Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #1

'98 Dynasty- wiring electric trailer brakes?

i'm working on gettin my electric brake controller wired up. looking for some help locating the signal wire off my service brake pedal....any idea's on where to look?
darkhorse254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
No help there. BUT...most Moanacos have extra wires, marked as extra, from front run box to the rear. Searching may be easier than running new ones. Also mine has an extra empty conduit tube running front to back that you can use to shoot new wires back if you have to. Grubby digging around to find, but worth the effort.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #3

ok, thx for the input. i did see the conduit midway of the coach, up in the floor from the basement compartment. But not at either end? i also see a couple different sets of spare wires coiled up at the front behind the generator, they go into the plastic loom to be never seen again.lol. i'm an electrician..do i ever wish i had a wiring schematic...
Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You should find the ends outside the enclosed storage up high. Statrt a thread and ask for schematics. I have mine and I know lots of them are out there, just need to find one for your year and floorplan. Good Luck
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:45 AM   #5

^^^^ok thx i'll do that.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #6

ok guys i've made a little head way. i had buddy over to give me a hand tracing wires. first got the coach running and went behind the dash in the front compartment. i found what looked like the back side of the brake pedal. air lines in and out and two pressure switches on the back side. i'm just goin to come of the load side of one, to brake controller. Now to get the wires run.....
Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like you have it figured out but I would like to throw one more thing to check into.

Coaches vary as some manufacturers will activate the brake lights when the exhaust brake/compression brake is activated and some do not. If your brake lights are activated by the exhaust brake then your trailer brakes will also be activated via the red wire feeding the controller from the brake pressure switch. This is not a concern on short grades but take a long grade with your exhaust brake on and you can easily smoke your trailer brakes.

I didn't want to go through all of the hassle of finding where it was tied into the lights and disconnect nor put a diode in line as there can be multiple circuits to address so I went a different route. I had an empty spot for a rocker switch right next to my Jake brake switch. I wired in a switch and relay so when I am coming down a grade and want to use the Jake brake but do not want to activate the trailer brakes I throw the switch and it takes the trailer brake controller out of the equation. The brake controller does not notice that the brakes are being applied so it does not activate yet I still have the manual override to activate the trailer brakes if I need to.

When I reach the bottom of the grade I simply throw the switch back into its normal position and the trailer brakes will function normally as I apply the coach service brakes.

One of the guys we go with once in a while let the smoke out of his trailer brakes a few years ago and after stopping to allow them to cool he simply rolls the adjustment dial on his controller to the minimum setting which doesn't activate the controller. When he gets on flat ground again, he rolls the dial back to a setting approx. mid-way on the dial. This works for him but seems like a pain to get the brake setting the same each time. By throwing a switch when not needed and then turning if back off when normal driving the setting stays the same with the braking rate at which you originally set it at.

Hope that makes sense. While traveling towing a trailer this way you don't have to worry if you are overworking your trailer brakes while using your exhaust brake.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #8

thx for the info....this was my concern when i started, i did want them seperate from the exhaust brake and i thought coming off the pedal would have been the thing to do. but yes, the exhaust brake does activate them...(not sure why?)... I did run them that way this weekend, as i ran out of time before leaving. i thought it performed really well that way, braking and over all control was great, we do run pretty hard, 65mph or better. i like your idea of putting in a switch and it may come to that, but would rather them on with the service brake all the time, if i can figure it out!!!

again i'm not sure why the exhaust brake would close the pressure switch on the service pedal?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
It doesn't close the pressure switch, however it does backfeed through the lights which will activate the brake controller. This was why I installed the secondary switch, just to take the brake controller out of the equation while on a long grade and using the compression brake. Once it get to fairly level ground, I turn the switch off and it functions normally again. Works like a charm and no more worrying about smoking the trailer brakes or getting it adjusted to the same point each time like my buddy on his.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #10

ah ok, thx zmotorsports. if it back feeds to power up the controller, than i should be able to install a diode between the load side of the pressure switch and the wire leaving, to keep 12 volts from back feeding and energizing the controller. then i'll have it, fully automatic and seperate from the exhaust brake. thx for the help, i'll post my results...

Tags
brakes, wiring