Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #1

99 Monaco Windsor rear wheel spacer between brake drum and inner wheel

Help! I just had 4 new xza2 michilen tires installed 275/70/22.5 and the r.h. inside tire is rubbing on the bolt holding the torque arm. I was wondering if there was a spacer they forgot to put back or just too big of tires? I had goodyears 670r.v. same size. Any info. will help greatly. Thanks in advance Peter from Maine
peterdube is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2016, 09:20 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is it the same size bolt as the other side? Is it rubbing against the bolt head or threads, if rubbing against the threads is the bolt in backwards?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:19 AM   #3

John, it is rubbing against the head of the bolt. Do you know if there is suppose to be a spacer between wheel and brake drum? Thanks,Peter.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm sorry I do not know, it sounds like the bolt is in correctly. Is the rub all around the wheel? If it's just in one area I'd be concerned about a bent wheel.

How close to the tire is the bolt head on the other side?

I don't recall ever seeing a spacer between a drum and wheel with a road truck chassis in more than 5 decades being involved with tires and wheels which is not to say it never happened.

Did you get a chance to look at the tire that was taken off to see if there was a rub mark on it? In that case I'd look at the suspension mounts on that side for possible damage, in fact I'd still want to check the suspension.

How did you come about to find out that it was rubbing?
Old 10-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have never heard of a spacer between the wheel and hub. It sounds to me like something in the suspension is either broken or loose and things are out of align.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #6

Check the other side for rubbing. If both sides rub, I would say you have some loose parts in the suspension or the tire profile is way too wide.

If only one side, look for some cracked welds in the suspension components, in either side, that could cause a shift in the axle alignment.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #7

just had tires put on. The goodyears are the same number size but the Mich. are bigger over all. Noticed the problem when I went under to check the clearance. The rubbing goes all around the tire,nice and even. Frame and every thing looks good. I was just hoping spacer may have been left out. Tire company coming to house Monday. I asked the Teck. if there would be enough room but o well next time I will get down and look myself. Tire is ruined ,150 miles later.Here we go. Got them through FMCA so not sure what to do.Find out Monday Thanks Peter from Maine
Old 10-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Google the specs for both tires and see what the tire width is for both brands, even if there is a difference in size there's a reason why it only rubs on one side.

If both the tires were the same size you'd expect them to fit.

Do you know of any time one of the wheels may have been changed on that side? Possibly if a different offset wheel was used and OK on the outside it may still have rubed if reversed and used on the inside.

Picking at straws without being able to see it.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
for a possible quick fix, try replacing the bolt with a carriage bolt.
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #10

If it's rubbing the head of a bolt enough to ruin the tire, it can't be to far from rubbing whatever the bolt is in.

The bolt may be a grade 8 or stronger bolt, probably holding an important suspension component.

The cause needs to be corrected.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I was under my coach today--a 2000 Dynasty similar to your Windsor and there is no suspension component closer than 1" to the tire. I have 275 80 Michelins on mine.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:31 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
If it is rubbing on one side and not the other, something is amiss? Something else to check is the spacing between the tires! You don't want them rubbing together also! If the tires are the same size between the GY and the Michelin's? You sure of that? Not a difference between the 70's and 80's? Or a difference in the 255 to 275 or to 295?
And this "? Do you know of any time one of the wheels may have been changed on that side. Possibly if a different offset wheel was used and OK on the outside it may still have rubbed if reversed and used on the
inside." from what JohnRR ask?
Sorry about the ruined tire! But there has to be something that is different!
I am betting on maybe a different size ( offset ) wheel? Are they all steel wheels, or Alum. outside, steel inside? All alum.? If all steel with simulators, did they put them back in the same position as they came off?
Just questions to ask? Kind of grasping at straws?
Rail!
Old 10-20-2016, 03:16 PM   #13

All fixed guys! The new xza2's were .5" wider therefore causing the inner tire to rub on the torque arm bolt head .Took the coach down to Stratham Tire yesterday ,they ground down the head a little ,put on another new tire and all is good. Great company to do business with.They were sorry it happened and sent me on my way. n/c. Thank you for all the help. Peter in Maine
Old 10-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At this point I would normally thank you for the update but I'm sorry I don't think the problem is corrected completely. Having a bigger size tire is one thing but still having to grind the bolt head just does not sound good kind of like back yard mechanics at it's best/worse.

In your first post you posted they were the same size tire, did they now replace all four or just the one?

Tags
monaco, brake, ace