Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #1

A/C Problems

First day out in a couple of months. Turned on the A/C and zones 1 & 2 are working fine but no zone 3. Looked at the wall DuoTherm thermostat and zone 3 was blank. Did some searching and found the reset procedure and reset the thermostat. Turned it off and then on again and all three zones appeared. Set them for 72 cool and zones 1 and 2 came on but no zone 3. Went back to the wall thermostat and zone 3 was blank again. Tried the reset two more time each with the same result - zone 3 shows up for about 15 seconds then goes blank. Has anyone had a problem like this or have any idea what to check next???? Thanks, Jim
jwm4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #2

Physically swap the two thermostates and then reset them both and see if the problem stays or not. If the problem stays the same then it is the circuit board in the AC unit that is bad
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #3

There is only one thermostat. There is a button that switches from zone 1,2,3
Old 05-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #4

So how many roof AC units do you have?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
First of all, this is a Camelot 42' PDQ (wouldn't it be nice if everyone included this info in their signature?)
All the recent brochures indicate it has three 13.5 roof a/c's (heat pumps incl.) with A thermostat. Now all you a/c knowledgeable people can weigh in.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #6

Then the simplest thing is that Zone 3 AC unit does not have power going to it. The circuit breaker for that unit has popped. If you shut Zone 1 and 2 OFF and turn on Zone 3 in COOL by itself does that AC unit start up? If not then check breaker power. If that Zone #3 AC unit has power then I would be very suspect of the circuit board in the AC unit that supplies info back to the thermostat.

One question I have here.....has that Zone 3 AC unit always worked or is this a recently obtained mh?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #7

Hi to all,

this is a new problem since last use (two months ago). Tried the suggestion to turn off zones 1 and 2. Zone 3 does not come on. Circuit breaker is NOT snapped. The unusual thing is the thermostat display screen is blank for zone three.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #8

Are trying this plugged into shore power or on the generator? Could be that you have lost one leg of 50 amp power. Try different power source and also check your main power to make sure you harbor lega
Old 07-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I frequently see this same problem on my '09 Camelot. Zone 1 & 2 operate normally, and 3 is blank. At the moment I am watching this scenario with Zone 3 AC rooftop running merrily along. I have to wonder why, or for how much longer it will run... as I cannot adjust anything to do with that unit - cause its ALL BLANK. I have not tried touching up the solder on the thermostat, but it sounds like as good a plan as any. Suggestions ?
Daveo0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The 5 button, DuoTherm thermostat is here: http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ccc5.pdf
And resets or power cycles don't seem to have much effect. The odd part is this: Initially after reset the thermostat shows all zones and appears to function normally. Delay times are in effect, so none of the units starts up, but I am able to set the mode and temperature etc. After a minute or so zone #3 just blanks out. No additional user interaction is possible because the entire display is blank when zone 3 is selected. Then the delays expire and zone 3 starts up, even though the display is still blank entirely whenever zone 3 is selected. Curiouser and curiouser...
Old 07-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The cable used to communicate between the 5 button thermostat and the roof-top A/C is a 4 wire data cable with a RJ-11 connector. Make sure that they are snapped into each end securely and that the cable is still good.

There is also a fuse on the control circuit board inside the roof-top A/C that needs to be checked whether it is OK.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Had the same problem several times. I would check the data cable connections between Z 2 & 3 and the 3amp fuse connection on Z 3 AC.control board.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The cable used to communicate between the 5 button thermostat and the roof-top A/C is a 4 wire data cable with a RJ-11 connector. Make sure that they are snapped into each end securely and that the cable is still good.

There is also a fuse on the control circuit board inside the roof-top A/C that needs to be checked whether it is OK.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
We found corroded RJ11 connections/couplers at the rooftop units were the culprits. I either replaced the coupler or cut off/replaced the connector. I then taped up any connections I could. Make sure to crimp the new connector in the correct wiring direction.
bshephard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We made extreme negative progress today on this problem, and picked a 99 degree day to do it. We went from 3 roof top AC 's running to two, to none. The RV repair folks working on the problem tried resetting the thermostat, which seemed to kill zone 3 entirely. Then they tried replacing the RJ11 cable between zone 2 and 3, which killed everything else. I now have nothing on the 5-button thermostat, no power on either side of the 3 amp fuse in the center (zone 2) control unit, and no idea what to do next.

The 12V fuse box in the RV's center bathroom has no problems with any of its fuses, including the two labeled "Furnace" or "Thermostat". I have spoken with some OTHER RV techs, and the consensus is that the fuse on the 12V power source feeding the control board in the zone 2 unit (the ony unit of the 3 with a control board) is blown open. Also possibly the thermostat is blown. So I have been hunting fuses, but no joy so far. Currently the only line feeding the control box that has 12V on it appears to be one of the blue wires labeled "furnace". I am guessing so far that these two blue wires somehow control if the aqua-hot is being requested or not.

Does anyone have a suggestion?