Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
A New Gremlin?

Stopped in a rest area after about 300 miles of 65MPH droning. Had been running the dash fan on vent (no air cond) and using the cruise control all day. When I started the engine and pulled back out on the slab, the dash fan would not run, my cruise was not functioning and my tag would not lift. Made it to my camp site (Redstone Arsenal) and after stopping and re-starting the engine, everything seems to work again. What am I looking at? Ignition switch?

RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Man, tracking down an intermittent problem can be a real PITA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonNBama View Post
Ignition switch?
That's where I would start.

It's not unheard of them failing from the weight of keys hanging from them, or from the contacts being overloaded (some have added relays to lighten the load on the ignition switch.)

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks SS. That switch was the only "in-common" and is suspect in a lot of this type problem(s). I can so easily overlook the obvious though, thus my cry for help. THE SKY IS FALLING!!!
Old 03-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
When we bought our 2006 Allegro with the 8.1 Chev. on the workhorse chassis I found the original ignition switch in one of the cabinets. I think there may have been a recall for some of the GM ignition switches. I don't know your set-up, but if it is GM you might check for recall notices.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1984 Barth Regal)
(1998 Monaco Dynasty)
2001 Monaco Executive

Which one of these rigs are you asking about?
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
1984 Barth Regal)
(1998 Monaco Dynasty)
2001 Monaco Executive

Which one of these rigs are you asking about?
The () indicate rigs that we previously drove. The 2001 Monaco is the only one now.

Larry, this almost certainly a GM switch judging by the key shape.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #7

Ron ...didn't think you would trade down to the 84 barth....lol

The ignition switch is doing only one thing while running....it powers the ignition relay and the accessory relay in the front run bay.

Both relays power up terminal strips from which everything on the is powered.....fans, cruise. gauges, ecm Alliston etc.

if you had an ignition switch problem you would loose all or half (ignition or Accessory) terminal /fuse strips

fans (defrost type) and cruise are on different strips......My fans are NOT controlled by the key ......they are on a separate strip live full time through a fuse strip (Domestic fuse block)

Do you have electic drawings

And cruse and Tag ect is on a similar fuse block (ignition fuse block ..is a.key controlled by the relay for ignition fuse strip)

If you lost the relay you loose all that is on that fuse strip.....but each has their own protection fuse

are the item you mentioned the ONLY things you lost or all you noticed ....backup camera display is on that strip ??.
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
From the pilot seat while driving, those were the only things I knew were not functioning (tag, dash fans, cruise), Could be more that I just did not notice. Backup camera was operational. I see what you mean though about the power distribution from various strips. Thanks
Old 03-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not exactly the same problem, but parallels it. We headed out on a 2000 mile run a couple of days ago. The first day, all went s-m-o-o-t-h, covering 450 miles without any problems whatsoever.

The next morning, no dash lights, no clearance lights, and I don't know what else.

In my case, I opened the front run bay and started checking fuses. When I simply touched the fuse marked 'clearance lights', everything came on! I pulled the fuse, looked at it, pushed it back into its slot, and all has been good ever since!

Murphy!

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #10

On the same note: my Aladdin system that stopped working---I checked everything I thought!!! Finally took it to the shop whereby the mech. checked 5 amp fuse to find that although the fuse did look good, that it wasn't working... There goes just looking at fuses without using meter!!!!!
Good luck with your venture!!!!!

Steve
SPA48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I always use my DVOM to check fuses first because it's so difficult to remove them without a pair of pliers especially those dang little ones which are always in very tight places. It's easy with a meter using the probes and listen for the beep.

On one rare occasion the fuse appeared OK with the meter and looked OK when removed BUT it wasn't for some strange reason.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #12
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I always use my DVOM to check fuses first because it's so difficult to remove them without a pair of pliers especially those dang little ones which are always in very tight places. It's easy with a meter using the probes and listen for the beep.

On one rare occasion the fuse appeared OK with the meter and looked OK when removed BUT it wasn't for some strange reason.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard, this is why I recommend a test light when checking fuses. It puts a tiny bit of a load on them. A digital voltmeter can really burn you. Often I grab my trusty analog Simpson 260. It always tells the truth.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote