending on Aqua-Hot or just your regular HWH, the transfer switch is to the curbside of the inverter, or in the same bay as the inverter. Happy Hunting!
Old 03-29-2017, 07:49 PM   #6

Mine is beside the inverter in the wet bay 98 Dynasty
Old 04-01-2017, 08:31 AM   #7

Mine is not a Monaco, but near the same vintage. It is located behind the main ac electric breaker panel above the bed. I have to pull the breaker panel to get to it, at least they left enough wire to move the breaker panel without disconnecting everything
Cdnw30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:06 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I think I've found it

Thanks to Cdnw30, I am now certain I've found my ATS.

That being said, there isn't any obvious problem there. As I am no electrician, I don't know exactly what I am looking at. What I DO know is that there isn't anything blackened, no smell of burned insulation etc.

I found evidence of a previous issue / failure though which I find interesting. Someone replaced a burned (don't know what the electrical part is) and left two more spares and the burned / failed one as an example to look for.

Attached are four pictures I took with my phone:
1 - the Main Breaker panel (on the right) and the ATS (cover removed) on the left. This in the cabinet over the bed in the rear of the coach.
2 - ATS innards - a closer view of the ATS with cover removed.
3 - evidence of previous failure (burned out part) with two "spares" should something like that happen again.
4 - a closer view of the "failed / burned out" part(s) that were replaced.

My search for the ATS is over. I still have an issue (narrowing it down, it looks like I'm about to replace my "made in 1995" Freedom 20 inverter / charger. DARN IT - I'd rather replace inexpensive (relatively) than expensive components.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main breaker panel and ATS.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	156982   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATS - innards.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	156983  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Evidence of previous failure and spare parts .jpg
Views:	43
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	156984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Former failure - found in cabinet.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	156985  

Old 04-03-2017, 03:56 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaYams View Post
Hi all,
Ours is a 1996 Dynasty 36-footer, Count floorplan. I have a Heart Interface Freedom 20 Inverter/charger that is giving me some headaches too.
Make sure the Freedom inverter/charger (In the basement) has not popped the breaker on the front of it. I've had that happen in the past when we first got our unit and did not know what was going on. We have a '97 Dynasty. Or many that photo is one of the rectifiers in the inverter and you're already got it all figured out. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
That rectifier (I didn't know what it was) was in the cabinet directly in front of the metal box containing the ATS.

I can see where there are two of those "assemblies" in the ATS and I can identify the one that was replaced by matching up the colors of the four wires (black, white, yellow and red). Someone was kind enough to buy and leave two more rectifiers in the cabinet just in case there is ever a need again

Tags
cat, switch, transfer switch