Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2017, 07:59 PM   #15

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/main...rt-137183.html
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #16

My 03 Windsor has failed to start a few times and every time it was because
one of my bay doors was not closed good or I had bent the door switch while
getting gear in or out .
Go slam all the bay doors real good , if that doesn't do it then look at each sw
to see if its bent and check the wires at the switches .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
My 03 Windsor has failed to start a few times and every time it was because
one of my bay doors was not closed good or I had bent the door switch while
getting gear in or out .
Go slam all the bay doors real good , if that doesn't do it then look at each sw
to see if its bent and check the wires at the switches .

Ray

Thanks Ray - there are no switches (that I know of) on my bay doors except for the ones on the doors under the slide - which I thought were interlocked with the slide to prevent trying to retract the slide with those bay doors open. Never-the-less, it is something I'll look at tomorrow. Thanks again!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:09 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a similar experience a few years ago with my '99 Dodge diesel pickup. A friend and I were on the highway going to pick up a car he had bought north of Atlanta. Everything was going fine until we stopped for fuel in northern Alabama. Nothing happened when turning the key to start the 5.9L Cummins. After some quick checks of the batteries and cables, I took a hammer and lightly tapped the starter solenoid a few times. My friend then tried the key and the starter engaged and the engine started normally. Luckily, we were picking the car up from a dealership that also serviced Dodge trucks so we got the starter changed while we were there before heading home.

I'm not familiar with the 8.3L Cummins so this process may not help you but I thought it was worth a try. At least it doesn't cost anything!

------- Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #19

2003 Monaco Windsor :While returning from trip to Emerald Island NC , stopped to fuel coach , after returning to coach attempted to start the coach it failed to start all lights and were normal. Starter made click sound nothing else. Called Coach Net they dispatched a tow truck . Tow truck showed up in about an hour and a half. After the driver picked the coach up to two it he the attempted to remove the drive shaft. He discovered that the drive shafts were pressed in and did not have tool to do the job. He moved my coach away from the fueling pump and moved to the curb of the parking lot. He then said he would call his office and have them call coach net. I then tried starting again, fired up first time. Total time about about four hours. Made it home which was about 200 mi, cut coach off and restarted no issues. Will have it checked out this week. Anyone else ever experience this issue?
TonyMc26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
I had a similar experience a few years ago with my '99 Dodge diesel pickup. A friend and I were on the highway going to pick up a car he had bought north of Atlanta. Everything was going fine until we stopped for fuel in northern Alabama. Nothing happened when turning the key to start the 5.9L Cummins. After some quick checks of the batteries and cables, I took a hammer and lightly tapped the starter solenoid a few times. My friend then tried the key and the starter engaged and the engine started normally. Luckily, we were picking the car up from a dealership that also serviced Dodge trucks so we got the starter changed while we were there before heading home.

I'm not familiar with the 8.3L Cummins so this process may not help you but I thought it was worth a try. At least it doesn't cost anything!

------- Jim

Thanks Geaux Tigers - I tried that trick early on to no avail.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
What Allison trans does it have? Is the shift pad rectangular with red l.e.d. gear display ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
1bomoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #22

Good afternoon everyone; Have been reading these posts so I thought I would chime in. Had a similar problem with my previous 2000 Windsor with the Cummins 8.3 engine. In 2010 while making a trip around the U.S. I started having trouble with the engine not cranking. Had to cycle the Ing. switch several times before started would crank and start the engine. Only did this a couple of times until I arrived just below Gilroy,Ca. Went to check in after hours at an RV park. Filled out paperwork and got into coach to go to our assigned spot. Turned key, nothing. Since I had some problems during the trip, I started searching. Tried the rear start to see if it was the Ing. switch on the dash. No luck, but I could hear a relay engaging in the area where the grid heater relays are located on the curb side of the engine bay. So I knew I was getting something to activate. Next on to starter. Big Delco Remy starter on the Cummins. Looks exactly like any other starter on an older G.M. vehicle. I supposedly checked all the wires going to the starter. All seem OK. Thought I would use an old trick for getting starters to engage if there happens to be a brush on the armature that has hit a bad spot or the brush is not making contact to the armature. Got a mid sized hammer and rapped on the starter case. Nothing. So I figured if I needed a new starter, I will hit it a little harder. If I break the case, so what, I needed a new starter anyway. So after a couple of good hits, It started right up! Never quit the rest of the way home to Seattle. I had it in the shop for oil change etc. and asked them to check for the starter not engaging problem. Boy, did I feel stupid when I went to pick up the coach. The service writer said that the tech. had discovered that the wire on the starter solenoid was loose and needed to be tightened. Some how I grabbed every wire on the starter except that one wire. Lesson learned. If someone happens to have a remote starter switch, you can hook one side of the switch to the big heavy lug on the starter, positive, and the other side of the switch to the solenoid terminal on the starter, positive, terminal, very small gauge wire. Usually marked on the solenoid, SOL. You now have a remote switch to turn over the starter to check to see if this is the problem why the starter is not turning over. Not a big load going through the remote starter switch because all you are engaging is the electromagnet in the starter solenoid. I now carry a remote starter switch just in case. I used the remote switch for years on G.M. products to set points, etc. Of course, my experience applies to the problem that I had. Could be other factors as others have posted on why the starter won't crank. I hope my experience gives others with similar problems a place to start. Hope everyone has a happy Easter.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bomoe1 View Post
What Allison trans does it have? Is the shift pad rectangular with red l.e.d. gear display ?

Thanks 1bomoe1, it has the Allison 3500 and yes - rectangle control pad with red digital display for gear and diagnostics.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Good afternoon everyone; Have been reading these posts so I thought I would chime in. Had a similar problem with my previous 2000 Windsor with the Cummins 8.3 engine. In 2010 while making a trip around the U.S. I started having trouble with the engine not cranking. Had to cycle the Ing. switch several times before started would crank and start the engine. Only did this a couple of times until I arrived just below Gilroy,Ca. Went to check in after hours at an RV park. Filled out paperwork and got into coach to go to our assigned spot. Turned key, nothing. Since I had some problems during the trip, I started searching. Tried the rear start to see if it was the Ing. switch on the dash. No luck, but I could hear a relay engaging in the area where the grid heater relays are located on the curb side of the engine bay. So I knew I was getting something to activate. Next on to starter. Big Delco Remy starter on the Cummins. Looks exactly like any other starter on an older G.M. vehicle. I supposedly checked all the wires going to the starter. All seem OK. Thought I would use an old trick for getting starters to engage if there happens to be a brush on the armature that has hit a bad spot or the brush is not making contact to the armature. Got a mid sized hammer and rapped on the starter case. Nothing. So I figured if I needed a new starter, I will hit it a little harder. If I break the case, so what, I needed a new starter anyway. So after a couple of good hits, It started right up! Never quit the rest of the way home to Seattle. I had it in the shop for oil change etc. and asked them to check for the starter not engaging problem. Boy, did I feel stupid when I went to pick up the coach. The service writer said that the tech. had discovered that the wire on the starter solenoid was loose and needed to be tightened. Some how I grabbed every wire on the starter except that one wire. Lesson learned. If someone happens to have a remote starter switch, you can hook one side of the switch to the big heavy lug on the starter, positive, and the other side of the switch to the solenoid terminal on the starter, positive, terminal, very small gauge wire. Usually marked on the solenoid, SOL. You now have a remote switch to turn over the starter to check to see if this is the problem why the starter is not turning over. Not a big load going through the remote starter switch because all you are engaging is the electromagnet in the starter solenoid. I now carry a remote starter switch just in case. I used the remote switch for years on G.M. products to set points, etc. Of course, my experience applies to the problem that I had. Could be other factors as others have posted on why the starter won't crank. I hope my experience gives others with similar problems a place to start. Hope everyone has a happy Easter.

Thanks 8.3Oilbuner, I did try to wiggle both the high and low current wires to the starter/solenoid but all were tight. I did that as a precursor to clipping a lead onto the solenoid "S" (switch terminal) to see if I was getting 12VDC to the solenoid with key in crank position - which I discovered was apx .4VDC. I've worked my way back through the starter relay (only .4VDC to that relay on crank also) to the ignition switch (which tests good). Will bear down on it again in the morning. I know there are more relays associated with the "low current" start sequence because I've heard them activating when DW helps me troubleshoot. I'd love to get my hands on a an "as built" set of wiring diagrams...
Old 04-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
There used to be a way to get the codes from the trans on the shift pad. I believe that it was to hold the up and down keys at the same time for about 10 seconds, I don't have access to my books right now I will confer it tomorrow.

1bomoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:43 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My 95 has has ignition problems I replace the ignition works fine for a while then it starts again... I have a start button by the bed that will start it .. Mine is a connection problem at the ignition switch. pita
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bomoe1 View Post
There used to be a way to get the codes from the trans on the shift pad. I believe that it was to hold the up and down keys at the same time for about 10 seconds, I don't have access to my books right now I will confer it tomorrow.

Thanks 1bomoe1, Yes - I use the diagnostic function to check the transmission fluid level, etc., but I'm at a loss to understand what more I could understand as it relates to my situation?
Old 04-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #28

Hi Stajones; Interesting that you are only getting .4V to the solenoid terminal on the starter. As mentioned in my previous post, in the engine bay in my previous 2000 Windsor and my, new to us, 2001 Windsor, on the curb side of the engine bay there are 3 or 4 relays mounted above the frame rail. Not sure what they are all for but, I know 1 is for the grid heater on the Cummins. I think one of those relays is used in the starter system as I could hear it click when I tried to start my 2000 Winsor from the rear start switch. If your bed lifts up like mine, I would get in there and have your wife turn the key to start to see if you can pinpoint it's location. On mine I think it is the center relay. That relay could be bad and not sending the full 12V down to the starter relay. Hope this info helps. Good luck.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no start