Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #29

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi Stajones; Interesting that you are only getting .4V to the solenoid terminal on the starter. As mentioned in my previous post, in the engine bay in my previous 2000 Windsor and my, new to us, 2001 Windsor, on the curb side of the engine bay there are 3 or 4 relays mounted above the frame rail. Not sure what they are all for but, I know 1 is for the grid heater on the Cummins. I think one of those relays is used in the starter system as I could hear it click when I tried to start my 2000 Winsor from the rear start switch. If your bed lifts up like mine, I would get in there and have your wife turn the key to start to see if you can pinpoint it's location. On mine I think it is the center relay. That relay could be bad and not sending the full 12V down to the starter relay. Hope this info helps. Good luck.

Thanks 8.3Oilbuner, yes - the relay to which you refer is the "aux start relay" and mine is located under the foot of the bed (inside coach). GREAT location when you think about it. But as I indicated in a earlier post, I get the same .4V there - hence my moving on to the ignition switch (which "checked" good with my OHM meter). Before I bridge the aux start relay today (which will most likely "crank" the engine) I'm going hard jumper the ignition switch wires to see if maybe the key switch fails when it tries to pass 12V. I'd like to get this thing figured out while whichever component is in a "failed" state and we're parked in a lovely spot. Thanks again for keeping up with me - any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #30

Hi Stajones; Sorry, I did read you post about the other relay. I started typing to fast and my fingers outpaced my brain. Happens a lot. I know you are on the right track. I would be looking in the same areas. I can't think of anything else at the moment. I hope you find it soon. If I think of any other place to look I will post it here. Good hunting.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #31

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stajones View Post
8.3 Cummings, app 125,000 miles. After parking for 5 days (Boondocking), got all ready to head out and no engine start. Instrument lights come on as normal, just no starter engagement from the ignition.

- Chassis battery is 12.5 V
- I cleaned and tightened every connection I could think of in the starter circuit.
- I had DW try it while I listened for signs of "clicking" in the rear and heard nothing. This is my first bit of trouble with the starter circuit. It usually fires right up, so I'm at a loss. To compound matters, it's Good Friday and I can't get service/help until next week!

I did have had an unusual electrical anomaly within the last few weeks:
about 3 weeks ago I noticed the chassis batteries started charging while we were plugged in during a two month stay - that has not been the case in the 4 1/2 years since I've owned the coach. I'm pretty sure that's the B.I.R.D. Solenoid (started working suddenly?) Shouldn't' be related to start problem but...

One observation today during troubleshooting:
while trying to start the coach I noticed if I held the key in start position for longer than two seconds, the "exhaust brake" circuit breaker would trip, shutting down the instrument cluster. (It's located on a panel next to driver's left foot). It resets by itself after 3-4 seconds. I unplugged the exhaust brake solenoid and that didn't help the situation.

We're parked in a great place, so no worries there, and we have no particular place to be so thank God for those small blessings!

I believe we could get underway by bridging the starter solenoid but I'll wait until absolutely necessary since we're in a great boondock spot.

Anyone have a similar experience or maybe a suggestion that I can look at over the weekend?

Thanks up front!

Thanks to all who posted in response to this post - what a wonderful resource for us Full timers!!
An update on my situation:
After chugging through the troubleshooting "whilst I had a failed component", I finally bridged the Aux Starter Relay (under the bed - but inside the coach!) and she started right up. After waiting a few minutes (post shutdown) I tried the key switch/ignition and "lo & behold " that path resumed functionality. So...there goes finding the real gremlin until it happens again. I still need a "control print" for this coach (1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial) so I can determine function and location of all the relays in the ignition start circuit. If anyone out there has further insight about this particular journey - please respond with thoughts, prayers and general well wishes.
Namaste,
Stan

Tags
no start