Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2017, 09:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
A Few Monaco Questions

We have a new to us 2008 Monaco Knight PDQ

I have a splendid washer/dryer in my coach and a fairly large storage cabinet above and not sure but looks like some spare area under the current splendid but we haven't cut into it to find out. Maybe someone can tell me, is it likely to be hollow below the spendid so that I could remove it and install a stacking unit? hopefully won't be to much weight either.

Has anyone done this in this unit?

Also, I know Ernie Ekbert is awesome at doing wood floors. We need to have our bedroom done as the carpeting is getting ugly. Probably we have with Ernie is he does not allow clients to be in the coach while he is working from 8am-4pm for 3 days. That is to hard with having two very senior furbabies and one of them needs to eat frequently and her foods we have to cook for her. We never take trips that are more than 4-5 hours because of this problem along with our other furbaby, gets very tired easily and needs her bed to sleep in. I know it sounds silly but this is their life. Not something he was willing to make concession with. We have had some other installs done on the coach where we were there for 3 weeks and as long as we stayed out of the way, they were fine. We would come and go through out the day.

SOOOO, does anyone have anyone else they can recommend to do the flooring. I am currently in Oregon and will be heading to Washington and then east to South Dakota. Then down to the south (texas area) then start back toward Nevada to spend Nov and Dec.

Last question....we have ceramic tile flooring in the livingroom, kitchen and bath.....I hate constantly scrubbing the light beige tile. Would it be worth pulling up the tile and ave wood floors done (not that I want to spend that extra money but will, if it is to my advantage and peace).
Or if someone has another idea other than throw rugs.
Thanks bunches
Judi
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 10:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise View Post

I have a splendid washer/dryer in my coach and a fairly large storage cabinet above and not sure but looks like some spare area under the current splendid but we haven't cut into it to find out. Maybe someone can tell me, is it likely to be hollow below the spendid so that I could remove it and install a stacking unit? hopefully won't be to much weight either.

Also, I know Ernie Ekbert is awesome at doing wood floors. We need to have our bedroom done as the carpeting is getting ugly. Probably we have with Ernie is he does not allow clients to be in the coach while he is working from 8am-4pm for 3 days. That is to hard with having two very senior furbabies and one of them needs to eat frequently and her foods we have to cook for her. We never take trips that are more than 4-5 hours because of this problem along with our other furbaby, gets very tired easily and needs her bed to sleep in. I know it sounds silly but this is their life. Not something he was willing to make concession with. We have had some other installs done on the coach where we were there for 3 weeks and as long as we stayed out of the way, they were fine. We would come and go through out the day.

SOOOO, does anyone have anyone else they can recommend to do the flooring. I am currently in Oregon and will be heading to Washington and then east to South Dakota. Then down to the south (texas area) then start back toward Nevada to spend Nov and Dec.

Last question....we have ceramic tile flooring in the livingroom, kitchen and bath.....I hate constantly scrubbing the light beige tile. Would it be worth pulling up the tile and ave wood floors done (not that I want to spend that extra money but will, if it is to my advantage and peace).
Or if someone has another idea other than throw rugs.
Thanks bunches
Judi
It's too bad you can't somehow figure a compromise for Ernie to do your work. Maybe a nearby hotel, ??? He does nice work from what I've seen. I'm sure there are other installers along your travels, however.

One thing to consider, if you take out the tile and replace with the wood, I think it makes the inside of the coach seem larger. Just my opinion, though.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If you want a good job and you are in OR, check out Elite RV repair in Harrisburg ((541) 995-4767). The have done good work for us. Have been there 3 times in the last 4 years and definitely will go back again.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:19 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
In my Monaco Knight, I have a washer/dryer combo with a large cabinet above and there is a large drawer below. It's possible the space below is empty, but they may have filled it up. Good luck.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:43 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
It's too bad you can't somehow figure a compromise for Ernie to do your work. Maybe a nearby hotel, ??? He does nice work from what I've seen. I'm sure there are other installers along your travels, however.

One thing to consider, if you take out the tile and replace with the wood, I think it makes the inside of the coach seem larger. Just my opinion, though.
I wish we could figure out a way with Ernie...hotel will get expensive with 2 dogs and a hotel that has a kitchenette so we can cook
Old 05-30-2017, 02:44 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoyce View Post
In my Monaco Knight, I have a washer/dryer combo with a large cabinet above and there is a large drawer below. It's possible the space below is empty, but they may have filled it up. Good luck.
Thank you for the information, it may turn out to be helpful
Old 05-30-2017, 02:46 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
If you want a good job and you are in OR, check out Elite RV repair in Harrisburg ((541) 995-4767). The have done good work for us. Have been there 3 times in the last 4 years and definitely will go back again.
I will call them. the biggest problem we are seeing in Oregon is there is a 2-3 week waiting list as the few places we have called but doesn't mean I can't get lucky. Hope they are as reasonable as Ernie or close to.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise View Post

We have a 2002 Windsor with a similar set up, splendid washer/dryer, an area below that, and a storage cabinet above. My area below has 2 heating ducts in it. One comes out below the splendid, and the other goes to a bedroom vent. I'd guess there is something in that space, maybe not. Not sure Monaco would put the splendid off the floor that far and waste the space. If no heating ducts, etc., then you'd think they'd put a drawer there. But you never know.

I've thought of putting a stacking pair in that location. Would try to sit the dryer on the floor of the upper cabinet first. If that didn't work, would try to stack them by taking the upper cabinet floor out.

I have had the splendid and the floor out. I think the floor was screwed down. Was not real hard to get out. I had a mold problem caused by a grey tank overflow and the plastic over the carpet/pad under the cabinet did not let the area dry.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:49 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Should have put this in my first answer. We have a 45' SIG and the coach has a stacked Bosch set of washer & dryer. Have been full time for 4 years in the coach and DW does all the laundry in them. We did have one of the combination units in a previous RV and she hated it. Really likes the Bosch units.

We had Ernie put in our wood floor 4 years ago and stayed in the coach at the time. If you look on his site, you will find photos of coaches where owners are in the coach with two dogs. He used to allow that. Don't know when he changed.

The guys at Elite in OR will let you stay in the coach if you're there over night. They have power & water with a dump a block away. Only draw back is you are parked right next to a busy train track.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:32 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
Should have put this in my first answer. We have a 45' SIG and the coach has a stacked Bosch set of washer & dryer. Have been full time for 4 years in the coach and DW does all the laundry in them. We did have one of the combination units in a previous RV and she hated it. Really likes the Bosch units.

We had Ernie put in our wood floor 4 years ago and stayed in the coach at the time. If you look on his site, you will find photos of coaches where owners are in the coach with two dogs. He used to allow that. Don't know when he changed.

The guys at Elite in OR will let you stay in the coach if you're there over night. They have power & water with a dump a block away. Only draw back is you are parked right next to a busy train track.

I don't know when Ernie changed either....but he was adamant about it.
His email Quote to Quote
"I have been in the flooring business for 45+ years. I work alone. No clients in the coach. Period. I believe you would be better served with some other flooring business."

Yes, I know about the dreaded train tracks, been here to Oregon (Junction City twice to have woodworking done) We had extensive woodwork done in October and I mean extensive but had to come back a second time now so they could repair what they did the first time that didn't hold up. Sad when you spend $20,000 to have work done and have to come back for no other reason but to have it repaired 7 months later. Makes one wonder. The best part is, because they are not making any money off of us, they are taking their time and I will have been here 2 weeks by the time they are done and I believe they won't be done but I have to leave as we have an appt to have our awning and skylight installed that got destroyed in a bad windstorm. Things seem to never stop. We have only been in this since Sept 30th and haven't had problems with the motorhome itself, it has been great, it is all these other things.....on top of having a dog that keeps getting UTI's at the age of 10 1/2 years old. Feel like I am spending 99% of our RV lives, in fix/build shops, hunkered down for winter or dogs having surgery. But can't financially turn back now.

BTW, Elite had me send pictures and will get us a quote this afternoon or tomorrow.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:41 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbow43 View Post
We have a 2002 Windsor with a similar set up, splendid washer/dryer, an area below that, and a storage cabinet above. My area below has 2 heating ducts in it. One comes out below the splendid, and the other goes to a bedroom vent. I'd guess there is something in that space, maybe not. Not sure Monaco would put the splendid off the floor that far and waste the space. If no heating ducts, etc., then you'd think they'd put a drawer there. But you never know.

I've thought of putting a stacking pair in that location. Would try to sit the dryer on the floor of the upper cabinet first. If that didn't work, would try to stack them by taking the upper cabinet floor out.

I have had the splendid and the floor out. I think the floor was screwed down. Was not real hard to get out. I had a mold problem caused by a grey tank overflow and the plastic over the carpet/pad under the cabinet did not let the area dry.

Good luck on your decision.
I have learned you never know with Monaco...I think they didn't put cabinets and drawers where they could have because of costs. I have a 4 slide and our kitchen slide out, at the end of it has a up above cabinet that backs to the shower. Under it is a small counter top and under that is a box where in the very bottom of it has a head duct hose...and 2 wiring junction boxes. But at the top half of it. It is hollow, we had 2 pantry type drawers put in there for can goods. They could have easily done that and given the kitchen more storage. I would love to show pictures but I don't have those picture accounts, only have dropbox and I don't get URL's for my pictures that I know of.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:55 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
There are several hotels in Weatherford that allow pets. The La Quinta allows pets and charges no pet fee. They have microwave and fridge in the room. If you need more than that, go to a nearby restaurant, there are several different restaurants in walking distance from that hotel, many that are budget friendly.

Many other hotels allow pets too, but charge a pet fee of $20-$25. Quality Inn, Holiday Inn Express...

The Candlewood Suites allows pets and has a full kitchen in their suites, even a dishwasher. They are $95 a night, which seems pretty cheap compared to what putting that new floor in your RV is going to cost. I know, I've already gotten a bid, and we will be doing ours in a few months.

Weatherford is a big town. My father lives there. They have every store and restaurant you can imagine, for the most part.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:34 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Well seems typical of how my needs are going.
So Elite asks for pictures, I send them....he calls me and tells me
You have a step for engine cover on one side of bed that is carpeted and has to stay carpeted as it can't be done in wood. Now I know that is not true as I know people that have wood and the engine cover is done in wood.

Sooooo, I am back to square one.

Thought about ripping it up and doing it myself and seeing how bad I can screw it up but don't want to waste alot of money I don't have. So, I might try ripping it up in Nov and Dec when we are in Las Vegas for the winter months and putting down with extra glue, those peel and stick vinyl tiles. Not all that nice but better than the carpeting.

Any other suggestions out there? Please pass them along....
Our current route will be...by the end of next week, crossing into Washington State, then to Idaho, Montana and destination for 2-3 weeks be near and around Rapid City, SD. Then we will start to head south. So if anyone knows of anyone that is good and reasonable....please share. Thank you much
Old 05-31-2017, 03:43 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I would re-read #12 post from RobbieH and have ernie do it. Stay in a hotel nearby.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco