Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2016, 09:58 AM   #1

ABS brake control valve sticking?

2003 Monaco Knight RF wheel brake problems continue. Caliper pistons sticking. This is the 3rd new caliper,new pads and I continue to have braking problem on this Right Front wheel. While bleeding the complete braking system in the correct sequence according to the owners manual, We discovered that the RF caliper would NOT bleed, no air, nothing. The master cylinder reservoirs were maintained full of fluid. The only thing between the front master cylinder and the RF caliper is the ABS control module. We reversed the fluid flow from the wheel to the master cylinder and got a flood of fluid on the front fire wall so I know the line was open that direction. Again trying to bleed the RF wheel caliper, nothing.
It seems that a ball/shuttle valve in the controller is sticking. It is a Wabco AEH1X3568 module. we found it above the first bay back between the frame rails. We had to disassemble the bay to get to it. I've been told by Monaco Tech that the Control Module may not be functioning properly. Has anyone out there encountered this problem and if so where did you find a replacement module or a repair for this one? My first 30K on this RV were "trouble free" so to speak, but the last 8K have been very troublesome.
Thanks for any help/advice given. Old Buddy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #2

Before digging into the anti lock module, I would change the flex line to the right front wheel. Fluid one way does not guarantee the other.

Not a ton of $$ and a source of this kind of trouble.

If you already changed it, ignore this post.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #3

Yes, thanks. Had a new one made and changed it yesterday. No luck.
Thanks again, Old Buddy
Old 01-30-2016, 01:03 PM   #4

Abs brake control valve sticking

I neglected to give one final clue. There is NO braking on the RF wheel ow.
No brake fluid is getting to the caliper.
Old Buddy
Old 01-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #5

Is there any way you can plumb around the abs valve? This would atleast tell you if the abs valve is bad. I would assume it would take some sort of nipple to join the ends together. I am by no means an expert especially on brakes but seems like it might rule out some things.

Chad
Old 01-31-2016, 01:06 PM   #6

I'll have to look into that one, Chad. Thank You. You have given me an idea that maybe I can swap out the lines at the controller for the two front wheels to see if the problem changes sides. I believe this can be done without great effort. So far, I haven't located a replacement for the ABS module. (Wabco AEH1X3568)
Gary
Old 02-04-2016, 05:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Did you look here at the cross reference link?
www.meritorwabco.com
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:37 PM   #8

I just sent a private message to the OP. I am having a very similar problem. Had a caliper freeze. Rebuilt the entire front brake system and then lost all pressure to front calipers which caused a total front brake failure while descending a serious mountain pass. I am lucky to be alive. Rear fluid boiled as a result. Rear brakes then failed 1 minute after reaching the base of the mountain.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:20 AM   #9

Thanks for the reply Ed. My Knight has had this problem since about 20K miles.

It has always been the RF brake although all four wheel assemblies have been hot at one time or another. That problem was attributed to the brake pedal and the accelerator being mounted about 1/2 inch apart and at the same height and a "wide shoe". I fixed that problem with a modification to build up the thickness of the pad on the brake pedal. The RF wheel has continually been a "HOT" box when the caliper would not release and the pads remained partially deployed. After changing the pads, caliper, bearings and seals the third time, I replaced the ABS Modulator (after I located it). This has solved the dragging pad problem on the RF wheel, I hope. I haven't been on a long haul yet and will soon. I also plan a trip to the mountains later this year so just maybe.....? The ABS Modulator is located between the frame rails in the forward bay just aft of the fuel tank bay. You have to drop the plastic frame cover by removing several screws on both sides and moving it to the driver's side of the bay. It' too wide to be removed from the bay.. It also has sealant on the fore/aft joints that is easy to remove. You can Google the P/N of the ABS Module assembly for replacement Module. Check several suppliers because it list from over $4K to just under 2K depending on where you go.
Monaco gave me P/N 478-407-0620 as replacement, mine was P/N 478-407-0580 which I found one on Ebay
for $375. OldBuddy
Old 03-19-2016, 04:22 PM   #10

Old Buddy,

Thank you so much. I am sure that my problem is the ABS modulator. Wonder why the part number differed from what they gave you. Was is a Meritor Wabco part? Also do you remember if you can see the part number without removing it?
Old 03-19-2016, 06:31 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Lots of times the part # changes due to newer versions with some up-dates are manufactured. Sometimes different manufactures are making the "replacement" part.

Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:28 PM   #12

Yes, this one had the 478-407-0580 number on a sticker on the ABS Valve Assembly. And yes you can see it after you remove the large plastic cover hiding the ABS Valve Assembly between the frame rails. The replacement number that Monaco supplied I'm sure is an upgrade version, P/N 478-407-0620. I don't know but the Modulator P/N I used was the exact same one we took out. We may just repeat the same problem again.
Thanks, OldBuddy
Old 01-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #13

Was there a resolution to this problem OldBuddy ?

I have a 2003 Knight with the same problem of sticking calipers and now I am being told the ABS Valve/ controller needs replaced.

The best price I could find online is $800 on ebay. Could you please direct me to your supplier if you were able to find it for less.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcollection View Post
Was there a resolution to this problem OldBuddy ?

I have a 2003 Knight with the same problem of sticking calipers and now I am being told the ABS Valve/ controller needs replaced.

The best price I could find online is $800 on ebay. Could you please direct me to your supplier if you were able to find it for less.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I too have a 2003 Monaco Knight. I had the same problems. Ended with a total rear brake loss descending a mountain. It almost killed my whole family. There are some serious flaws to this system! Anyway. I found the ABS module totally clogged with rust. I found a replacement on ebay for about $300 I would offer the ebay seller less based on other selling prices of the item. PM me with any questions.

evotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, abs