Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #1

AC Belt 2004 Endeavor ISC

I noticed that the AC compressor belt will have some flexing when the compressor is not engaged. Once the compressor engages all belt flexing ceases. Is this normal?

There is no belt squeal when the compressor is not engaged. The ribbed belt is 3 years old and appears to be in good condition.

The belt tension appears to be good and I am afraid to tighten anymore.

I did have a mechanic look at the belt and was advised all appears normal. I question if the mechanic is giving me the correct advise. To tighten this belt appears to be extremely difficult and I wonder given how difficult it is the mechanic just did not want to attempt.

Access to the belt adjustment appears to be only by going through the access door inside the rear closet.From what I can feel and see with a mirror there appears to be a lock nut on a stud. I assume that the lock nut is loosen and attaching a wrench to the bottom of the stud increases or decreases the belt tenson.

I assume the lock nut is turned counter clock wise to loosen.
Turning the stud clockwise I assume increases the tension.

Stud and lock nut size is unknown.
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #2

If this is a single " V " belt driving the compressor as it's only load; and it doesn't chirp or squeal when the compressor engages , it's tight enough.
Some where I've seen a diagram showing the correct way to measure belt deflection on the drive set up you describe , and I've seen a video showing the belt movement with correct belt tension.
I'll try and track them down.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #3

the belt "flaps" a bit when AC is not on.The belt does not do so when the AC clutch is engaged as its now under pressure to drive the AC compressor
Not much point in asking a mechanic to look at anything if you either mistrust him or simply do not believe him
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #4

I've found pictures, of two different possible routing of the A/C belt.
One drives off the fan hub alone, and moving the compressor adjusts tension , second drives from the fan hub and has secondary tensioner.
Important to know which one you have before tensioning/checking belt.
The picture with the short belt ( red engine A/c compressor out of frame to top right) belt defection at center between pulleys would be 1/2" , the second, on the long run of the belt would be 3/4"
Still looking for the diagram.
Easy to see why side rad is preferred.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #5

My belt is run off the fan hub alone and there is no secondary tensioner. The adjuster for the belt sits below the compressor to the curb side. I would take a picture but cannot do so as my coach has a rear radiator.

Does any one know the bolt size and the adjuster size?
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote