Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #1

97 Monaco Windsor Questions

I have to admit I am a complete Virgin when it comes to motor coaches. I am looking at a 97 coach with the 275 hp Cummings engine are there any issues with this power train, the unit has about 145,000miles on it and appears to be well looked after. The layout is to our liking, I know Monaco has been out of business for awhile, will this be an issue in any way. Any help in making up my mind would be very much appreciated.

Roy
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Roy, welcome to the group.

Hang around and read some of the older posts tons of information.

I can't speak to your year, but what you're looking at are the Monaco bones which are some of the best in the industry.

As far as components look at the manufacturer of the parts for historical reference. Such as Cummins, Allison, or Roadmaster. Otherwise the individual items like TV, Stereo, Refrigerator, etc can easily be updated with newer more modern items that enhance those already solid bones.

Good luck on your decision and you're on the right track.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by olcarguy View Post
I have to admit I am a complete Virgin when it comes to motor coaches. I am looking at a 97 coach with the 275 hp Cummings engine are there any issues with this power train, the unit has about 145,000miles on it and appears to be well looked after. The layout is to our liking, I know Monaco has been out of business for awhile, will this be an issue in any way. Any help in making up my mind would be very much appreciated.

Roy
Hi Roy!

I have a 96 Windsor, with the same drive line, and it is a very solid built coach! Mine was a late 96 at 38' long, and the 275 HP 8.3 also, so the same as a 97 model!
These were made with the solid steel, semi monocoque type construction, and you can't find a stronger system!
Mine has no slides, and is very quiet driving down the road!
Mine also has a very good power to weight ratio, and does very well in the hills and mountains! It gets around 9 MPG average, running around 60/65 on the highway. These have the manual injected Cummins motor, with the electronic 3060 Allison double OD transmission!
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, and I will help if I can!
I love mine, and it was just what I was looking for when I found it!
It is the perfect touring coach, and drive's like a dream, straight and true, rides great on the 8 air bags and shocks, on the Roadmaster chassis, RR8S, and has the side radiator! Mine has 108,000 miles on it and counting!
These motor's are very well built, and will last a very long time, and at 145K just getting broken in! Monaco is still in business, but owned by a totally different Co. now. (Navistar) All of the parts on these older coaches are available and can be found at most truck dealers, as the motors were used in all kinds of applications, and most of the Monaco factory out in Or. is still run by old Monaco employees (that went out on their own) with a very good reputation in fixing and repairing these older coaches if needed!
I would hire a very good inspector to look over the coach, and make sure everything is working, and if the layout is to your liking, you could do a lot worse!
Good luck, Rail!
Old 07-13-2017, 12:20 AM   #4

We have a 1998 Windsor, 34-foot, with an 8.3 300. Bought it about three years ago. Great coach. We replaced the air bags, shocks (second time) and front suspension bushings at around 100K miles.

No slides, nice layout, dependable, powerful, still looks good. I have needed minor coach-specific parts and have gotten them from Monaco.

Aside from the occasional temptation of a 50s or 60s bus conversion (they are so cool!), we have no plans to change coaches.

Matt B

PS Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions. I have taken notes on everything I have done to our coach beyond a vacuum, fuel fill or windshield wash!
Old 07-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Same as talked about above, it's a great coach. Lots of good information here PM any of us or start a thread and you should get some good answers.
foretexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would suggest that you get an independent certified RV mechanic to inspect all the RV systems, including the roof. In addition I would have the engine, transmission, frame, etc. inspected by a diesel service shop. Having a coolant and oil analysis by a lab (like JG Lubricants ) would reveal any hidden problems.

Make sure everything is in writing!! Any purchase should be contingent upon successfully passing these inspections/tests.

I would do this to any used MH I was looking to buy.

Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #7

Thanks guy's appreciate the advice.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco