RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
A/C failing

I have an A/C unit in my bedroom that is putting out cool air at 25 degrees warmer than the front unit. They're the original Dometic units. Is there anyway to recharge these or is it a unit replacement?

And Yes it's hot here in Texas right now😉

Jeepsrule
Diplomat 40PDQ
Jeep Liberty toad
Fulltimer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Have the FIlter and coils been cleaned lately? That is usually the main things that cause problems with A/C units.
This video might help....

Good Luck,
Richard Smith

Old 08-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #3

I agree with checking the filters, etc. However, depending on the age of your a/c unit, it maybe time to replace. RV a/c units are not as a general rule repairable. Replacement is the only way to go. We have always used the rear unit to help reduce the temp in our Discovery. As such, over the past ten years, the first unit to replace was the rear unit. And, again, just now, we have replaced the rear unit again. 114,000 miles. Long time in the coach. Lots of hot places. Just one of those things that need to be attended to if you have an RV.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with all. I seriously doubt that that if it is broken that you can get somebody to fix it without paying big bucks. I opened up all my roof AC units and cleaned the coil and it made a big difference.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
That is the first thing I would do is clean both the evaporator and condensing coils. Since you have to remove the top AC shroud to clean the condensing coil you might as well access the evaporator from the roof also.

Before you start I would take the AC filter out and put a bunch of rags up into the duct work to stop dirt/dust from coming down.

After removing the shroud you will see the condenser coil which you can easily blow out. There is also sheet metal that encloses the evaporator coil and blower motor fan. You can remove the sheet metal screws and pull the sheet metal up. Then just take compressed air hose and blow air thru the evaporator. Check both of the fan blower blades (these are round squirrel cage type blades) and make sure there are no dirt dobber nests or excess dirt built up. After your done put the screws back in the sheet metal, reattach the shroud and pull the rags out of the duct work.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Replaced my rear 11K AC with a 13.5K one at 13 years 10 months
Replaced front 13.5K at 15 years 1 month with a 15K heat pump

Used since 2002 Full Time

Air temp difference between intake and output should be around 18-20 difference.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys for all the ideas. I'll check my coils. It's been a couple years since I cleaned them but I doubt that will do much judging by my last inspection. I'm guessing it will need to be replaced.

Jeepsrule
Diplomat 40PDQ
Jeep Liberty toad
Fulltimer