Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2014, 07:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
99 Windsor Fuel Sending unit

All,

I purchased my coach over a year ago and the prior owner had purchased parts to replace but never got around to them. So I got boxes of new stuff! The problem was none of it fit. The oil sending unit he bought for $135 only had one lead, the temp sending unit was wrong, and now I finally got around to trying to fix the fuel sending unit.

I have done all of the tricks I've read about on this forum. The ground is good, I cleaned and re terminated all of the wires. So I opened up the brand new box for the fuel sending unit. I'm sure it was $$$$$ I compared it to the original and it's about a inch longer and hits the bottom of the tank....

Can it be shortened?

My recent effort seem to have made it a little more accurate but when I dipped the tank it showed lower than half a tank but the gauge shows higher that half. I will fill it up on Friday and maybe adjust the original one so that it's just on full.

Suggestions would be appreciated.
Tomjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Good luck Tom , that fuel sender don't work wort a crap and I gave up long ago and just run by my Silverleaf info. Do a search on this forum and read about Silverleaf program I would not want to be without it.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Fuel sender

The SilverLeaf is on my list of things to get. I did however have good luck today working on the original sending unit. It read 100 ohms when removed Justine the brand new unit. I was checking the wires and they appeared to be in good shape but when I measured the ground I had some resistance and only 10 or 11 volts. So I cut the wires and determinate them. Big difference I had zero resistance to ground and 12.65 Volts. I also marked the fu level on the probe. I then measured the probe and it was about 21.5 inches long but I figured the distance to the filler neck compared to the probe have me about 20 inches of measurement. I the. Marked the probe at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4. I then he the probe in the fuel to the 1/4 and made a very slight adjustment. I then pulled it out to 1/8 and the gauge indicated 1/8 and the low fuel alarm came in. I had a little under 1/2 tank of fuel and the gauge also read correctly. I am filling up Friday and I'm hoping I get a good indication. The new fuel sending unit is about an inch too long but I know how to cut it down in case the original is flaky.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #4

sending

3 weeks ago I replaced sending unit in 99 windsor. Mine was 1 inch to long so I shortened it . Talked to manufacturer and they stated that it will now reading lower than actual. Better than higher than actual. lol James
Old 08-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Replaced the original sending unit

Well Winston,

I did the same as you. After all my troubleshooting and figuring things out I ended up just cutting an inch of the new one.

I went to fuel up this morning and the original gauge was working perfect in the driveway, once I started driving it was back to the normal 3/4 mark and I knew from dipping the tank it was below 1/2.

So I cut an inch of and didn't mess with the empty adjustment and had to barely turn the full pot to be just on full. I will see how this next trip goes. I should have done this to start with, wasted a few hours on my knees. Lol

Tags
fuel