Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #1

About to take the plunge

The wife and I have decided to take the plunge and buy a Monaco. We thought we had found one until the salesman tried to low-ball me on the trade. I guess he thought I didn't know what the numbers were.

Anyway, my biggest fear in the equation is the drivetrain. The dealers solution was to purchase their extended warranty, but is there a way to determine the general "health" of an engine prior to purchase.

I've been reading this Forum and have found a lot of good information on the Monaco brand. I'm hoping someone can give me some additional advice.

Thanks in advance.
offdutyagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 12:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdutyagain View Post
The wife and I have decided to take the plunge and buy a Monaco. We thought we had found one until the salesman tried to low-ball me on the trade. I guess he thought I didn't know what the numbers were.

Anyway, my biggest fear in the equation is the drivetrain. The dealers solution was to purchase their extended warranty, but is there a way to determine the general "health" of an engine prior to purchase.

I've been reading this Forum and have found a lot of good information on the Monaco brand. I'm hoping someone can give me some additional advice.

Thanks in advance.
Well, you could have an oil analysis done. But the age of your unit and the miles on it will be the major variables in my opinion. My coach has the V10 and had 18,000 miles on it when I bought it. I had the guy I hired doing the pre-purchase inspection use a magnet and check both the oil and the tranny fluid for metal. Then we took it for a good test drive. The service was up to date. You could also take it to a dealership and have them go over it and do a compression test on it if gasser.
Billinwoodla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #3

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
If you are looking at any of these check the trailing arm problem because the fix can cost big bucks.
Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
I would look for something with a side radiator because when it come to repairs a rear radiator will cost a lot more when you have to go through the bed room. Check tire dates 8 to 10 years max, mine cost $4200.
Checked for fogged windows, if it has a Norcold frig check if it has had the recalls done, witch is a joke. I switched mine for a Samsung 197 RR frig.
Check for service records, a must.
2 stroker
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #4

What model, engine are you looking at? Also your location might be helpful for referrals to someone who can evaluate the unit/ drivetrain. Lots of reading on extended warranties available.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:02 AM   #5

Thanks for all the good advice. The unit has the RR8 chassis which I thought was spared the trailing arm problem. Also has the side radiator which I read was the better set-up.

Unfortunately, the dealer got greedy and the deal fell apart. So it's back to square one again.

Thanks for all the tips...I will certainly use them as we look for another coach.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:28 AM   #6

What is your location, year, and price range. Are you only looking at Monaco coaches. This would help to locate a coach and be able to send you some links.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
What is your location, year, and price range. Are you only looking at Monaco coaches. This would help to locate a coach and be able to send you some links.
2 stroker
Sorry, we are from Michigan, but are currently in Florida. Honestly, I think we are looking at 2000 thru 2006 because of the price ($100k). We have a 2012 fiver we'd like to trade in and could also trade a 2014 TV.

My preference is: Monaco; HR; Tiffin; Newmar. We would rather have an older well-built coach than a newer one that is slapped together.

The only reason we are looking is we found with the slides in on our fifth wheel, we have limited access to the coach. We can only access 1/2 of the refrigerator, bathroom and bedroom. In order to eat on the road, we have to stand, sit in the truck, or find a picnic table at a rest stop.

We have it made when we get to our destination. Four slides add a great deal of living space. But we found that our old fifth wheel actually gave us more space on the road. Go figure.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:11 AM   #8

04 / 05 / 06 were great years for HR. Enjoy the hunt.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Sorry, we are from Michigan, but are currently in Florida. Honestly, I think we are looking at 2000 thru 2006 because of the price ($100k). We have a 2012 fiver we'd like to trade in and could also trade a 2014 TV.

My preference is: Monaco; HR; Tiffin; Newmar. We would rather have an older well-built coach than a newer one that is slapped together.

The only reason we are looking is we found with the slides in on our fifth wheel, we have limited access to the coach. We can only access 1/2 of the refrigerator, bathroom and bedroom. In order to eat on the road, we have to stand, sit in the truck, or find a picnic table at a rest stop.

We have it made when we get to our destination. Four slides add a great deal of living space. But we found that our old fifth wheel actually gave us more space on the road. Go figure.

Look for a Dynasty in the '03-'06 range. I've always considered the Dynasty to be a great "bang for the buck" coach.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:27 AM   #10

Thanks for the information. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but is there a "pecking order" of models in the Monaco line? I've looked at the Monaco website and looking at the archived brochures it doesn't seem possible that one manufacturer had so many models/floorplans. I would hate to have to carry inventory for the many builds that are listed.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but is there a "pecking order" of models in the Monaco line? I've looked at the Monaco website and looking at the archived brochures it doesn't seem possible that one manufacturer had so many models/floorplans. I would hate to have to carry inventory for the many builds that are listed.

Adding to all the Monaco models is the fact that most Monaco models had a close twin in the HR line. Then in the '03-'05 time frame the Beaver/Safari models were incorporated.

The top models in the Monaco/HR line up were:
1. Signature Series
3. Executive and Navigator
3. Dynasty
These coaches were built on the S Series, semi monocoque chassis. These coaches had framing in the floor, sidewalls and roof of welded steel. It was among the strongest, stiffest motorhome chassis built, but heavy. After '03 these were all also tag axle coaches. In around '05 the HR Imperial was moved to this chassis. Before '03 the Monaco Windsor was also built on this chassis but was never built as a tag axle.

Below these were the raised rail coaches. The main framing in these coaches is aluminum. RR8S for raised rail 8 air bag side radiator. The tag axles were RR10S
These coaches were:
1. Windsor/Imperial Windsor was on this chassis from '03-'06 when it was discontinued. The Imperial was moved to the S Series chassis in about '05.
2. Camelot/Scepter

The RR8R and RR10R coaches with the same construction but rear radiator were next:

1. Diplomat/Endeavor were the long time twins in this category.
2. Knight/Ambassador after '05 were on this chassis.

Over the years there were a number of other models on these chassis but where they fell in the line up changed.

Below these were the coaches on the RR4R and related chassis and the non airbag chassis that were build for some time. Monaco also built some gas powered chassis.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 06-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #12

Thanks Steve,
Now I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Trying to digest the information you've provided.

We did a lot of research before we bought our fifth wheel. It looks like I'll be doing the same on the motorhome. Thanks again for providing a newbie much needed information. I am glad I stumbled onto this site.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks Steve,
Now I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Trying to digest the information you've provided.

We did a lot of research before we bought our fifth wheel. It looks like I'll be doing the same on the motorhome. Thanks again for providing a newbie much needed information. I am glad I stumbled onto this site.

Doing the research and then the hunt is lots of fun. Visit dealers, shows and rally's and kick lots of tires.

Good luck & safe travels.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 06-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You might open up to Beaver in that year range... weren't they built my monaco in those years?

And everyone's right, it's very tough to determine if something is about to go wrong with the engine. Sometimes you CANT know, until it happens.

I would just make sure you buy in such a way that you have about 20k kicked back in "just in case" money.

And I would get my extended warranty through Wholesale Warranty. Find SKYBOSS on the forums, he has some contact info over there.. and I would certainly have one. Mine saved me SOME bucks on my 05 Revolution, but some things NO warranty will cover.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote