Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #1

96 Monaco Winsor Buy or Not to Buy?

Hi all, hopefully someone can assist. I am looking at buying a 96 Monaco, Winsor 36ft Cummings engine, with Allison transmision. This will be my first Coach...How is are the Monaco company for support? Anything I need to check before I purchase it?

Thank you again!
ghoodnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You want to check everything, literally. Monaco Corporation made quality coaches for many years. Monaco LLC still has a few parts for older coaches and will help with part numbers in some cases. Most things that go bad are subsystems made by other companies mostly still around and will have parts available.
The roof on pre-99 Windsors is EDPM. 99 and later used fiberglass one piece roofs, a big plus on a older coach. The pre-99 Windsors had mechanical c series cummins engines that are highly regarded but old technology and probably low on HP at 250. Rule of thumb is 1 HP per 100 lbs of weight. I would expect a 96 would have a 6 speed allison transmission which is much more desirable than a 4 speed. 96's had no slides, I think, which will make is hard to resale, but will be cheaper to buy. There is a lot to know about buying your first MH. Take your time and research before buying. Other resources to research include Yahoo Monacoers group and rv.net. Rv.net has a good section on pre purchase inspection (PPI). Pricing on older MH's can be tricky. Don't over estimate the value. Older MH's are better for those of us that are handy at repairs and upgrades. Newbees sometimes overlook the age of tires and think they are OK if the tread looks good. Water intrusion or delamination can be major issues, best to be avoided at any price. Best of luck.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #3

Thank u

Thank you for the reply...I will be going down tomorrow to look the coach over. The dealer is telling me that everything is working properly. I cant see any damage or water issues from the photos. My main concern is the 230 HP Cummings engine. This will be the first desiel I will possibly own. So I dont know all the maint that needs to be done. The rest of the coach looks like it has been in a garage or covered, inside looks prestine for a 1996.

Thank u again...

Greg
Newbeeee
ghoodnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
What's the mileage and history? A garage queen can develop leaks and all sorts issues. Dealers will say anything to make a sell. 230HP? Is it a B series with possibly a 4 speed Allison? That would make it much less desirable. I'm sorry I don't know much about the earlier Windsors.

Tags
monaco