Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A/C drain?

Good day.

New to me coach, (see sig) had front heat pump running all night. Some condensate dripping off roof just behind door, (seems normal). Opened gen compartment this morning and see water(?) dripping from the bottom of a white garden hose, that runs down the corner of the drivers side cap. Is this an internal A/C drain?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Probably so. All three of the heat pump/AC's on my dynasty 42 have these drains. Your heat pump probably went into "defrost" and this is where your water came from. The other two drains are mid coach (look under and you will see it) and just inside engine compartment.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks!
I'll have a look for the other 2.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #4

As far as I know when on heat pump there is NO drain pan under it and will drip on the roof ...the pan is under the inside coil for condensation when cold......when on heat pump the coils are reversed ..condenser is hot gas now to heat the coach.the rear coil is the cold one (evap)...no pan catcher for that
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
My front A/C has a drain tube that runs under the roof above the ceiling, goes down inside the windshield post on the driver's side, and drains out at the bottom next to the generator. Sounds like you have the same thing.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
MS,
Not to be critical of your post but 96wideglide is aware of the drains now for his AC.

The question brought up by pipedream2 has to do with whether or not the heat pumps also drain into the pan where the drain hoses are connected.

If you read his post, you will see that a reversing valve is involved and the condensation/defrost cycle (heat pump only) may not drain into that pan.

Next time I am on my roof, I will remove the shroud and take a look but I think pipedram2 may have the answer.

If true, then the water coming down 96wideglide's drain hose inside the generator compartment should be dry unless there was residual water in the pan or the water did come from the defrost cycle.

The next time you (MS) run your heatpumps only, take a look at the sides of your coach and see if you have water running down the outside or if you have water running from the drains.

I personally have seen water on the sides when the heat pumps only were being used on our Dynasty but never thought too much about it until now and didn't bother to look underneath the coach to see if the drains were also wet.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
On mine the water running off the roof in the a/m is from overnite condensation and not related to the a/c unit. The water fron the defrost cycle on the a/c unit when running as a heat pump is caught by the pan under the condenser unit and drained out the hose just as it is during the a/c. The a/c units have a freeze detector attached to the condenser unit that determines when the condenser is freezing up and stops the compressor leaving the fan on to defrost the condenser coils.
Ron
04 Imperial
Old 10-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=96 Wideglide;1763927]Good day.

New to me coach, (see sig) had front heat pump running all night. Some condensate dripping off roof just behind door, (seems normal). Opened gen compartment this morning and see water(?) dripping from the bottom of a white garden hose, that runs down the corner of the drivers side cap. Is this an internal A/C drain?[/QUOTE]

Barlow46- My answer was was in response to his last question.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote